1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Forces

1. Mar 30, 2004 #1
    I know there are 4 forces
    Gravity,Electromagnetisim,Strong and Weak

Does anyone know about any other forces, that they think are in the universe.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2004 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The dark energy that causes the accelerated expansion of the universe might be considered a diffferent force, but if it is explained by the cosmological constant in Einstein's field equations, then it's just an aspect of gravity.

4. Mar 30, 2004 #3
    I thought the cosmological constant was one of Einstein's biggest flops? At least that's what I remember reading in some book...

5. Mar 30, 2004 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Einstein introduced the cosmological constant for the wrong reason (he was trying to make his theory predict a steady-state universe). It seems there might a cosmological constant after all, but for an altogether different "reason," to explain the accelerating expansion of the universe.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook