Our Beautiful Universe - Photos and Videos

In summary: I love it and the clip finishes with a great quote:In summary, these threads are all about the beauty and awesomeness of our Universe. If you feel like it, please share video clips and photos (or nice animations) of space and objects in space in this thread. Your posts, clips and photos may by all means include scientific information; that does not make it less beautiful to me (n.b. the posts must of course comply with the PF guidelines, i.e. regarding science, only mainstream science is allowed, fringe/pseudoscience is not allowed).
bruha said:
I attach result of Jupiter image stacking
awesome effort ! :smile:

Are you using any editing software to tidy up the stacked image ?
If you have lightroom, GIMP or similar, you would be able to get rid of most of that green hue

Dave

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi Dave and thank you for advise.. I will try it. (green hue is due to camera software adjusting-I use camera Bresser HD) :smile:

bruha said:
(green hue is due to camera software adjusting-I use camera Bresser HD) :smile:
OK ... with a little editing you should be able to get rid of that :)

Hi, I send my attempt with GIMP (I supposed that by the help of "magic wand" highlight strips will be possible but it recognize another some colours area :frown:...)
Have nice days (nowadays is terribly hot in Prague till the late night)

Attachments

• Jupiter.png
    Jupiter.png
    413 bytes · Views: 196
Likes DennisN and davenn
Hi, here is another attempt by GIMP- I hope little better.
:smile::smile:

Attachments

• 0008Jupiter.jpg
    0008Jupiter.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 216
Likes DennisN and davenn
:smile::smile:
bruha said:
Hi, here is another attempt by GIMP- I hope little better.
looking better :smile:

the usual trick to do simple colour balancing is to do a "white balance" on an image
Hopefully you still have your original image ? and saved edited images with a different filename ?

Never overwrite an original image :smile:

Hi, and thank you for advise.. I attach "white balance" Jupiter and Moon image processed by similar way..
Have nice day...:smile:

Attachments

• Moon1.jpg
    Moon1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 196
  • JUPITER.jpg
    JUPITER.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 161
Likes davenn
Sunspots/active region of the new solar cycle, cycle #25

Its is high latitude and reverse magnetic polarity
( the active region towards the lower limb)

latest_aia_193.gif

latest_hmi_mgram.gif
It's been quite some time since we last saw an active region of the new cyclecheers
Dave

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes DennisN and pinball1970
Hi Dave , its very interesting...it is mean that sunspot region is in lower part and little left on images?
Today I make observation with solar filter and did not see any sunspots -do you think it could depend as well on Earth location? (i.e. Prague versus Sydney for example)? So lot of succes and have nice days

Likes pinball1970
bruha said:
.it is mean that sunspot region is in lower part and little left on images?

Yes :smile:

bruha said:
Today I make observation with solar filter and did not see any sunspots -do you think it could depend as well on Earth location?

No, We all see the same sun

This is a reasonably small region, visible spots are not always there. They were, in that active region, a
couple of days ago. This morning ( Thursday) I notice there is nothing visible

bruha said:
So lot of succes and have nice days

And to you too :smile:

Dave

Hi and thanks for answer- it is clear. (although I think taking rigorously while day "sun moving" we see always see litlle diferent part :)) . Do you have some experience with observing sun through H-alpha filter? -I am thinking about it. Hi and have nice day :)

bruha said:
Do you have some experience with observing sun through H-alpha filter? -I am thinking about it.

Yes, have been doing Ha solar imaging and observing for a couple of years
See this thread that I have dedicated to that ...
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/solar-imaging-and-techniques.925656/
A solar Ha system is quite expensive my system cost
AU$2950 just for the scope/filter system,
I use the same tracking mount as I do for the night time scopes.
My images start at around post #66 on page 3 of that thread.
The images in the first couple of pages are with the mylar style filter for capturing sunspots
cheers
Dave

A couple of quick pix of this morning's partial Lunar eclipse, just before sunrise from Sydney, Australia.
The moon was getting low to the western horizon. Trying to photo through a thick layer of atmosphere wasn't exactly conducive to good quality images

Canon 6D, 100-400mm L lens @400mm and x2 teleconverter.

IMG_9942sm.jpg

IMG_9949sm.jpg

Dave

Last edited:
Likes DennisN and Andy Resnick
Hi Dave , it is quite interesting, (we can observe it this night as well but from oposite side :smile:). Anyway nowadays is good condition for Saturn observing but late cca 0.30 hod. so I plan to try make some images if will be clear. Hi

Likes davenn
~3am, looking southwest about a week ago, about 150miles north of San Francisco, CA USA along Interstate-5, 14mm dslr lens, 2.8f, 2000iso, 10sec, full frame raw
IMG-2331.jpg

IMG-2306.jpg

^Andromeda galaxy is visible close the center of the frame on this one, just to the right of the Milky Way

• Love
Likes Klystron, Andy Resnick, pinball1970 and 4 others
metastable said:
~3am, looking southwest about a week ago, about 150miles north of San Francisco, CA USA along Interstate-5, 14mm dslr lens, 2.8f, 2000iso, 10sec, full frame raw
Thankyou for sharing :smile:

Dave

metastable said:
View attachment 246760

View attachment 246761

^Andromeda galaxy is visible close the center of the frame on this one, just to the right of the Milky Way
Wow, amazing image.

Houston, we've got a full moon, so I took some photos last night with my mobile phone attached to my small miniscope.

ISO 50, 1/200 s exposure, f/1.8, 40 stacked photos with Registax.
48312062421_fb888bf189_z.jpg

A bright Moon and clouds, ISO 50, 1 s exposure, f/1.8
48312180202_d08cfcb572_c.jpg

My miniscope and a bright Moon in the sky:
48312059646_257ccf352e_z.jpg

• Love
Likes Klystron, davenn and OmCheeto
davenn said:
Thankyou for sharing :smile:
pinball1970 said:
Wow, amazing image.
bonus (nikon d800 w/ nikon 14-24mm lens @ 14mm, 2.8f, 2000iso, 10sec, raw capture, looking south along I-5 ~150miles north of san francisco, california):
IMG-2311.jpg

Likes Klystron, pinball1970 and DennisN
DennisN said:
Houston, we've got a full moon, so I took some photos last night with my mobile phone attached to my small miniscope.

ISO 50, 1/200 s exposure, f/1.8, 40 stacked photos with Registax.
View attachment 246784

A bright Moon and clouds, ISO 50, 1 s exposure, f/1.8
View attachment 246785

My miniscope and a bright Moon in the sky:
View attachment 246786
The top image has a slightly brown hue to it, a little bit of dust pollution in the atmosphere?

pinball1970 said:
The top image has a slightly brown hue to it, a little bit of dust pollution in the atmosphere?
Houston, we've got a brown full Moon! :biggrin:

I think it is due to the fast exposure and low ISO (image sensor sensitivity), which makes it darker. And the hue probably also got changed in the photo above, since I increased the constrast in the photo editor.

Here is one of the original photos with ISO 50, 1/200 s exposure:
48317484211_de9d8bc672_n.jpg

Comparison with another photo with ISO 50, 1/100 s exposure:
48317484276_0bce2a274e_n.jpg

And another photo with ISO 50, 1/30 s exposure:
(and here it gets so bright that fewer details are visible)
48317559731_c6ec343594_n.jpg

Last edited:
Likes davenn and pinball1970
DennisN said:
Houston, we've got a brown full Moon! :biggrin:

I think it is due to the fast exposure and low ISO (image sensor sensitivity), which makes it darker. And the hue probably also got changed in the photo above, since I increased the constrast in the photo editor.

Here is one of the original photos with ISO 50, 1/200 s exposure:
View attachment 246817

Comparison with another photo with ISO 50, 1/100 s exposure:
View attachment 246818

And another photo with ISO 50, 1/30 s exposure:
(and here it gets so bright that fewer details are visible)
View attachment 246819
Interesting, the bottom image is a blue moon compared to the one above so more exposure? I rarely take notice of all the kit and technology I am too busy looking at the great images.

pinball1970 said:
Interesting, the bottom image is a blue moon compared to the one above so more exposure?

You see blue in there ??

edit
Ohhh, I assume you mean his earlier post, the one with the tripod in it ?

davenn said:
You see blue in there ??

edit
Ohhh, I assume you mean his earlier post, the one with the tripod in it ?
Sorry yes #543

Likes davenn
pinball1970 said:
Interesting, the bottom image is a blue moon compared to the one above so more exposure?

I think each image can be as blue or yellow as one decides based on the camera/raw processing color temperature setting...

color-temperature.jpg

Likes davenn
metastable said:
I think each image can be as blue or yellow as one decides based on the camera/raw processing color temperature setting...

View attachment 246821
I hope to join you guys with some images, when I am back off holiday I am going to try out my (rather cheap) telescope.
So temp, do you mean CCT? Of your 'white/standard white?' or do you do this to add colour to your white light images? For aesthetics ?

Likes DennisN
metastable said:
Yes, but straight out of camera and they will look bluish for a wide field of the moon.
Plus those image with a phone camera, so unlikely to be a RAW file, just a good ol xxx.jpg 😉Dave

Likes DennisN
pinball1970 said:
So temp, do you mean CCT? Of your 'white/standard white?' or do you do this to add colour to your white light images? For aesthetics ?
As far as I know every digital slr will choose a white balance / color temperature setting for you automatically unless you choose one manually, or by capturing the raw sensor data (RAW format, which has a much larger color space than the JPG format), and then choosing the setting before applying the conversion settings to the final presentation jpg format. doing the raw processing this way let's you decide all of the conversion settings, rather than the camera choosing what color data to "throw away" when downsizing/compressing to JPG.

Likes pinball1970
here's a screen shot of the RAW file:

raw-file.jpg

presentation JPG:

IMG-2311.jpg

• Wow
Likes cbrtea2000, Klystron, DennisN and 1 other person
metastable said:
As far as I know every digital slr will choose a white balance / color temperature setting for you automatically unless you choose one manually, or by capturing the raw sensor data (RAW format, which has a much larger color space than the JPG format), and then choosing the setting before applying the conversion settings to the final presentation jpg format. doing the raw processing this way let's you decide all of the conversion settings, rather than the camera choosing what color data to "throw away" when downsizing/compressing to JPG.
Ok thanks, best way to learn is to get some images and have a go I think. I think I may have a few questions for you guys once I get started.

Likes DennisN and davenn
Here is a list I found of reasons to shoot in RAW mode instead of JPEG...

https://photographyconcentrate.com/10-reasons-why-you-should-be-shooting-raw/

I took a screenshot of the reason I personally view as most important...

raw.jpg

^the reference to "levels of brightness" refers to "per channel" or "per color," so 256 "levels of brightness" with a JPEG means only 256 R, 256 G, 256 B, as opposed to 4096 or 16384 in RAW.

I personally find this means in practice the RAW file contains a lot of "hidden" information in the shadow areas of the image (compared to a JPG)... information which would ordinarily be lost if the RAW had been converted to a JPG with "standard" conversion settings.

IMG-2330.jpg

raw-2330.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes cbrtea2000, pinball1970, Klystron and 1 other person
davenn said:
Plus those image with a phone camera, so unlikely to be a RAW file, just a good ol xxx.jpg
Yes, the photos were taken as .jpg, but I can actually take RAW photos too with my LG G4 phone (and the camera is pretty impressive for being on a phone). I will try RAW next time!

metastable said:
Thanks for the inspiration, @metastable, I will try photographing in RAW next time!

Likes davenn
By the way the RAW to JPG conversion in my photos was done with Adobe Lightroom.

DennisN said:
Yes, the photos were taken as .jpg, but I can actually take RAW photos too with my LG G4 phone (and the camera is pretty impressive for being on a phone). I will try RAW next time!
The huge advantage with processing RAW over jpg is that there is no compression with RAW files.
This means that they will handle substantial processing without being further corrupted.
JPG's are already significantly compressed and full of those compression artifacts, so doing editing
on them only worsens the artifacts in the image.Dave

Likes DennisN
Hi I attach some Gimp processed image of the moon . On image nr.0007G2 is possible to see crater with middle peak (I suppose ) on right border of siluette in dark area. Yesterday I was trying catch saturn by my PC CAM Bresser Ful HD but without succes-maybe sensitivity (gain) is to low for Saturn. Lot of succes :frown:

Attachments

• 0001G.jpg
    0001G.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 219
  • 0007G2.jpg
    0007G2.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 236
  • 0007G.jpg
    0007G.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 214
Likes davenn and DennisN