Finding Other Force in 2-Force Problem

• Thread starter k31453
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, to find the other force acting on a 3.1 kg mass with an acceleration of a = 0.88 i - 0.28 j m/s2 when one force is F1 = -1.5 i - 3.0 j N, you can use the formula F2 = (0.88 i - 0.28 j) * 3.1. The total force vector is in the fourth quadrant, while F1 is in the third quadrant. To visualize this, you can make a sketch and see how to get from the third quadrant to the fourth quadrant.
k31453
Other Force problem !

Homework Statement

Two forces act on a 3.1 kg mass, which undergoes acceleration a = 0.88 i - 0.28 j m/s2. If one of the forces is F1 = - 1.5 i - 3.0 j N, what is the other force?

Homework Equations

I don't know how to visualize this !

The Attempt at a Solution

I know two component add to Force but I can't visualize. I know vectors as :
F2 = ( 0.88 i - 0.28 j) * 3.1 which is 4th quadrant and F1 will be 3rd quadrant but how i can visualize it !

Physics news on Phys.org
yep. One force is a vector which goes to the third quandrant, and the total vector is in the fourth quadrant. So how to get from the third quadrant to the fourth quadrant? maybe it is simpler than you are thinking.

Ok how do you know that's total vector ?

well, you got it by multiplying mass times acceleration, so by definition, that is the total force vector.

Cause... that's where i was gettin tricked.

Well, did you try making a sketch?

1. What is meant by "other force" in a 2-force problem?

In a 2-force problem, the two forces being considered are typically acting in opposite directions and are equal in magnitude. The "other force" refers to any additional forces acting on the object that are not included in the two forces being analyzed. These forces can influence the overall motion of the object and must be taken into account in the problem solving process.

2. How do you identify the "other force" in a 2-force problem?

The "other force" can be identified by carefully analyzing the situation and considering all possible forces that may be acting on the object. This may include external forces such as gravity, friction, or air resistance, as well as internal forces such as tension or compression within the object itself.

3. Why is it important to consider the "other force" in a 2-force problem?

Neglecting to consider the "other force" in a 2-force problem can result in inaccurate or incomplete solutions. These additional forces can significantly impact the motion and behavior of the object, and failing to account for them can lead to incorrect predictions or results.

4. How do you calculate the magnitude and direction of the "other force" in a 2-force problem?

The magnitude and direction of the "other force" can be calculated using Newton's laws of motion and other relevant principles, such as the law of universal gravitation. By carefully analyzing the situation and applying these principles, the magnitude and direction of the "other force" can be determined.

5. Can the "other force" in a 2-force problem ever be ignored?

In some cases, the "other force" in a 2-force problem may be negligible and can therefore be ignored without significantly impacting the solution. This usually occurs when the "other force" is much smaller in magnitude compared to the two main forces being analyzed. However, it is important to carefully assess the situation and determine if the "other force" can truly be ignored before making this decision.