Our Beautiful Universe - Photos and Videos

In summary: I love it and the clip finishes with a great quote:In summary, these threads are all about the beauty and awesomeness of our Universe. If you feel like it, please share video clips and photos (or nice animations) of space and objects in space in this thread. Your posts, clips and photos may by all means include scientific information; that does not make it less beautiful to me (n.b. the posts must of course comply with the PF guidelines, i.e. regarding science, only mainstream science is allowed, fringe/pseudoscience is not allowed).
I can't get enough of this 'song'. :woot:

SYMPHONY OF SCIENCE - WAVES OF LIGHT
Symphony of Science returns! A musical celebration of light and how it tells the story of our universe. Featuring Brian Cox.

Likes Drakkith
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I just recently joined this forum and this thread only would have made the act worthwhile. I am going to mark it as a favorite so that i don't lose it because i can't watch all those great videos in a single setting. thanks everyone for sharing! p.s. I am an action photographer but i managed to get this picture of venus and the moon right before the transit that occurred a few years back. I had forgotten that venus goes through cycles in a similar fashion as our moon.
sincerely,
k. doc holiday
197 sharp venus moon jpg copy.jpg

Likes Generator Gawl, Drakkith, DennisN and 2 others
K. Doc Holiday said:
I am an action photographer but i managed to get this picture of venus and the moon right before the transit that occurred a few years back.

Welcome to PF :)

nice pic of the 2 ... but you really mean occultation ... neither the Moon nor Venus transit each other

An occultation is when a visually small object goes behind a larger body eg. the moon occultates planets, stars, nebula etc
A transit is the opposite, when a visually small object goes across the face of a larger object ...
we see transits eg. transits of Mercury and Venus across the face of the Sun. The moons of Jupiter across the face of Jupitercheers
Dave

Likes K. Doc Holiday
Thanks Dave, that is exactly what i meant. I must have been thinking about the transit of Venus across the sun in 2004, which is, of course, a very rare event. I love constructive criticism. please keep it coming!

Likes davenn
K. Doc Holiday said:
Thanks Dave, that is exactly what i meant. I must have been thinking about the transit of Venus across the sun in 2004, which is, of course, a very rare event. I love constructive criticism. please keep it coming!

all cool :smile:

for future images you post, just create a thread in the main astronomy section
periodically you will see astro pic posts by Andy Resnick, Russ Watters and myself being the 3 main contributors
and a couple of others on occasions :smile:
Always looking forward to seeing more people having a go at the nite sky

Likes K. Doc Holiday
I love you all so much.

Amazing video, really understand how galaxy is great

I just love watching the sun, revolve, and via new techno-eyes, evolve.

I like that they replayed the whole thing, and had someone explain things to me in slo-mo. That actually made it much better.

2:52 Hello, I'm Nicholine Phile (took me 15 minutes to find her name!: Nicki Viall), and I'm a solar physicist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Observatory...​

Likes DennisN and davenn
A pretty cool idea how to show size comparisons...

Likes Borg and OmCheeto
Three clips on gravitational waves, LIGO and the recent discovery:

Likes OmCheeto
Very nice videos, @1oldman2! The third video (Aurora Borealis) was magical! :smile:

Likes 1oldman2
DennisN said:
Very nice videos, @1oldman2! The third video (Aurora Borealis) was magical! :smile:
Magical is a great description, :thumbup:. I found myself caught up in any of the SDO video also, puts Hollywoods "Special effects" too shame. I was going to post some of that stuff to the new video thread but not sure how to pull it off, however this looked like the perfect thread for it. :smile: ( I love space and stuff )

Likes DennisN
We have got quite a few clips from the ISS in this thread, so I thought I'd post a tour of the International Space Station itself (1080p):

Likes davenn and 1oldman2

:smile:

Likes DennisN, davenn and OmCheeto
Without the existence of Fourth dimension aka time the universe is useless to look at.

The constellation Virgo is passing by and I'm in the process of assembling a panoramic image of the dense cluster of galaxies present. I have another month or so to acquire images before it's time to move on to Hercules, but in the meantime here's a small menagerie of the more visible non-elliptical (except one) galaxies present in this region:

Montage_zps4nljtg2o.jpg

Integration times vary, ranging between about 17 and 50 minutes. 400/2.8, ISO 1000.

Last edited:
Likes DennisN, Borg, Fervent Freyja and 2 others
Andy Resnick said:
The constellation Virgo is passing by and I'm in the process of assembling a panoramic image of the dense cluster of galaxies present. I have another month or so to acquire images before it's time to move on to Hercules, but in the meantime here's a small menagerie of the more visible non-elliptical (except one) galaxies present in this region:

Integration times vary, ranging between about 17 and 50 minutes. 400/2.8, ISO 1000.

nice one Andy
The Virgo Cluster is a cool place to test out a scope and eyesight seeing how many faint fuzzies can be picked out :smile:Dave

Likes Andy Resnick and 1oldman2
Andy Resnick said:

This was a great shot! It made me a little curious, so I went through some of your photobucket.

Now, I have to ask you a weird question... What was that off-white, powdery substance cut out into four lines with the Santa Claus figure behind it? Fuel for your many passions and talents? :smile:
_
A newer one I found:

But, this next is my very most favorite at the moment. The amount of work and computational power that went into this 11 sec(or so I can find) simulation is incredible. I do enjoy other videos and many are quite creative and artistic, but I prefer ones that are published by researchers or where I can at least find some credibility for the video. They also found that the reionization era ended later than we predicted earlier from observations and need to make adjustments.
"Such a multi-faceted simulation needed not only a powerful supercomputer, but also one that had plenty of GPUs so the team could offload its radiation and ionization calculations. Thankfully, the Oak Ridge Leadership Computing Facility’s (OLCF’s) Cray XK7 Titan supercomputer fit the description. The OLCF, a DOE Office of Science User Facility located at ORNL, built Titan with a GPU for every one of its 18,688 compute nodes. The Shapiro team needed 8,192 GPUs to run its simulations."

Likes DennisN and 1oldman2
OmCheeto said:
Explain what you've just seen, in 100 words years, or less.

-Entropy increases in the atmosphere the closer that it gets to the surface of the earth.

NASA has a model for the ocean currents in one of those videos posted- incredible to watch it move relative to the land masses. You know though, it sure would be nice to see what the core of the Earth really looks like. Then all 3(or more layers) could be placed into one model zooming from the core out to the upper atmosphere and back again.

Likes 1oldman2
Fervent Freyja said:
This was a great shot! It made me a little curious, so I went through some of your photobucket.

Now, I have to ask you a weird question... What was that off-white, powdery substance cut out into four lines with the Santa Claus figure behind it? Fuel for your many passions and talents? :smile:
<snip>

Heh... it was flour. I was wondering why nobody asked! :)

Likes 1oldman2 and Fervent Freyja
Andy Resnick said:
Heh... it was flour. I was wondering why nobody asked! :)

I relooked yesterday ... still haven't seen it LOL

DennisN said:
Two recent clips about the ISS:
The International Space Station Has Made Its 100,000th Orbit!
:thumbup::partytime: Awesome, thought I'd share a few screenshots.
west coast.PNG
California

queensland.PNG
Queensland

sunset  west africa.PNG
West Africa

flathead.PNG
Flathead lake

Likes QuantumQuest and DennisN
A new clip from Babak Tafreshi with music by Ali Raini:

Likes OmCheeto, davenn, ProfuselyQuarky and 1 other person
DennisN said:
A new clip from Babak Tafreshi with music by Ali Raini:

:thumbup::smile: That is "MagicalMedia" I loved it. Thanks for the post!

Likes DennisN
Likes OmCheeto and 1oldman2
Hercules is now coming into view- got this one last night- the whole field of view and a 100% crop (800/5.6, ISO 1250):

13m_zpsgmrfcgbq.jpg

13m.tif%20RGB-2_zpslwmidgtu.jpg

My technique is finally good enough that I needed to program periodic error correction (PEC) on the motors; my first attempt wasn't great but I could still nearly double the exposure time (5 s to 8 s). Presumably, as I keep refining the PEC, the performance will continue to improve.

Likes DennisN, davenn and 1oldman2
Up to 28 minutes total exposure time- image quality and colorimetrics significantly improved:

28m.TIF%20RGB_zpsoexr6ysm.jpg

Likes davenn, 1oldman2, DennisN and 1 other person
You know, when I came across this image all I could think is, this belongs on the OBU thread. So here are the Spanish peaks in Colorado, along with credit where credit is due. :wink:

Spanish peaks.PNG
http://martinpughastrophotography.id.au/

Attachments

• Spanish peaks w overlay.PNG
    Spanish peaks w overlay.PNG
    121.2 KB · Views: 556
Likes DennisN
For the next few days, (from left to right) saturn, mars, and Jupiter are all visible at night:

DSC_0215_zpsagjavvw9.jpg

And a little zoomed in (the red spot is visible):

Montage2_zpscirm27hz.jpg

Tonight, 9pm- midnight, Europa is transiting Jupiter and the shadow may be visible (midnight - 3am, EST)... fingers crossed for good viewing conditions!

Likes DennisN, 1oldman2 and davenn
Andy Resnick said:
Up to 28 minutes total exposure time- image quality and colorimetrics significantly improved:

28m.TIF%20RGB_zpsoexr6ysm.jpg
the image in the previous post was better, colour wise ... you have gone back to a very green hue in this one :wink: The star sharpness in this one is much betterD