Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ouch I hate it when that happens!

1. Aug 17, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ouch!!! I hate it when that happens!

With the understanding that Evo will require several pages here, :biggrin:, what are your most interesting episodes of self inflicted pain?

Motivation for thread: Popped my little finger like a pimple last night. The very tip was caught between an irresistible force and an immovable object. It literally popped the fingertip like a pimple. :surprised :cry: :cry: :cry:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Owwwwwwww!!!!!! Fingertips are so sensitive. My most recent self-inflicted injury is quite pain-free...I think I squashed one of the nerves in my thumb while sawing up the old fence rails into small enough pieces to put out for the trash, and now there's an annoying spot on the top of my thumb from the knuckle to the base of my fingernail that varies between numb and tingly (that feeling you get when you put your foot to sleep and it starts to wake up, but not quite so strong as that...it isn't painful, just odd feeling). I only notice when writing, because my pen rests there. But, I have hope that it's repairing itself since I do have feeling returned now between the first and second knuckle, which was also numb and tingly for a few days. This is all because the darn trigger was so hard to squeeze (which I suppose is meant to be a good thing so I didn't accidentally cut off a finger with too sensitive of a trigger) that I ended up pressing the base of my thumb really hard into the back of the handle grip to sort of make a fist to squeeze the trigger with my index finger. I guess men have a more developed grip for such things than women do. :rolleyes: :uhh:

I should sue...there's nothing in the instructions anywhere about causing nerve damage from holding it too tight! :grumpy: :rolleyes:

4. Aug 17, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Hmm... I tend not to hurt myself...

5. Aug 17, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Others usually do it for you? :biggrin:

6. Aug 17, 2005 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Grabbing onto an uninsulated spark plug just before my friend turned the engine over was quite funny.

Falling off my bike and hitting my unprotected head on a brick would have been funny if the remaining 18 hours hadn't been spent in A&E, drifting in and out of consciousness. I always wore a bike helmet after that, and actually ended up splitting one in half when the top tube landed on the top of my head following a pear-shaped dirt jump. Walked away from that one (after a quick vomit) with a headache, but escaped any permanent damage.

Helping my dad with some copper pipes when I was 5 was fun until my pale little arm got in the way of the blowtorch flame. And wiping a soldering iron on a wet chamois cloth on my lap was a wonderful idea until one day when I forgot to put the cloth on my lap. I was also wearing shorts.

Oh, and there's the obligatory "just how powerful is a staple gun?", which most teenagers have to ask themselves at some time. Very powerful, very powerful indeed.

7. Aug 17, 2005 #6
    Ouch, when drunk i sprayed myself with aerosol and set myself on fire, that was probably the most painful self inflicted incident. Kinda funny when played bk on tape though.

8. Aug 17, 2005 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Aaagh, ugh, :yuck: Eeeeewww. You've been inflicting a lot of injuries lately, didn't you break your third foot earlier this year?

9. Aug 17, 2005 #8
    So I was cutting through some frozen bacon a few nights ago with a nice dull serrated blade and managed to rip through a good part of my ring finger before I felt anything. :uhh:

10. Aug 17, 2005 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Not necessarily people....

Doors... walls... parked cars... etc.

11. Aug 17, 2005 #10
    Oh, so they walk into you....

12. Aug 17, 2005 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

From my journal - I was replacing a few fence boards and lost my footing, thanks to the JAWS OF DEATH (my dog) and fell forward. In my attempt to stop my fall I managed to partially impale my right wrist on a sharp piece of wood (it looks like a botched suicide attempt) and also got splinters up and down both hands and arms. I was trying not to hurt my knee that I had previously seriously injured (trip to the emergency room) when I fell on a glass, which by the force of my knee impacting it on the ground (I knocked the glass off the counter trying to break my fall) shattered and the razor sharp base of the glass went through my knee. The leg brace is off, the stitches have been removed.

Of course this was after I tripped and fell downstairs, actually I ended up bouncing into the air, then flipping over backwards and flew airborne face up, headfirst into the floor at the base of the stairs. Luckily I landed on my head, so no serious injuries, except to my right hip, which has bone splinters from the initial impact that flipped me backwards. It was a fun ambulance ride, although I didn't think it was necessary. Apparently, once they find out you have insurance, the ride is mandatory. After arguing with the paramedics for 30 minutes, I realized I was going, even if it meant that they had to injure me themselves.

Yesterday, I just sliced my thumb open wrestling with some 8 foot tall alien creatures growing in the back 40, sure, they LOOK like weeds, but I know better. Ok, I couldn't find my gloves, so I was doing all this barehanded.

Then I had to change the battery on the riding mower. Piece of cake, except I lost my grip on the wrench and it fell and made contact with the other pole and wow, metal melts fast! Of course I got a nice little burn on the back of my hand. I found a large piece of wood and was able to pry the wrench off of the battery without too much damage.

13. Aug 17, 2005 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes it has been a rough year. :yuck: And trying to type without the pinkie is no small challenge. :grumpy: The bathroom is sooooooo close to being done but this cost me an entire evening! I had to lay down - trying to pass out from the pain - while trying to stop the bleeding.

I almost managed the entire remodel without an injury. :grumpy:

14. Aug 17, 2005 #13
    Ripping off the tape used to cover the two incisions on my chest. Oh! All three of my manly chest hairs are gone! It took me 18 years to grow them! I had to change them daily. After a while your skin turns red and gets really iritated because each time you rip it off it takes a layer of skin with it. Not to mention the area is already sore from the incisions.

15. Aug 17, 2005 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

yah yah! stupid doors, dont know how to go around me.

16. Aug 17, 2005 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ugh. That sounds REALLY painful. The closest I ever came to passing out from pain wasn't really due to pain so much as thinking about the pain that was coming. I was wearing sandals and went out to the store with my mom and sister (I was a kid then). We went to Sears and my sister grabbed the door and yanked it open (I seem to recall the doors were lighter than at most stores, so opened surprisingly fast). My toe was quite in the way of the door and it took a nice chunk out of my toe. There was the moment of blinding pain (even if it hadn't taken a chunk out of it, it was still a good hard whack, and you know how you see stars when you stub a toe hard), and then a moment later that the blood started to pour out of my toe. Did you know Sears used to have a nurse on duty in the store? I got to visit her. The wooziness came when it was time to take off the tissue my mom stuck on it for the walk to the nurse's office and the peroxide was about to be poured over it. I knew how much the toe was already hurting and knew how much more it was going to hurt when anything was poured onto it! I thought I was going to throw up.

Sure, if you don't count nearly killing yourself inhaling toxic black mold spores! :tongue:

17. Aug 17, 2005 #16
    natural selection in progress, people.

18. Aug 17, 2005 #17
    I hardly ever hurt myself. But now I'm guessing, because I said that, something ominous will be lurking in the shadows. :bugeye:

19. Aug 17, 2005 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Watch out for that tiger!

20. Aug 17, 2005 #19
    I have hurt myself quite a few times but never really in an interesting fashion. Most of the time the incidents are so uninteresting that I don't even know I received an injury until I just happen to see blood or a bruise on me somewhere.
    I was once bitten by a rabbit. People always seem to think that is odd for some reason.
    I was hit by a truck once while crossing the street. It wasn't my fault though.

21. Aug 17, 2005 #20

Pengwuino

Gold Member

A rabbit bit me before too! Those bastards...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?