Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Our cat has a pet deer

1. Aug 4, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I caught the cat and resident deer playing in Tsu's garden this morning. And to think that all of this time Tsu has blamed the cats for tearing up the garden. :rolleyes: The deer was hopping around like a kitten, with our Bun kitty hot in pursuit. :rofl: Last year the cats brought skunks into the house...

The deer often sleeps just 30 feet from the house now, under Tsu's Ocean Spray plant. :cool: We're hoping for babies.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2005 #2

Lisa!

Gold Member

:bugeye: :bugeye: :rofl: Your cat must be so clever!

4. Aug 4, 2005 #3
    or very confused

5. Aug 4, 2005 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Just think, next year deercats or catdeers :surprised

6. Aug 4, 2005 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Little baby Tsu Seekings, or baby deercats?

7. Aug 4, 2005 #6
  8. Aug 4, 2005 #7

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hitssquad has a pet too?

9. Aug 4, 2005 #8
    No, that's a Lyme tick.

10. Aug 4, 2005 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks like the one that bit BicycleTree.

11. Aug 4, 2005 #10
    aww and cat and a deer having babies!

Young deers are cute, if they come in contact with another creature who dosen't want to eat them, they will play. Just think of Bambi, whith Thumper and Flower..

12. Aug 4, 2005 #11

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

and a nice bottle of chianti..mmmmmmm!

13. Aug 4, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Even though it's called a deer tick, Lyme disease is spread more from deer mice than from deer.

But they won't be liking those baby deer so much when Tsu finds them eating everything in the garden down to bare twigs! :surprised

Venison anyone?

14. Aug 4, 2005 #13
    I was a bit worried... I thought you maybe meant the .. other deer. :yuck:

15. Aug 4, 2005 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Bun and the deer? :bugeye:

16. Aug 4, 2005 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By now Tsu is usually harvesting a bouquet of roses a day, but there's nothing but stumps out there. :rofl: I think she would gladly sacrifice her entire garden for a couple of fawns. But today I noticed the buds for antlers on this one. Do the females get little antlers or is this definitively a male? We had two but one disappeared. It may have been this one's mother...? It must be too young to have taken a mate.

17. Aug 4, 2005 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Only the males get antlers...usually. In the captive herd I worked with, one of the females developed little horn buds for some reason, but they never developed more than that. This is the right time of year for them to start developing antlers and it's too soon for them to be mating...that's a few months away still. It's possible this one is a yearling and the other one with him was his mother. By now, the fawns should have mostly lost their spots, so other than size, it would be hard to tell the adults from juveniles (the juveniles/yearlings would still be a bit smaller this time of year).

You'll have to wait until spring for fawns, and they stay in hiding while very young (at least until the farmers plow the fields and find them and call Fish Game and Wildlife to come get the "abandoned" fawns). They are so cute at that age! :smile:

18. Aug 5, 2005 #17

Lisa!

Gold Member

Could you please post a photo of them here or in caption competetion thread?

19. Aug 5, 2005 #18

Tsu

Gold Member

I DO have some pictures!!!!11111 I will post them for you as soon as I get home from work. OK? :smile:

20. Aug 5, 2005 #19

Lisa!

Gold Member

Thank you very much. :smile: Very nice of you.

21. Aug 5, 2005 #20
    First year males are called button bucks. Even tho they are small, when mateing season comes, they can become dangerous. They will fight just about anything, trees, garden statues, cars and you.
    They are still with the female herd, but are being encouraged to go there seperate way. They spend more and more time on there own.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?