Our future in our own hand

In summary: The study cited atmospheric observations and multiple computer models to paint a detailed picture of climate changes likely to buffet Earth in coming decades, including rising temperatures and an increase in extreme weather events, such as flooding and drought.
Moetasim
Climate change has become a reality and is mainly due to the anthropogenic changes. When we talk about climate change its what actually happened during last 150 years to the Earth climate after human industrial revolution. Although the major contibution to these human induced changes goes to devloped countries but the impact of this change will be more severe for developing countries which have very insignificant contibution to the increasing greenhouse gases concentration because they are not better equipped to cope with the adverse effects.
Climate itself is the most difficult physical problem because of almost infinite degrees of freedom. Its only after the availability of super computers that we are able to look at this problem. Anyway, its just a start and at the moment , there are great uncertanities. Only time and availability of better computers can help in future.
Anyway, its a time to at least understand the causes of this climate change and its adverse effects. Our future is in our own hand...

Physics news on Phys.org
Not to take this lightly, but... Speaking as one who was getting snowed on yesterday, I say 'bring on the global warming, and the sooner the better!' :approve:

Danger said:
Not to take this lightly, but... Speaking as one who was getting snowed on yesterday, I say 'bring on the global warming, and the sooner the better!' :approve:
Okay neighbour, because everyone may be heading north.

2CentsWorth said:
Okay neighbour, because everyone may be heading north.
Since you spelled 'neighbour' correctly... welcome aboard. :biggrin:

The future of the climate is not merely in our own hands.

What caused the ice ages? What thawed them out?
It was NOT industrial emissions.

Oh, and don't fall into the trap of thinking a better computer
model will save us. Even a great model can give junk results
if there is a buildup of inaccuracy (numerical entropy). And
most of today's models are gross oversimplifications of the
climate that couldn't predict the weather for a week let alone
the climate for a century.

Last edited:
Antiphon said:
And most of today's models are gross oversimplifications of the

*looks at the weather page* Pff... a week... get real :P

Danger said:
Um, you're not allowed to say that. Alberta needs to stay exactly the way it is, even if I only get there to ski once a decade or so.

russ_watters said:
Um, you're not allowed to say that. Alberta needs to stay exactly the way it is, even if I only get there to ski once a decade or so.
I couldn't possibly care less what happens at Banff or Louise; I'm in the foothills. (And before some smart-ass (Evo?) pipes up on that, I'm referring to the terrain, not the hospital...)

Moetasim said:
Our future is in our own hand...

A few short and long term strategies:

0). Quit arguing about if, and start planning for the inevitable

1). Stop making so many babies; esp third world nations. No more than 2 children per family, preferably less.

2). Don't build homes on flood plains; esp near rivers and beaches.

3). Alternative fuels and energy - Go Hydrogen!

4). Destroy every SUV and whip the owners :biggrin:

5). Better flood control systems

6). Investigate alternative and higher yield crops for farming.

7). Plan for population shifts

8). Develop better and safer pesticides - we're going to need em.

9). Continue to improve and perfect emergency/disaster relief services.

10). Always have a one month supply of food, and a week's worth of water on hand.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
A few short and long term strategies:

0). Quit arguing about if, and start planning for the inevitable

I have to admit, I've NEVER seen anyone start a list with 0 before. :biggrin:

2). Don't build homes on flood plains; esp near rivers and beaches.

Hey! I'm waiting for the polar ice caps to melt so I'll have that nice beachfront property in the tropics I've always dreamt about. :biggrin: :rofl:

Moonbear said:

Part of my job involves programming - everything starts with zero. :biggrin:

Two of the nation's premier atmospheric scientists, after reviewing extensive research by their colleagues, say there is no longer any doubt that human activities are having measurable--and increasing--impacts on global climate. Their study cites atmospheric observations and multiple computer models to paint a detailed picture of climate changes likely to buffet Earth in coming decades, including rising temperatures and an increase in extreme weather events, such as flooding and drought. The study appeared December 5 in Science as part of the journal's "State of the Planet" series. The coauthors--Thomas Karl, director of NOAA's National Climatic Data Center, and Kevin Trenberth, head of the Climate Analysis Section at the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR)--conclude that industrial emissions have been the dominant influence on climate change for the past 50 years, overwhelming natural forces. The most important of these emissions is carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas that traps solar radiation and warms the planet. "There is no doubt that the composition of the atmosphere is changing because of human activities, and today greenhouse gases are the largest human influence on global climate," they write. "The likely result is more frequent heat waves, droughts, extreme precipitation events, and related impacts, e.g., wildfires, heat stress, vegetation changes, and sea-level rise which will be regionally dependent." [continued]
http://globalchange.gov/

Won't the melting of icebergs add more water to the sea? And therefore leading to more absorption of C02 emmissions i.e. the problem takes care of itself?

Actually, come to think about it..probably not.. :frown:

Feedback is known to exist. It's not a matter of if, but how much, and how fast. Note also that global warming and the runaway greenhouse question are two completely separate issues.

Aren't 90% of icebergs underwater? Since ice takes up more space than liquid, then wouldn't the melting almost be even to what we have now?

moose said:
Aren't 90% of icebergs underwater? Since ice takes up more space than liquid, then wouldn't the melting almost be even to what we have now?

I think your question assumes that the entire Arctic ice mass is floating on water.

Moonbear said:
You've forgotten the Zeroeth Law of Robotics? Fie on you! :tongue:

Danger said:
You've forgotten the Zeroeth Law of Robotics? Fie on you! :tongue:

Nope. Can't forget something I never knew. :tongue:

Moonbear said:
Nope. Can't forget something I never knew. :tongue:
I'm sorry. :redface: I never realized what a deprived childhood you had. I suppose it explains your depraved adulthood, though.

Ice ages have occurred repeatedly in the history of the planet, and there are many triggers, such as salinization of the oceans, how that affects the currents, and how that affects the climate. Even doubters must admit to the likelihood of history repeating (as Ivan says, the inevitable). The question is when/how fast. Those who question whether human impact (industrialism, use of fossil fuels, etc.) may be causing the change to occur, and more quickly, are in denial.

2CentsWorth said:
Ice ages have occurred repeatedly in the history of the planet, and there are many triggers, such as salinization of the oceans, how that affects the currents, and how that affects the climate. Even doubters must admit to the likelihood of history repeating (as Ivan says, the inevitable). The question is when/how fast. Those who question whether human impact (industrialism, use of fossil fuels, etc.) may be causing the change to occur, and more quickly, are in denial.
----------
Well its a fact that climate change is occurring even before the birth of human being on the planet due to natural forcings but the time scale of such climate change is too large to be taken into account and its not the matter of survival of the planet at least its the matter of survival of human being on the planet. See the change in the temperature of the Earth during last 150 years, the time scale of such a change is very small so it is something which is alarming and must be taken into account. One can't stop the natural forcings to occur but one can think of strategies not to accelrate this natural climate change process due to anthropogenic forcings. He who thinks that the planet has passed through many ice ages must understand that there has been no ice age after the birth of human being!

Danger said:
Oh don't be ignorant, you're in Alberta, and have just as much reason to fear global warming as everyone else, if temperatures drop then pest populations won't be killed off during winter and will get out of control, thus destroying more and more crops.

Global warming doesn't help anyone.

That's a really good point Smurf. Many experts worry that pests and disease will increasingly be concerns as gw continues. Interestingly though, Danger has a valid point as well. For example, according to some experts, Canadian agriculture is expected to benefit. Also, strangely enough, there is a huge advantage coming to world trade: It is believed by at least some shipping companies [and their experts] that there will soon be a northern passage. I have even seen maps showing the new shipping routes that are expected. In fact...I have been meaning to find this up for some time. I will post a link later if I can find this on the net.

Still, I hope you really like skeeters and flies!

edit: ...fierce and more frequent storms, floods, drought, plague, fires...

Last edited:
On the plus side, some scientists are trying to design mosquitos that give inoculations against disease when they stick you. So following this line of thought, Canadians should be very, very inoculated. See, always a plus side. :biggrin:

I'm soooo happy.

:cry: :cry:

Ivan Seeking said:
Many experts worry that pests and disease will increasingly be concerns as gw continues.
Canadian agriculture is expected to benefit.
Still, I hope you really like skeeters and flies!
edit: ...fierce and more frequent storms, floods, drought, plague, fires...
I haven't even seen a mosquito in over 15 years, except for a couple when I was working in a forest area. We don't have stagnant water around here, and warming won't affect that. An extended growing season would far outweigh an increase in bug lifetimes. We already have to pesticide the hell out of them anyway. It would be right nice to not have our traditional June blizzard right when things are starting to think about growing. :approve:

Well, it's up around 85 F here today (29 C). I think that's warm enough, we can stop the global warming again. :approve:

Danger said:
I haven't even seen a mosquito in over 15 years, except for a couple when I was working in a forest area.

I would guess that what I've heard refers to the Great Lake's area, as here? Also, I know Alaska can be fierce for skeeters.

The Alaska's frozen tundra is melting.

Ivan Seeking said:
I would guess that what I've heard refers to the Great Lake's area, as here? Also, I know Alaska can be fierce for skeeters.
Oh yeah! North country and the Lakes areas, there are skeeters big enough to swat with 12-guage, and clouds of blackflies you can hardly see through. I don't care; I don't live there. :approve:

Ivan Seeking said:
The Alaska's frozen tundra is melting.
It was ours in the first place; maybe it's going to run back to the Yukon. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Well, it's up around 85 F here today (29 C). I think that's warm enough, we can stop the global warming again. :approve:
:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :grumpy: :tongue:

Antiphon said:
The future of the climate is not merely in our own hands.

What caused the ice ages? What thawed them out?
It was NOT industrial emissions.

Oh, and don't fall into the trap of thinking a better computer
model will save us. Even a great model can give junk results
if there is a buildup of inaccuracy (numerical entropy). And
most of today's models are gross oversimplifications of the

Eh, actually they're ok for roughly a week and then break down.

Solving the Navier-stokes equations alone to any accuracy in such a large area is a total ***** (this from personal experience) let alone dealing with humidity and changing chemical compositions, reflectivity of the surface of the earth. From a technical standpoint its an absolute nightmare.

To the OP:

You're post is full of so much bad science, is not worth responding to seriously.

I would just like to bring it to everyone's attention that over 60% of the greenhouse effect is because of water.
Forget reducing CO2 emissions, we need to cut back on that pesky water!

Ever do an IR scan of water? If you have, there should be no need to explain why water is so bad.

1. What does "Our future in our own hand" mean?

"Our future in our own hand" refers to the idea that we have the power and responsibility to shape our own future. It suggests that the choices and actions we make today will ultimately determine the outcome of our future.

2. How can we take control of our own future?

There are several ways we can take control of our own future, including setting goals, making informed decisions, taking action, and adapting to change. It's important to have a clear vision of what we want for our future and actively work towards it.

3. Why is it important to have a say in our own future?

Having a say in our own future allows us to have a sense of agency and control over our lives. It also allows us to shape our own destiny and create the future that we desire. Without a say in our own future, we may feel powerless and at the mercy of external forces.

4. What role do science and technology play in shaping our future?

Science and technology play a crucial role in shaping our future. They provide us with tools and knowledge to improve our lives and solve complex problems. However, it's important to use these advancements responsibly and ethically to ensure a positive future for all.

5. How can we ensure a positive future for ourselves and future generations?

We can ensure a positive future by being mindful of our actions and their impact on the environment and society. This includes making sustainable choices, promoting equality and justice, and investing in education and innovation. It's also important to involve and listen to diverse perspectives and work together towards a common goal.