Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Out of my league

1. Jan 26, 2017 #1
    I'm here in hopes to learn somthing. Anything I could potentially wrap my mind around. I'm a culinary arts school dropout. Almost 40 years old. I have no education in physics whatsoever. But I have always had the overwhelming urge to tinker. Also, recently have become highly interested in alternative energy. I guess you could say I'm starting from scratch. I promise not to be a pest and ask a lot of silly questions. I'd like to just observe the interesting topics and see what my brain can handle.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2017 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi Ralphwchapman. :welcome:

league maybe

4. Jan 26, 2017 #3
    Haha, already embarrassed by my first impression. Although mispelling my forum topic could be a great way to break the ice.

5. Jan 27, 2017 #4
    It's all good, Ralph. If one brain can learn it, so can another (unless you have a learning disability, I guess), so come and learn. Alternative energy is a cool topic, I made a real study out of it for a while. There are so many things out there. Not only emerging tech but also tech that was in practice for a while but was abandoned because it was cheaper to burn a fissile fuel at the time. A word of caution, though: there is also the fair share of nuts in this field pushing their ideas as fact and selling "plans" and "textbooks" on their "discovery." Just remember, if it ain't peer verified, it ain't a fact.

6. Jan 27, 2017 #5
    Excellent! That's the most important reason I joined. To have a means of staying away from the BS so I can focus on the valid.
    Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted