Medical Our earliest memories

• Thread starter mugaliens
  • Start date
Again, this thread is about why this might happen.
Alright, let's get some literature on the table then.

Anyone for, as you're making the claim it's possible can you provide sources to back it up? Or anything to show it happens that isn't anecdotal?

Anyone against, what do we have against the possibility?

Perhaps this would be more appropriate in another section of PF?

Evo

Mentor
Way less than two. I know you don't believe me, Evo, but there it is. My memories date quite a bit earlier than 18 months.

Again, this thread is about why this might happen.
Please post peer reviewed research that shows such memories are biologically possible for newborns.

Still, I recall the date I lost Doggie (stuffed animal), June 29, 1963. I was born in May.
You expect us to believe that you could tell the date, at less than 2 months old? Not likely. You were told about the date and the event later on.

I think it's fairly obvious that these are not actual memories you are experiencing, but rather memories which were implanted later on. At 2 months old you simply did not have the neural capacity to form such memories. Someone told you about the event when you were much older (2 or 3, maybe), and you have since committed that to memory, while forgetting about when you were told.

If I tried I could probably draw a fairly accurate mental image of how my pre-school looked like and an even better one for my primary school. I could do the same for where my paediatrician practices (or at least, he practiced there during the two years I went there - my last visit there was sometime in the year 2000, I believe).

Oddly enough, I can't remember how the house I live in today was six years ago, when I was about to quit primary school and I can remember even less well how it looked like another six years down the line. All I can visualise is what I saw in pictures.