Our Beautiful Universe - Photos and Videos

In summary: I love it and the clip finishes with a great quote:In summary, these threads are all about the beauty and awesomeness of our Universe. If you feel like it, please share video clips and photos (or nice animations) of space and objects in space in this thread. Your posts, clips and photos may by all means include scientific information; that does not make it less beautiful to me (n.b. the posts must of course comply with the PF guidelines, i.e. regarding science, only mainstream science is allowed, fringe/pseudoscience is not allowed).
Hi thank you very much for answer and links- I am interested about this theme so I will study this. My picture was made by hyperion eyepiece 8 mm on Newton 100 x 600 mm and sony compact camera objective just attached through T-ring . But now I got Nikon DS 200 body with bajonet .. so I will hope that made some improvement.:wink:

Likes davenn
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi

:rolleyes:Hi I attach my last attempt colour saturated moon image by photoshop- jpg format,( but when I saved as jpg from photoshop it lost almost 50% of saturation- -I do not why and original photoshop is too large-cca 120 MB!). If you could estimate if it could be real colour ...? :nb)

Attachments

• mon9.jpg
    mon9.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 498
M13 is visible here this time of year:

Hercules_3X_24small_zpsxvn1ajuo.jpg

This was digitally zoomed to mimic a 2400mm focal length (stacking w/ 3X dithering), total integration time 24 minutes @ f/5.6. This cluster has long been difficult (for me) to obtain a decent image: @davenn checked through my work a while ago, and it really helped. Every year I learn improved ways to acquire, stack, denoise, and convert to a 8-bit/channel final image. It's also a good warm-up for imaging the dense starfields in Cygnus in another month or so.

Attachments

• Hercules_3X_24small_zpsxvn1ajuo.jpg
    Hercules_3X_24small_zpsxvn1ajuo.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 499
Likes DennisN and davenn
Andy Resnick said:
M13 is visible here this time of year:
M13 doesn't get above the horizon for me in the southern hemisphere, instead we have the majestic Omega Centauri globular cluster

This is the first deep space object I have imaged through the Skywatcher scope ( the same setup as in post #303 up this page)
Skywatcher 120mm x 1000mm focal length, Black Diamond, refractor telescope and the ZWO ASI1600MM camera
a 2 sec exposure @ F8.3

180519 Omega Centauri Cap009sm.jpg
Dave

Attachments

• 180519 Omega Centauri Cap009sm.jpg
    180519 Omega Centauri Cap009sm.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 639
Likes DennisN and Andy Resnick
Now the Ring Nebula (M57) is viewable from my backyard; here's a full frame (800mm) image of the region, combining images taken this year and last year:

ring_2h-1_zpsowqq76lb.jpg

Note the flat-field correction gets worse at the periphery, where image fields don't overlap anymore. Even so, the correction is pretty good over the entire field. Here's a 1:1 crop of the nebula and surrounding region:

ring_2h-2_zpsbfsqtiyz.jpg

IC 1296 is (barely) visible. Now what I've learned imaging Hercules is paying off: here's a 3X version of the nebula, clearly showing the 14m white dwarf at the center:

ring_3X_50m.tif%20RGB-1_zpsmcp9ljlj.jpg

and a cluster nearly shows that my image can clearly distinguish stars 4.0 arcsec apart (the short vertical group, distance data from Aladin)

ring_3X_50m.tif%20RGB-2_zpsyfmbdpmu.jpg

4.0 arcsec corresponds to a diffraction-limited aperture of 3.1 cm (500 nm wavelength). If we let the 'limit' go down to 3 arcsec (since the stars are clearly separated), the aperture diameter is given as 4.2 cm. Since my lens has an aperture of 14 cm, the impact of poor seeing is quite obvious.

Attachments

• ring_2h-1_zpsowqq76lb.jpg
    ring_2h-1_zpsowqq76lb.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 497
  • ring_2h-2_zpsbfsqtiyz.jpg
    ring_2h-2_zpsbfsqtiyz.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 500
  • ring_3X_50m.tif%20RGB-1_zpsmcp9ljlj.jpg
    ring_3X_50m.tif%20RGB-1_zpsmcp9ljlj.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 438
  • ring_3X_50m.tif%20RGB-2_zpsyfmbdpmu.jpg
    ring_3X_50m.tif%20RGB-2_zpsyfmbdpmu.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 409
Likes davenn, DennisN and Borg
Andy Resnick said:
Now the Ring Nebula (M57) is viewable from my backyard; here's a full frame (800mm) image of the region, combining images taken this year and last year:

great shots, Andy :smile:

Hi, really great shots!
I attach my attempt of Jupiter, but it is not satisfying.. First is made by compact Sony just pressed to hyperion ocular 8 mm (probably one moon is visible as well)
and second is made by Nikon D 200 body attached by bayonet to hyperion (it is quite dissapointment- I set ISO to 1600 and exp. time to 1/4 sec.(shorter time show nothing on display) .. If somebody have some advice for improving of Jupiter image I will appreciate,,, o_O:wink:

Attachments

• J a m.jpg
    J a m.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 458
  • DSC_0015.JPG
    DSC_0015.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 447
Likes davenn
live feed active now

some space walking happening

Final results (for this year) of the Ring nebula; 3.5 hours total integration time at ISO 1600.

Whole field of view:

Ring_3h_30m_filtered_s_zpseto5mvb5.jpg

1:1 crop (no dithering):

Ring_11h_filtered_zpsbpaodemq.jpg

In related news, I have the opportunity to buy myself a present- I've had my eye on a 105/1.4 lens to replace my 85/1.4 that I lost due to migrating from a Sony camera to a Nikon camera two years ago. Hopefully I'll get it in time for imaging Cygnus this year. Stay tuned!

Attachments

• Ring_3h_30m_filtered_s_zpseto5mvb5.jpg
    Ring_3h_30m_filtered_s_zpseto5mvb5.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 488
  • Ring_3h_30m_filtered_1_zpsji3eufrk.jpg
    Ring_3h_30m_filtered_1_zpsji3eufrk.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 358
  • Ring_11h_filtered_zpsbpaodemq.jpg
    Ring_11h_filtered_zpsbpaodemq.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
Likes davenn, Borg, DennisN and 1 other person
Hi I attach my recent attempt of Saturn images (by mobile camera on eyepiece hyperion). I was trying this method beacouse I can not catch it by Nikon body camera attached by bayonet. If somebody has some advice and experience of Saturn photo I would appreciated it.. :smile:
Thanks and have nice days

Attachments

• s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 360
  • s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 364
Likes pinball1970, Andy Resnick and davenn
bruha said:
Hi I attach my recent attempt of Saturn images (by mobile camera on eyepiece hyperion)... :smile:

good effort, I can make out the rings :smile:

I was trying this method beacouse I can not catch it by Nikon body camera attached by bayonet. If somebody has some advice and experience of Saturn photo I would appreciated it

I cannot remember what sort of telescope you have ?
let us know and also show a photo of the eyepiece end of your scope along with a photo of any adaptors you have to mount the Nikon onto the scopeDave

Hello,
thank you. I have Newton telescope diameter 110 mm x 600 mm focal distance and use with Hyperion eyepiece 8 mm. Photos are attached. Saturn images are made just by phone camera pressed on eyepiece. With Nikon body on photo I was succesfull only with moon up to know.
Thank you ….:smile:

Attachments

• IMG_20180711_081202.jpg
    IMG_20180711_081202.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_20180711_081217.jpg
    IMG_20180711_081217.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_20180711_081308.jpg
    IMG_20180711_081308.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 373
Likes davenn
bruha said:
Hello,
thank you. I have Newton telescope diameter 110 mm x 600 mm focal distance and use with Hyperion eyepiece 8 mm. Photos are attached. Saturn images are made just by phone camera pressed on eyepiece. With Nikon body on photo I was succesfull only with moon up to know.
Thank you ….:smile:

Thanks for that :smile:

Did you know there is a thing called a T-ring adaptor ? they are for connecting DSLR cameras to telescopes
There 2 parts needed, the actual T-ring and the extension tube
looking for your Nikon ……

here's a supplier close to me, but it will show you what to look for with a supplier near you
You can see they are not overly expensive

https://www.bintel.com.au/product/t-rings-dslrs/cheers
Dave

Hi And thank you for informativní.In fact I have this T ring ( asi on photos if ,you get IT) my Nikon body but without extension tube..do you think that this tube can improve taken images?
Thank you And nice day ( can i ask where you from)?

bruha said:
Hi And thank you for informativní.In fact I have this T ring ( asi on photos if ,you get IT) my Nikon body but without extension tube

OK so you have the T-ring ( the bit closest to the camera in that link photo)
You need that tube part that you see in front of it ... it slides into the eyepiece holder tube

In this mode, it is called Prime Focus imaging ( no eyepiece is used

bruha said:
do you think that this tube can improve taken images?

What it allows is for the camera to be held steady so that you can get focus easier
One of the biggest problems I have seen with your imaging so far is that they are all out of focus...
this is because the phone camera is trying to and failing to get correct focus when it is aimed at the eyepiece
bruha said:
Thank you And nice day

and you too ... looking forward to seeing your imaging improving as you get more experience and you get gear working well :smile:

bruha said:
can i ask where you from)?
You can :smile:

I'm in Sydney, Australia. I immigrated to Australia from New Zealand 18.5 years ago
It's almost impossible to do good astronomy from home ( other than Sun, Moon and planets). The sky is just too bright with light pollution.
For deep sky galaxies, nebula and star clusters etc. I often travel an hour to get to one of my darker sky sites so I can do observing or imagingcheers
Dave

Likes Nelli
Hi and thank you for explanation, I understand- and will try to get this tube. Anyway I am from Prague, Czech republic therefore we look on absolutely opossite sky hemispere! I was on NZ 10 year ago and liked it very much -I remember that only star constalation which I recognized from Europe was Orion but upside-down:smile: (I was in Sydney as well and although it is beautiful city I think that living on NZ is more pleasant..)
So lot of succes with your imaging and when l make some improvement I ll send it..

Likes davenn
Up at 4 am to watch the total eclipse of the moon ...
Question ... If the sky is 1/2 covered in cloud, which half will the moon ( or other astronomical event) be in ?
Answer ... the cloudy 1/2, of course
1f641.png

Missed the start due to the cloud. It then cleared up and saw up to 10 minutes before totality started and only tiny glimpses between then and 6 am...
Didnt see max totality at 6:20 AM ( Sydney time) ... AGAIN ... that is 5 total eclipses in a row I have now missed due to cloud
1f641.png

Canon 6D 100 - 400mm zoom at 400mm and with a 2 x teleconverter.

IMG_1921sm.jpg
IMG_1923sm.jpg
IMG_1926sm.jpg
IMG_1927sm.jpg
IMG_1931sm.jpg
IMG_1938sm.jpg
cheers
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_1921sm.jpg
    IMG_1921sm.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 735
  • IMG_1923sm.jpg
    IMG_1923sm.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 719
  • IMG_1926sm.jpg
    IMG_1926sm.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 683
  • IMG_1927sm.jpg
    IMG_1927sm.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 709
  • IMG_1931sm.jpg
    IMG_1931sm.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 695
  • IMG_1938sm.jpg
    IMG_1938sm.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 680
  • 1f641.png
    1f641.png
    308 bytes · Views: 688
  • 1f641.png
    1f641.png
    308 bytes · Views: 726
Likes MP9721NRC, Nelli, Andy Resnick and 3 others
Thats great despite missing the start due to cloud. Notice that between image one and two the tone overall went from green to red/ blue? The tone did not change after that till the final image, just the size of the shadow. Then red overall in the final image.

Likes davenn
very nice, thanks you for posting this

Likes davenn
pinball1970 said:
Notice that between image one and two the tone overall went from green to red/ blue?
There may well be a hint of green in the first image … I really have to look hard to tell …. images 2 to 5 look reasonably even

Progress to date for the region containing the North American Nebula in Cygnus: the full image is a 2 x 2 panorama taken at 400mm, the first image is a central crop, followed by some details of the nebula and the planetary nebula NGC 7048:

lower%20left%20-%20upper%20right_1_blended_fused-1_zpstpkz8ic1.jpg

upper%20right-1_zpsyih6uvqo.jpg

lower%20left-1_zps5cebkqvq.jpg

Each image is about 1.5 hours total integration time. I had to re-do the flat field correction a few times until I got a good enough set of flats, and getting the color balance matched between images is tricky. I honestly don't know how other people manage to make this seem easy.

Attachments

• lower%20left%20-%20upper%20right_1_blended_fused-1_zpstpkz8ic1.jpg
    lower%20left%20-%20upper%20right_1_blended_fused-1_zpstpkz8ic1.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 461
  • upper%20right-1_zpsyih6uvqo.jpg
    upper%20right-1_zpsyih6uvqo.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 463
  • lower%20left-1_zps5cebkqvq.jpg
    lower%20left-1_zps5cebkqvq.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 466
Likes pinball1970, davenn and DennisN
awesome effort Andy :smile:

is that planetary neb. somewhere within the Nth American Neb. ?

davenn said:
Up at 4 am to watch the total eclipse of the moon ...
Question ... If the sky is 1/2 covered in cloud, which half will the moon ( or other astronomical event) be in ?
Answer ... the cloudy 1/2, of course View attachment 228470

Missed the start due to the cloud. It then cleared up and saw up to 10 minutes before totality started and only tiny glimpses between then and 6 am...
Didnt see max totality at 6:20 AM ( Sydney time) ... AGAIN ... that is 5 total eclipses in a row I have now missed due to cloud View attachment 228471

Canon 6D 100 - 400mm zoom at 400mm and with a 2 x teleconverter.

View attachment 228464 View attachment 228465 View attachment 228466 View attachment 228467 View attachment 228468 View attachment 228469cheers
Dave

Thanks Dave, I really enjoy looking at our wonderful creation from the tiniest life here on Earth to our vast universe. I wish NASA would hurry up and discover how to make artificial gravity and find a way to make a "warp" engine that could stand up to Einstein's theory of relativity. I know we will find a way! NASA is looking into it now, with a design to travel. Two physicists suggest that a future spaceship could fold a space-time bubble around itself to travel faster than the speed of light. This is an exciting time for our planet if only everyone in it could wake up and work together. Projects like Mars One and the other moon base designs are cool too. In college I went for a science major with focus on physics and geology. If I were only younger with what I know now... I love this site, I feel alive when I read all the stuff everyone comes up with. What a learning tool. ;-))

Likes davenn
davenn said:
awesome effort Andy :smile:

is that planetary neb. somewhere within the Nth American Neb. ?

Yes-
RA: 21h14m15.2s
DEC: +46°17m17.9s

I 'discovered' it first in my image- I wondered why there was a blurry blob- and then identified it via Google Earth (Sky).

Likes davenn
Improved background subtraction and blending:

lower%20left%20-%20upper%20right-1_zpsquol5hm3.jpg

Attachments

• lower%20left%20-%20upper%20right-1_zpsquol5hm3.jpg
    lower%20left%20-%20upper%20right-1_zpsquol5hm3.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 424
Likes pinball1970, davenn and DennisN
Hi
your image are very interesting and beautiful.. Here in Czech Republik (Bohmerwald) was very cloudy so We see eclipset just in the end (and if partly visible it was of course normal (not darkened (red)) half of the moon !:wink::frown:-- So I catch just Mars (it was good to see) and Saturn (images attached, Saturn is sharpened and little coloured in photoshop)

Lot of succes (we have terrible hot now?:)?:) I hope you do not as you have winter:smile:….

Attachments

• s1d.jpg
    s1d.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 363
  • DSC01676.JPG
    DSC01676.JPG
    3.3 KB · Views: 362
Likes pinball1970, DennisN and davenn
Something a little different- This is a 25 second exposure, just a Canon Rebel camera on a tripod. The white streak is the International Space Station, as it zips past Jupiter; I had to drive about 1.5 hours to get to the right spot to see it transit Jupiter. The stars to the left are Scorpius, and the moon is just out of the frame to the right, illuminating the clouds. The thunderstorms gave way to clear skies just in time; a beautiful evening.

IMG_8371-auto-adj-inIrfan-crop-nr.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8371-auto-adj-inIrfan-crop-nr.jpg
    IMG_8371-auto-adj-inIrfan-crop-nr.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 403
Likes pinball1970, Andy Resnick, DennisN and 1 other person
MP9721NRC said:
Something a little different- This is a 25 second exposure, just a Canon Rebel camera on a tripod.
A very cool photo!