Other Methods of Finding the Centre of Gravity

In summary, for your coursework on gender differences in whole body center of gravity position, you may consider using motion capture technology or force plates to measure center of gravity. Additionally, factors such as body composition, muscle mass and distribution, and hormonal influences may contribute to gender differences. Reliable sources for information include scientific journals and reaching out to experts in the field.
VJVJ

Homework Statement

I'm doing a coursework on ''Gender differences in whole body centre of Gravity position using the Reaction Board Method of measurement.''

Homework Equations

I want to find out what other methods can I use to find the center of gravity so I can put it in my evluation to test the validity of other methods.

2) Does anyone know any reliable sources which will explain why would there be gender differences? I'm going to use Kinathropometry by Roger Eston and Thomas Reilly but that's more of a manual.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried google but to no success.

I hope I've stayed within all the rules.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your coursework topic. It sounds like an interesting and important area of research. I can offer some suggestions for finding additional methods for measuring center of gravity and understanding gender differences.

One method that you could consider is the use of motion capture technology. This involves placing markers on different parts of the body and using cameras to track their movement. This can provide a more detailed and accurate measurement of center of gravity compared to the reaction board method.

Another method is the use of force plates, which measure the forces exerted by the body on the ground. This can also provide a more precise measurement of center of gravity and can be used in conjunction with motion capture technology.

In terms of understanding gender differences, there are several potential factors that could contribute to differences in center of gravity. These could include differences in body composition, muscle mass and distribution, and hormonal influences. I would suggest looking into studies that have investigated these factors and their potential impact on center of gravity.

Some reliable sources for information on this topic could include scientific journals such as the Journal of Biomechanics, Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, and the European Journal of Applied Physiology. You could also consider reaching out to experts in the field or attending conferences related to biomechanics or sports science.

I hope this helps in your research and evaluation. Best of luck with your coursework!

1. What are the other methods used to find the centre of gravity?

The other methods used to find the centre of gravity include the plumb line method, the parallelogram method, the triangle method, and the graphical method.

2. How does the plumb line method work?

The plumb line method involves suspending an object from a pivot point and allowing it to come to rest. The plumb line, which is a string with a weight attached to it, indicates the vertical line passing through the centre of gravity of the object. The point where the plumb line intersects with the object’s base is the centre of gravity.

3. Can you explain the parallelogram method?

The parallelogram method uses the principle of moments to find the centre of gravity. It involves drawing two lines from two opposite corners of the object and marking the midpoint of each line. The point where the two lines intersect is the centre of gravity.

4. What is the triangle method?

The triangle method is similar to the parallelogram method, but instead of using two lines, it uses three lines from three different corners of the object. The point where all three lines intersect is the centre of gravity.

5. How does the graphical method work?

The graphical method involves drawing a diagram of the object and its dimensions. By measuring the distances from the object’s edges to the centre of gravity and using the principle of moments, the centre of gravity can be determined.