Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Out of Body Experience

1. Sep 12, 2005 #1
    This is one topic I'm really into at the moment and possibly the one which will one day really bring the truth to us when we die. I'm currently on an astral website, and you know what, the people on there gave the best answer ever to astral projection." Try it"! they give courses on there as how to leave your physical body. I've heard alarming accounts from people I know who've had OBE's and it's amazing. Even blind and deaf people on how they can hear and see in the astral plane. It goes to prove that consciousness really IS a great mystery. I think of us as the "ghost" as such in a physical body. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2005 #2
    OK, this is a new one to me. Do you have a link to such reports?

4. Sep 12, 2005 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Zoobies
    don't have OOBEs.

5. Sep 12, 2005 #4
    Course we do. We're just haven't been to the "astral plane" where the blind can see and the deaf can hear. This is a new twist on things.

6. Sep 12, 2005 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the blind people are just imagining that they see things. :biggrin:

7. Sep 12, 2005 #6
    So what's the difference between an OBE and astral projection?

8. Sep 12, 2005 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the correct answer is that there is no difference.

If you believe in Astral Projection, there is no difference unless you just imagined the experience. Whereas if you don't believe in AP, there is no difference because you did imagine both.

9. Sep 12, 2005 #8
    So, anytime a person "leaves" their body, they are supposedly on the "astral plane"?

10. Sep 12, 2005 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know exactly when one allegedly enters the astral plane, but it has always been my understanding that any "genuine" OBE is connected to astral projection, including dreams.

11. Sep 13, 2005 #10

somasimple

Gold Member

Hi,

These perceptions are only altered states of brain functionning.
    Just ask psychotic persons what they are experimenting/feeling!

12. Sep 13, 2005 #11
    The OBE isn't a psychotic symptom, rather it is a common symptom of simple partial seizures that are affecting the parts of the parietal lobes that govern proprioception.

You obviously know alot about neurology. Have you read much about seizures?

13. Sep 13, 2005 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At least that's one theory.

14. Sep 13, 2005 #13

somasimple

Gold Member

Not really but I have few patients with this problem.

About pscychotic "vision", try a PubMed search there are tons of evidences.

15. Sep 13, 2005 #14
  16. Sep 13, 2005 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think point is that plenty of people who are not psychotic experience what is described as an OBE.

It is not logical to argue that any allegedly real experience than can be duplicated by mental illness or seizures, is not real. For example, I might have hallucinated that I was high above the clouds last week, or I might have been on an jet looking out the window. The fact that I might imagine this does not serve as evidence against the existance of airplanes.

17. Sep 13, 2005 #16

somasimple

Gold Member

I'm just a physiotherapist more involved in pain management/neurosciences.

The content is already known for me. (see below)

Do you mean that psychotic people are aliens? :rofl:

Here is a start => (a trial... :redface: )

We're living in the Past

18. Sep 13, 2005 #17

SGT

19. Sep 13, 2005 #18
    I have once had an OBE and it didn't feel psychotic or astral :smile:

I read somewhere that one out of ten people have one of those experiences at least once in their lives. Mine happened for no reason whatsoever; other than being exhausted from physical work I have no idea what may have induced it.

Having an OBE often brings a shift in perspective regarding some ideas about the human mind. Of course many people fall for this astral hocus-pocus, but abnormal brain functioning does not sound like a good explanation either. What I concluded from my experience is that our sense of self is not "inside" the body; the self is an abstract construct and does not have spatial location. As such, it's perfectly possible to feel "outside" the body, or anywhere in the universe. It's all in our imagination anyway.

Now I don't think anyone can acquire information about the world by "projecting" their sense of self somewhere else. I don't dispute that people can see things as if they were real, but I'm not aware of a single case where someone's observations in the OBE state were verified to be true. Which is why they came up with this idea of an "astral plane", which is probably the plane of one's imagination.

20. Sep 13, 2005 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Uh...okay, whatever you say. :uhh:

21. Sep 13, 2005 #20

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I can't provide any links, but I have at least read reports where the OBEs were confirmed by a second party, such as a person physically present at the site projected to confirming details of the OBEs account. They could very well be lying, but unless people are capable of sharing psychotic episodes across hundreds of miles, they can't be dismissed as psychosis.

Intentional astral projection would seem to be crap, though. If a person could really do it, it should be very easy to test. Just project them into a closed room with random images projected on the wall. Ask them what they saw, and play back the recording to see if they were right. Heck, ask them to project themselves into the space station and then ask the astronauts if the person gave a correct account. It would be nearly impossible to conspire with astronauts on a space station.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?