1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other forums like this one

1. Jun 16, 2005 #1
    Does anyone have any links to other forums like this one? I've used google to find some other forums but this one is the best i've seen so far. :surprised

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2005 #2

JamesU

Gold Member

4. Jun 16, 2005 #3
    come on there has to be at least a few more.

5. Jun 16, 2005 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Jun 17, 2005 #5

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yeah and [itex]\infty[/itex] higher depth count.

7. Jun 17, 2005 #6

JamesU

Gold Member

actually, that board sucks (science forums.net)

8. Jun 17, 2005 #7

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. Jun 17, 2005 #8

JamesU

Gold Member

they have great smilies though

10. Jun 17, 2005 #9

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

...but can they do [tex]\LaTeX[/tex]?

11. Jun 17, 2005 #10

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

IMO, scienceforums.net is the only one that comes close. If you go there look for swansont, Severian, Martin, and dave for physics/math stuff. You can also find some PF regulars there, such as Janus, Matt Grime, and myself.

And they have LaTeX.

12. Jun 17, 2005 #11
    SFN seems quite dead compared to PF, IMO.

13. Jun 17, 2005 #12

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ebla Forum includes a section on the history and philosophy of science (and math?) which is, IMHO, of considerably greater depth than PF's on the same topic (perhaps not as lively though!).

Similarly, I expect there are other fora at least as good as PF's in areas outside its core (physics, astronomy/astrophysics/cosmology), e.g. in botany, geology, psychology.

14. Jun 17, 2005 #13
    content is similar

i post there too

indeed, far less activity then there is in here

marlon

15. Jun 17, 2005 #14
    I really thought that when i posted this question that there would be at the least 10 new sites that i'd learn about. I guess physics forums is a universe unto itself. BTW Nereid i like that site.

16. Jun 17, 2005 #15

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I could post links to 10 other forums that claim to be dedicated to science, but I wouldn't be doing you any favors by doing so. Most are unmoderated or have no committment to academic or scientific integrity.

17. Jun 17, 2005 #16

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's no point in comparing PF and other science forums.It's like putting an oversized lion and a bunch of kittens in a boxing ring...

Daniel.

18. Jun 17, 2005 #17
    Indeed. It is heresy to compare this forum to other 'comparable' forums.

19. Jun 17, 2005 #18
    what makes this site so special? I personally love this place,that's why i've given money to it. But what is the dynamic that makes this site "work" while others do not? how long has this site been around?

20. Jun 17, 2005 #19

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's hard to isolate one "ingredient" of the physicsforums.com recipe as that which makes the site the best on the web. We have an unbelievably qualified and dedicated staff, we have thousands and thousands of intelligent, well-spoken members. We have math typesetting. We have loads of google traffic. We help tons of kids with their homework. We have professional physicists, astronomers, biologists, chemists, and more (many of them, in fact!). We are a relatively strongly-censored forum, in that we have a no-nonsense policy. We quickly eliminate spam, off-topic nonsense, crackpot theories, and the like. We try to keep the overall quality of posts very high here; in the process we do, in fact, turn away a lot of people. Perhaps the "closed" nature of the forum is what makes it work so smoothly.

- Warren

21. Jun 17, 2005 #20

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I guess we've got a good owner.:wink:Greg's got other sites,too.The forum's advertised there,too.The homework idea was & still is a real hit.I mean,just think how many lazy people are in this world.The success was guaranteed.

It's all about marketing and knowing that an info,a reccomandation or a piece of advise is worth a lot.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?