1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

OTTO cyle

1. Nov 21, 2009 #1
    I have a general question about otto cycle. If we heat a gas with constant volume its temperature rise according to PV=mRT. However during Isentropic compression(delta Q and delta S is zero), the volume is becoming less and pressure is increasing but i don't know why the temperature should increase during this process. According to the above equation the temperature can increase or decrease but i don't know why it always increases..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2009 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The internal energy of an ideal gas is proportional to its temperature. The change of internal energy in a process is

[tex]\Delta U = Q + W [/tex]

where Q is the heat gained from the surroundings and W is the work of the external forces.
    When Q =0, a positive external work (compression) will increase the internal energy, so the temperature will increase, too.

ehild

4. Nov 21, 2009 #3
    Thanks alot... failed to think from internal energy's perspective.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook