Solve Otto Cycle Problem: Heat Rejection (300 kW)

• Thread starter PauloBuzon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cycle Otto
In summary: Qrejected = 300 kWIn summary, the problem involves calculating the amount of heat rejected in kW for an Otto engine with a clearance volume of 7% and producing 300 kW of power. The equations needed are the energy balance, efficiency definition, Otto cycle efficiency, and compression ratio definition. With four equations and four unknowns, the problem can be solved by finding the ratio of volume displacement to clearance volume and using the given efficiency and compression ratio equations.
PauloBuzon
hey my fellow ME please help me with this problem I am stuck at.

1. Homework Statement

An Otto engine has a clearance volume of 7%. It produces 300 kW of power. What is the amount of heat rejected in kW?

Homework Equations

Wnet=Qadded-Qrejected
(v2=Vc)Clearance Volume = (c)Clearance% x (Vd)Volume Displacement (v1-v2)
math_957_3c600cab6023f52bbd29dc8318ec44c9.png
where r is the compression ratio
math_971_ce19de842ccd4fc0be69a9950897fdfd.png

The Attempt at a Solution

rk(compression ratio) = (c+1)/c stuck i don't know where to start
then i should be able to solve the problem where Qrejected = Qadded - Work

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your missing an equation for efficiency.

DrClaude said:
Your missing an equation for efficiency.
i just edited it

Energy balance:
[tex]\dot{W} = \dot{Q}_{in} - \dot{Q}_{out}[/tex]
Efficiency definition:
[tex]n_{th} = \frac{\dot{W}}{\dot{Q}_{in}}[/tex]
Otto cycle efficiency:
[tex]n_{th} = 1- \frac{1}{r^{(\gamma-1)}}[/tex]
Compression ratio definition:
[tex]r = \frac{V_d + V_{cc}}{V_{cc}}[/tex]
You get 4 equations, 4 unknowns (##\dot{Q}_{in}##, ##\dot{Q}_{out}##, ##n_{th}##, ##r##), so you can resolve them. ##V_d## and ##V_{cc}## are not known but their ratio is given in the problem (and it is all that is really needed):
[tex]0.07 = \frac{V_{cc}}{V_d}[/tex]
(or it might be ##0.07 = \frac{V_{cc}}{V_d + V_{cc}}##; Not clear from the statement -> 7% of what?)

jack action said:
Energy balance:
[tex]\dot{W} = \dot{Q}_{in} - \dot{Q}_{out}[/tex]
Efficiency definition:
[tex]n_{th} = \frac{\dot{W}}{\dot{Q}_{in}}[/tex]
Otto cycle efficiency:
[tex]n_{th} = 1- \frac{1}{r^{(\gamma-1)}}[/tex]
Compression ratio definition:
[tex]r = \frac{V_d + V_{cc}}{V_{cc}}[/tex]
You get 4 equations, 4 unknowns (##\dot{Q}_{in}##, ##\dot{Q}_{out}##, ##n_{th}##, ##r##), so you can resolve them. ##V_d## and ##V_{cc}## are not known but their ratio is given in the problem (and it is all that is really needed):
[tex]0.07 = \frac{V_{cc}}{V_d}[/tex]
(or it might be ##0.07 = \frac{V_{cc}}{V_d + V_{cc}}##; Not clear from the statement -> 7% of what?)
7% clearance volume , clearance volume = cVd = c(v1-v2) so 0.07 = c(v1-v2)

1. What is an Otto Cycle?

The Otto Cycle is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle that describes the operation of a four-stroke internal combustion engine. It consists of four processes: intake, compression, power, and exhaust.

2. How is heat rejection calculated in the Otto Cycle problem?

Heat rejection in the Otto Cycle problem is calculated using the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a closed system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. In this case, heat rejection is the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system.

3. What is the unit of heat rejection in the Otto Cycle problem?

The unit of heat rejection in the Otto Cycle problem is typically expressed in watts (W) or kilowatts (kW), which represent the rate of heat transfer. In this case, the heat rejection is given as 300 kW.

4. Why is heat rejection important in the Otto Cycle problem?

Heat rejection is important in the Otto Cycle problem because it represents the amount of heat that is not converted into useful work by the engine. It is a measure of the engine's efficiency and can affect the overall performance and fuel consumption of the engine.

5. Can the heat rejection in the Otto Cycle problem be reduced?

Yes, the heat rejection in the Otto Cycle problem can be reduced by improving the engine's efficiency. This can be achieved through various methods such as increasing the compression ratio, using higher quality fuels, and improving the combustion process.