Are All Events Predetermined By The Big Bang?

• Thread starter Oblivion
  • Start date
In summary, the big bang created every particle in existence, and the movement of these particles was dictated by the big bang. They moved and collided with one-another based on their original vectors, and created new vectors and new particles. Following the big bang, more and more variables were created (variables meaning a particle, or molecule or solar system...anything in existence), but they can all be traced back to the big bang by looking at the preceding variable, and the one before it, and before it, etc. You can follow the movement of matter and energy all the way down to the creation of Earth and the dawn of human civilization. At this point there are billions of different variables in existence, Earth and everything
I completely agree that out beliefs determine our behaviour. However the dictionary definition of belief makes it clear that one cannot have a belief unless one is conscious. If this is true then then consciousnes is causal. As science is adamant that consciousness is not causal then science states that beliefs do NOT affect out behaviour. Either beliefs do not determine behaviour or science is wrong.

Perhaps the neural correlates (or whatever) of beliefs have an effect, but not the beliefs themselves.

To be honest I don't understand how science reconciles the placebo affect with physicalism. I might start a thread to ask.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
well, your first mistake is accepting a dictionary definition as a scientificly or philosophically examinable concept. A dictionary definition is a definition which allows you to have a vague idea of what is being spoken about. Philosophical definitions are much more rigourous.

Secondly, I don't know where you get the idea that consciousness cannot be causal. No one even knows what consciousness even is, how can claims be made about the causality of it. If consciousness is a direct corelate to brain function, then consciousness can be said to be as equally causal as brain state is.

Do you believe that brain states are causal?
Oh:
Perhaps the neural correlates (or whatever) of beliefs have an effect, but not the beliefs themselves.
yeah, exactly. The brain state that = x belief is the causal factor. but we don't even know whether 'the belief itself' is any different to the brain state x.

As you know, this how consciousness/brain state stuff is very confusing and almost not at all understood, so it is hard to go and make any claims based on it. The fact exists though, beliefs are directly correlated to the brain in some way, and whatever belief a brain holds has a direct consequence on other aspects of the brain and body.

Originally posted by Another God
well, your first mistake is accepting a dictionary definition as a scientificly or philosophically examinable concept. A dictionary definition is a definition which allows you to have a vague idea of what is being spoken about. Philosophical definitions are much more rigourous.
I think you'll find that any definition of 'belief' will imply consciousness. It's pretty obvious really.

Secondly, I don't know where you get the idea that consciousness cannot be causal.
From science, it's not my idea. It is currently the scientific orthodoxy that the phsyical world is causally complete and that consciousnes is not causal. Argue with scientists not me.

No one even knows what consciousness even is, how can claims be made about the causality of it.
Scientifically speaking I agree.

If consciousness is a direct corelate to brain function, then consciousness can be said to be as equally causal as brain state is.
Not quite. It can be argued that the correlates would function identically if we were not conscious. Whay you say here is true only if consciousness is the correlate.

Do you believe that brain states are causal?
Of course. The question is what they do cause and what they don't.

yeah, exactly. The brain state that = x belief is the causal factor. but we don't even know whether 'the belief itself' is any different to the brain state x.
But we do know this, this is why question arises. You can't argue that something is the correlate of itself.

As you know, this how consciousness/brain state stuff is very confusing and almost not at all understood, so it is hard to go and make any claims based on it.
Surely it is possible to make claims on logical and experiential grounds?

The fact exists though, beliefs are directly correlated to the brain in some way, and whatever belief a brain holds has a direct consequence on other aspects of the brain and body. [/B]
You can state this but that doesn't make it a fact. If you could prove it is a fact, or even that it is a scientifically coherent idea you'd be famous. For science beliefs do not affect brains, the causation is strictly one way.

Last edited:
GET READY !

it is my opinion that our physical word and it's reality is driven by beliefs. we will experience the world based on our beliefs. we are born into a physical world that has certian rules of nature that we have agreed to accept.

from that point forward, what we are within our being, is projected outward to create our experience. this happens on many, many levels, to include telepathic communication with those that will assist us in fulfilling our thoughts. if we worry that we will have an accident, our thoughts go out and attract participants, circumstances, etc. again, these thoughts are completed based on our inner beliefs.

a recent study did show that people that felt lucky won more in games of chance. those who felt unlucky had poor results. then they educated the unlucky ones about their beliefs and low and behold, they improved their success.

the power of positive thinking is just the surface, we need to explore BELIEFS and REALITY CREATION more closely.

if i believe i have freewill and i determine all actions, it is so.

peace,

I think that there may be some truth in that, but I suspect it's not so black and white. It's doubtful that either idealism or realism is true since neither can be proved or falsified.

canute; i live in a genius' paradise. i believe that i have full control over my reality and i am blessed with freewill.

the alternative is no freewill and my life experiences are imposed on me. gawd, even typing it out makes me want to vomit! that would be a very sad way of going through life.

yeah i know, it is the hedge your bets type of statement. but, since neither can be proven til we pass, it's much more fun and liberating to believe that i am master of my own universe; in fact exhilerating.

you must admit, however, that there is much anecdotal and circumstantial evidence to suggest that i am right. since i already admitted to being a betting man, i'll wager you 2 all expense paid trips to the other side of our galaxy that i am right. (payable at the probable debriefing after death) are we on?

peace,

Ok. But you have to acknowledge that you cannot have freewill without deterministic phsyical causation. Unless physical determinism applies to physical ineractions to some extent then there is no way of exercising freewill, your actions would have no effect. It's surely got to be a synthesis, not all one or the other.

I have always found it a mystery as to what was before the Big Bang. How can something be made out of nothing? And if there was something before the Big Bang, then the Big Bang isn't the beginning. And how can you define the beginning of something? How can life be forced into something that has no innate life?
There are other threads on this forum that have introduced the concept of consciousness into their scientific arguments however where did consciousness begin? Even without complex scientific theories surely logic has to come into play to show that consciousness has existed right from the very beginning of 'time'.
To quote Roger S Jones " I had come to suspect, and now felt compelled to acknowledge, that science and the physical world were products of human imagining - that we were not the cool observers of that world, but its passionate creators. We were all poets and the world was our metaphor"
So if we are passsionate creators how can our actions be predetermined? Surely it is more exciting to create than to move on a predetermined path.
There is a body of Material that explores consciousness and all its implications called the Seth Material. There is also an extremely useful website, www.sethworx.com that explains more about this Material and how it is being backed up by findings within Quantum Physics. It certainly helped make the Big Bang theory make sense to me!

In reply to olde drunk, I also agree that I create my own reality and that it is based on my beliefs! And I agree that 'you get what you concentrate on'.
We each have free will in all our actions, however the hardest part to explain is that of how we see 'other people' within our reality.
What also seems to be difficult within this argument is how to explain consciousness within the concept of the brain, for really it should be discussed within the framework of the mind.
To quote Schrodinger "Consciousness is that by which this world first becomes manifest, by which indeed, we can quite calmly say, it first becomes present; that the world consists of the elements of consciousness..."
However there is a very exciting course that explains more about the nature of reality, have a look at www.sethworx.com