1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Otto cycle temperatures

1. Sep 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Gasoline engines operate approximately on the Otto cycle, consisting of two adiabatic and two constant-volume segments. The Otto cycle for a particular engine is shown in figure below. see atchmt

1. Find the maximum temperature in terms of the minimum temperature T_min. (gamma should be part of answer, where gamma = Cp/Cv -->Cp = 5R/2,Cv = 3R/2 --> R = 8.314

2. How does the efficiency compare with that of a Carnot engine operating between the same two temperature extremes? Note: Figure neglects the intake of fuel-air and the exhaust of combustion products, which together involve essentially no net work.

e_otto < e_carnot or e_otto = e_carnot or e_otto > e_carnot?

2. Relevant equations

ideal gas law, PV = nRT

otto cycle efficiency, e = 1 - (Cp/Cv)^-1 where Cp = 5R/2, Cv = 3R/2 where R = 8.314 constant

for otto cycle TV^(gamma -1) = constant where gamma = Cp/Cv

3. The attempt at a solution

for the problem about the temperature i used the TV^(gamma - 1) = constant equation and used T_min for T and thus used the figure to determine the corresponding volume

i used a rough calculation with PV = nRT to get a general idea of temp magnitude
    pt3: P = 3P_2, V = V_1/5
    pt4: P = 2P_2, V = V_1
    pt1: P = P_2/2, V = V_1
    pt2: P = P_2, V = V_1/5

and using T = PV/nR and subbing in each pressure and volume, and holding P_2, V_1, n and R = 1, i found pt4 = T = 2, pt3 = T = 3/5, pt2 = T = 1/5, pt1 = T = 1/2, so i assumed T_min is at pt2, and that T_max is at pt4.

how do i use the TV equation using T_min and gamma to describe T_max?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2008 #2
    no ideas?

i had another look and Tmax is at 3, and Tmin is at 1

using PV= nRT:
    Tmax = PV/nR = [3P_2(V_1/5)]/nR assume n, R, P_2 and V_1 = 1
    Tmin = PV/nR = [P_2/4(V_1)]/nR

so assuming n, R, P_2, V_1 = 1, then Tmax = 3/5 and Tmin = 1/4

so Tmax in terms of Tmin ---> (3/5)x = 1/4 --> x = 5/12 so Tmax = (5/12)Tmin

i'm not sure if i am correct because i need gamma in the answer, gamma = Cp/Cv

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?