Evolution of Hominids: Origins in Africa and Migration Patterns

• Thread starter Niwrad
  • Start date
In summary, the article claims that Homo sapiens could have originated in Europe instead of Africa. There is some doubt about this claim, and it is not clear whether this is based on evidence or a urban legend.
Niwrad
Out of Africa. I think I understand this concept but want to check.

Homo habilis, Homo erectus, Homo neanderthalensis, Homo sapien - all of these hominids originate in Africa. Each migrated separately and then became extinct. There is not a direct link between any of these hominids, e.g. a subset of Homo habilis did not mutate into Homo erectus.

Each group originated in Africa and then spread. Is this source in Africa thought different or to be the same for all of the above mentioned hominids? Is the chromosome number for habilis and erectus known?

Biology news on Phys.org
At least with the homo neanderthalensis we share some genes and I think with another one, too. So it's not as separated as one might think.
The out of Africa hypothesis in several migration waves is the mainstream hypothesis. There have been some doubts recently published, see
http://www.sciencealert.com/oldest-...-in-europe-instead-of-africa-claims-new-study
and the links at the end of the article.
In addition there is a human genetic bottleneck assumed (70,000 ~ 80,000), so that we all trace back to a few hundred or thousand individuals. AFAIK for migration processes female mitochondrial DNA is considered. There's also a urban legend that 25% of European population share genes with Dschingis Khan, but I have no idea whether there is really something to it or not.

I am aware of the 70,000 bottleneck. At the time it was attributed to some sort of volcanic activity. The flaw being that this should have effected everything and not just humans.

The article was excessively vague.

There is evidence for a European origin for Homo Sapien. I will have to check on that.

Niwrad said:
Homo sapien - all of these hominids originate in Africa. Each migrated separately and then became extinct.
That is not correct, we are Homo sapiens. More specifically Homo sapiens sapiens.

All people today are classified as Homo sapiens.

http://anthro.palomar.edu/homo2/mod_homo_4.htm

You need to back up your posts with valid sources.

Likes jim mcnamara and fresh_42

What is the theory of evolution?

The theory of evolution is a scientific explanation for how species change and adapt over time. It states that all living things are descended from a common ancestor and have evolved through a process of natural selection and genetic variation.

How do hominids fit into the theory of evolution?

Hominids are a group of primates that includes modern humans and their ancestors. They are considered to be an important part of the theory of evolution because they provide evidence for the gradual development and diversification of human species over millions of years.

Why is Africa considered the birthplace of humankind?

Africa is widely accepted as the birthplace of humankind because it is where the oldest and most diverse fossil record of human ancestors has been found. Additionally, genetic studies have shown that all modern humans can be traced back to a common ancestor in Africa.

What is the significance of the migration patterns of hominids?

The migration patterns of hominids are significant because they provide evidence of how early humans spread and adapted to new environments. They also offer insight into the development of human culture and technology as our ancestors encountered new challenges and opportunities during their migrations.

What are some key events in the evolution of hominids?

Some key events in the evolution of hominids include the development of bipedalism, the expansion of brain size, and the use of tools. These adaptations allowed hominids to survive and thrive in different environments, leading to the emergence of modern humans.