What are the potential risks and complications of a mechanical pencil injury?

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanical
In summary: I don't know what you're talking about.In summary, the puncture wound in the leg from a mechanical pencil is extremely painful and may be infected. The person seems to be self-medicating with topical neosporin and antibiotics.
Just exactly where did you have the tip of that pencil before you stabbed yourself with it? :bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Just exactly where did you have the tip of that pencil before you stabbed yourself with it? :bugeye:
I think I found the pencil on the ground.
I'm going to lay down now and go to sleep. If I can walk tomorrow I'll go to the doctor

tribdog said:
I think I found the pencil on the ground.
I'm going to lay down now and go to sleep. If I can walk tomorrow I'll go to the doctor

:mad: :grumpy: :mad: Go NOW! Keep worrying me about you and your leg and I really am going to show up and cut the darned thing off! :mad: :grumpy: :mad:

That's one way to get you to show up.
I'm okay, my leg hurts and I probably need some stronger antibiotics, but I've been taking care of the wound with lots of hydrogen peroxide and neosporin and an antibiotic creme.
I'm sure the fainting and nausea and high fever have nothing to do with my leg. jk.
I'll be okay I'm a tough guy and I'm very difficult to kill. If I don't see some real improvement tomorrow I'll go to the doctor. thanks for caring though, I'm glad that my final memories on this Earth will be pleasant ones, knowing you care.

I accidentally stabbed myself with a pencil in the thigh once. It didn't get infected or anything like Tribdog. The pencil "lead" has been in my leg for over ten years and you can still see it!

ek said:
I accidentally stabbed myself with a pencil in the thigh once. It didn't get infected or anything like Tribdog. The pencil "lead" has been in my leg for over ten years and you can still see it!
how deep is it?Mine is so deep I actually stabbed myself in the other leg.

tribdog said:
That's one way to get you to show up.
I'm okay, my leg hurts and I probably need some stronger antibiotics, but I've been taking care of the wound with lots of hydrogen peroxide and neosporin and an antibiotic creme.
I'm sure the fainting and nausea and high fever have nothing to do with my leg. jk.
I'll be okay I'm a tough guy and I'm very difficult to kill. If I don't see some real improvement tomorrow I'll go to the doctor. thanks for caring though, I'm glad that my final memories on this Earth will be pleasant ones, knowing you care.

Trust me, you don't want me to show up mad and with a bone-saw in my hands!

Okay, if mad doesn't work...

:cry: :cry: :cry: Go see a doctor! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I guess it could have been worse, you could have been playing with a nail gun.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/16/nailgun.accident.ap/?section=cnn_topstories

I'm still boggled how this guy could have NOT realized he shot himself with a nail through the roof of his mouth! OUCH!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been thinking about getting a nail gun

tribdog said:

No! No! NO! If you buy a nail gun, I'm breaking up with you...I couldn't take the stress of worrying about you owning a nail gun!

no nail gun.
I'm going to the doctor now, talk to you later.

tribdog said:
no nail gun.
I'm going to the doctor now, talk to you later.

:smile: Thank you...on both accounts. See you later!

tribdog, I am so glad you are going to the doctor. Please let us know how you are when you get back.

p.s. you need a nail gun like you need a .. er .. hole in the head!

Math Is Hard said:
p.s. you need a nail gun like you need a .. er .. hole in the head!

Don't start giving him any ideas. :rofl:

I think Greg needs a separate server and a forum tab for your spamruns

cronxeh said:
I think Greg needs a separate server and a forum tab for your spamruns
What are you talking about? What spam?

Trib - thanks for going to the doctor. I've been very worried about your leg. Are you back yet? What did he/she say? If he doesn't answer, do we get to assume that he gets to be a guest at the Inn for the night (for IV antibiotics)? Hope it doesn't come to that... :bugeye:

Don't forget you've got your private nurses Moonbear, Tsu, and MIH on call if you need special attention!

Tsu said:
Trib - thanks for going to the doctor. I've been very worried about your leg. Are you back yet? What did he/she say? If he doesn't answer, do we get to assume that he gets to be a guest at the Inn for the night (for IV antibiotics)? Hope it doesn't come to that... :bugeye:

Tsu, I don't know. He might have gotten home and just decided to head to bed, but then again, I was hoping he'd report back when he returned. From what he was describing to me last night, I'm a bit concerned you may have guessed right about them keeping him as a guest at the inn. :frown: But hopefully that will fix him right up and get him back on his feet again.

Math Is Hard said:
Don't forget you've got your private nurses Moonbear, Tsu, and MIH on call if you need special attention!

Just remember, I'm the one who gives him the sponge baths! :biggrin:

tribdog hasn't been back on here since he said he was going to the doctor last night...do you think they decided to keep him? Do they know how dangerous keeping a tribdog at the hospital can be, what with all those oxygen tanks around and his propensity for starting fires? If anyone hears about a hospital exploding in AZ, let me know!

Alright, someone here needs to get his phone number and address. That way we can call him to see if he's OK and if we doesn't answer, we can send the cops to his address to make sure he hasn't gotten himself into some predicament from which he needs to be extricated (or extracted)! :rofl: :rofl:

Tsu said:
Alright, someone here needs to get his phone number and address. That way we can call him to see if he's OK and if we doesn't answer, we can send the cops to his address to make sure he hasn't gotten himself into some predicament from which he needs to be extricated (or extracted)! :rofl: :rofl:

I have his address, but that doesn't help much without a phone number, does it? :rolleyes: I don't think he needs cops at his address since most of his predicaments require the fire department and/or rescue squad, and cops around only seem to worsen his predicaments. In this case, I don't think calling would help much anyway...he's either cooling his heels in a hospital bed getting an IV drip of the good stuff, or he's off at work limping around cactus plants with electrical tape on his eyebrow. :biggrin:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

tribdog said:
I got one for Christmas this year. I'm also thinking of getting a ramset. (.22cal fired nailgun for nailing into concrete.) I'm sure we could have lots of fun with that one.:rolleyes:
Mike

I just thought of something, Now all three of us (Trib, myself, and the middle brother, Dan) have had pencils stuck in us.
Trib- self-inflicted.
Mine- self-inflicted.
Dan- Mike-inflicted.
Mike

mjwhip2 said:
I got one for Christmas this year. I'm also thinking of getting a ramset. (.22cal fired nailgun for nailing into concrete.) I'm sure we could have lots of fun with that one.:rolleyes:
Mike

Mike, forget whatever your mother taught you, sharing with your brother is bad, very bad, don't do it! Or, at least wait until tribdog lists me as beneficiary on his life insurance. :wink: :biggrin:

mjwhip2 said:
I just thought of something, Now all three of us (Trib, myself, and the middle brother, Dan) have had pencils stuck in us.
Trib- self-inflicted.
Mine- self-inflicted.
Dan- Mike-inflicted.
Mike

So this runs in the family? :eek: