Opinions on Replacing Oil: What's Next?

In summary: So in summary, the book talks about the fact that we will run out of oil in less then a decade and about the new ways that people will have to go about their needs, one of which is hydrogen. Scientists say that this will not happen that soon, but there are other options for energy. People should read the book called water, which is freaky what you may think will happen.
wave41
I have a question I wanted to ask, or more like your opinions? I have read about the new book that rescently hit the book stores shelves, called Out of Gas. The books talks about the fact that we will run out of oil in less then a decate, which scientists say will not happen that soon. And also about the new ways that people will have to go about their needs..So what I wanted to ask is, what do you guys think we will use as a primary source to replace the oil? Nuclear power? Could it go as bad as coal or deeloped energy from the sun?...I think people will soon be not only fighting for oil but for water...if anyone interested read the book called water, it freaky what you may think will happen. Although Russia and Canada are pretty safe...

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
We are not going to run out of oil in the next ten years, but as supplies dwindle and the existing reserves get harder to reach the price will continue to rise. You should find quite a bit of interesting information in this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=29373

IMO, Go Hydrogen :smile:

This allows us to use a many sources for our energy supply.
In order to avoid duplicate threads, please keep any discussion of H2 in the thread linked.

Last edited:
I'd say: Go Clathrate

Although I'd say go clathrate also, the technology is not quite there yet to
tap into those resources. I think the big oil companies are investigating though.
While world liquid petroleum supplies are predicted to start dwindling in the next ten years, there is still oil in oil shale and tar sand, but it costs a bit more to extract. At current prices per bbl of crude oil, that option would now be cost effective.

1. What is the current state of oil production and consumption?

Currently, the world relies heavily on oil for transportation, energy production, and manufacturing. However, this reliance has led to environmental concerns and the depletion of finite resources.

2. Why is there a push to replace oil?

There are several reasons for the push to replace oil. One major reason is the negative impact on the environment, including air and water pollution, and contribution to climate change. Additionally, the limited supply and geopolitical tensions surrounding oil production and distribution make it an unstable energy source.

3. What are some potential alternatives to oil?

Some potential alternatives to oil include renewable energy sources such as solar, wind, and hydropower. Other options include biofuels, natural gas, and nuclear power. Each alternative has its own advantages and drawbacks.

4. How feasible is it to completely replace oil?

Completely replacing oil is a complex and ongoing process. While there are viable alternatives, they are not yet able to fully meet the current global demand for oil. However, with advancements in technology and increased investment in alternative energy sources, it is becoming increasingly feasible to move towards a more sustainable energy future.

5. What are the potential economic impacts of replacing oil?

The transition away from oil could have both positive and negative economic impacts. While there may be initial costs associated with implementing alternative energy sources, in the long run, it could lead to cost savings and job creation. However, there may also be economic consequences for industries and countries heavily reliant on oil. Careful planning and investment will be necessary to mitigate potential negative impacts.