Our scientific world (the Powerade lawsuit)

• Thread starter rachmaninoff2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientific
In summary, Coca-cola TM (maker of Gatorade TM) is suing Pepsi TM (maker of Powerade TM) for false advertising, claiming that Powerade Option has 10 fewer calories per 8-ounce serving.
rachmaninoff2
Coca-cola TM (maker of Gatorade TM) has filed a lawsuit against Pepsi TM (maker of Powerade TM) in a federal court:

A new television ad for Coke's Powerade Option sports drink features a "drag race" between two farmers in Amish dress, riding horse-drawn carts loaded with hay bales — one with ten bales and one with 50. The ad shows the cart with fewer bales easily cruising to victory, and touts that Powerade Option has 10 calories per 8-ounce serving compared to Gatorade's 50 calories.

"In other words, Coca-Cola is telling consumers that Powerade Option's fewer calories literally make you go faster. However, Coca-Cola cannot possibly substantiate this overall superiority claim," the suit says.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060321/ap_on_bi_ge/pepsi_coke_lawsuit

:rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have them mixed up, coka -cola makes powerade, pepsi makes gatorade...

rahmaninoff2? hmmm...

Yeah, what's with the 2? What have you done with rachmaninoff?

The other rachmaninoff locked himself out of his account by mistake.

Gatorate, Powerade, same difference. It's all wet.

rachmaninoff2 said:
The other rachmaninoff locked himself out of his account by mistake.
Want to be fixed?

Evo said:
Want to be fixed?
I'm sure he'd like you to fix him up, Evo! :!)

Evo said:
Want to be fixed?
:rofl: He's too young to be 'fixed'! :rofl: :rolleyes: :uhh: o:)

rachmaninoff2 said:
Coca-cola TM (maker of Gatorade TM) has filed a lawsuit against Pepsi TM (maker of Powerade TM) in a federal court:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060321/ap_on_bi_ge/pepsi_coke_lawsuit
According to Yahoo,
Pepsi is taking on Coke in federal court, but this time it's a power struggle rather than a cola war. PepsiCo Inc.'s Gatorade beverage business filed a lawsuit Monday in U.S. District Court against Coca-Cola Co.'s Powerade unit to stop an ad campaign that it claims is false and deceptive.
I'll vouch for Gatorade! I drink it a lot in the summer, and I have since high school when I played soccer. At half-time, I could finish 24 oz of Gatorade in a few seconds. And after the game, I'd swallow a second 24 oz bottle. It worked!

When I worked construction in 110°F+ weather (and slightly higher on and iron/steel roof in direct sunlight) I would easily sweat 2-3 kgs of water a day. Gatorade kept me going.

As for the lower calories - bah! If anyone, one needs more calories. Playing soccer, riding a bicycle, or doing construction, I'd burn several 1000 cal/day. The last thing I need is a drink with 10 cal/ 8 oz. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Gatorade's lawsuit says that the National Advertising Division of the Better Business Bureau last year decided that Coca-Cola could compare Powerade Option to Gatorade only if it discloses that "consumers will not receive the energy replacement benefits provided by Gatorade."
It seems there was already a decision in regards to such comparisons previously.

"The Gloved One" leaves for parts unknown, and Pepsi's legal department is facing budget cuts if they don't sue someone.

Bystander said:
"The Gloved One" leaves for parts unknown, and Pepsi's legal department is facing budget cuts if they don't sue someone.
:confused: Are you talking about Micheal Jackson?

Among other "Pepsi Generation" spokes"whats."

Try going on a six-day, 600 mile bicycle ride... in the middle of summertime. By the middle of the third day, the smell of Gatorade alone (particularly the nauseating "Fierce" varities) is literally enough to make you want to vomit on the spot.

For long (50+ mile) bike rides, I generally make my own "sports drink" with nothing more than:

A quart of water
A pinch of salt
A pinch of "lite" salt (which is mostly KCl)
A little lemon juice and sugar to taste

Way more palatable and refreshing than Gatorade, and essentially free.

Even the US military advises that if you're going to drink Gatorade, drink it diluted half-and-half with plain water.

- Warren

chroot said:
Try going on a six-day, 600 mile bicycle ride... in the middle of summertime. By the middle of the third day, the smell of Gatorade alone (particularly the nauseating "Fierce" varities) is literally enough to make you want to vomit on the spot.

For long (50+ mile) bike rides, I generally make my own "sports drink" with nothing more than:

A quart of water
A pinch of salt

Even the US military advises that if you're going to drink Gatorade, drink it diluted half-and-half with plain water.

- Warren

No way!

When I used to workout, I was a big Gatorade user. Only before and after workouts. I bought the powdered Gatorade that contained Dextrose.

Dextrose was found to enter your bloodstream much faster than other sugars, which leads you to getting energy much quicker than anything else.

With my experience using powdered Gatorade, I noticed that I performed best when I drink the Gatorade when working out.

A new television ad for Coke's Powerade Option sports drink features a "drag race" between two farmers in Amish dress, riding horse-drawn carts loaded with hay bales — one with ten bales and one with 50. The ad shows the cart with fewer bales easily cruising to victory, and touts that Powerade Option has 10 calories per 8-ounce serving compared to Gatorade's 50 calories.

"In other words, Coca-Cola is telling consumers that Powerade Option's fewer calories literally make you go faster. However, Coca-Cola cannot possibly substantiate this overall superiority claim," the suit says.
Wait just a minute what of Amish people can run faster with powerrade then would with gatarade

arnlido2, rachmaninoff2, Evo2?? I hope I don't ever get to be Mk2.

When I was running Cross Country I was always told to never drink Powerade or Gatorade before a race. Its only good for replacing electrolites (sp), but it gives you cramps otherwise.

scott_alexsk said:
When I was running Cross Country I was always told to never drink Powerade or Gatorade before a race. Its only good for replacing electrolites (sp), but it gives you cramps otherwise.

That wouldn't be a good idea for cross country. It's enduranced based.

Complex carbs are what you want the day before. I think that's what most racers focus on.

chroot said:

A quart of water
A pinch of salt

- Warren
I agree completely with that one. When I am skating or working out, if I take a sip of Gatorade, it tastes like hummingbird food. It's way too sweet. I'm going to have to try your receipe. Although I have never heard of "lite" salt.

FredGarvin said:
I agree completely with that one. When I am skating or working out, if I take a sip of Gatorade, it tastes like hummingbird food. It's way too sweet. I'm going to have to try your receipe. Although I have never heard of "lite" salt.

'lite' means reduced sodium, using KCl as filler.

What is the Powerade lawsuit?

The Powerade lawsuit is a legal case in which a group of individuals are suing the company Coca-Cola, the manufacturer of the sports drink Powerade, for false advertising and deceptive marketing practices. The plaintiffs claim that Powerade's marketing claims, such as "ionized hydration" and "vitamins and minerals for active lifestyles," are misleading and unsupported by scientific evidence.

What evidence supports the plaintiffs' claims?

The plaintiffs have presented evidence from scientific studies and expert testimonies that suggest Powerade's claims are not supported by scientific evidence. For example, a study published in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition found that Powerade does not hydrate more effectively than plain water. Additionally, the plaintiffs have pointed out that the vitamins and minerals in Powerade are present in such small amounts that they have little to no impact on overall health.

What is Coca-Cola's defense in the lawsuit?

Coca-Cola's defense in the Powerade lawsuit is that their marketing claims are not meant to be taken literally and are instead intended to be interpreted as general statements about the benefits of hydration and physical activity. They also argue that their marketing is not deceptive and that the plaintiffs have failed to provide evidence that they were harmed by Powerade's marketing claims.

What are the potential consequences of the Powerade lawsuit?

If the plaintiffs are successful in their lawsuit, Coca-Cola may be required to pay monetary damages to the affected consumers and may also be required to change their marketing practices. This could also lead to changes in the way other companies market their sports drinks and other similar products.

What can we learn from the Powerade lawsuit as scientists?

The Powerade lawsuit highlights the importance of using scientific evidence to support marketing claims. As scientists, it is our responsibility to ensure that our research is accurately represented and not used to mislead consumers. This case also emphasizes the need for critical thinking and scrutiny of claims made by companies, as well as the importance of holding companies accountable for their marketing practices.

Back