Out of state graduate education

In summary, the majority of physics graduate students do not pay for their tuition out-of-pocket in the U.S. Different states have different policies for determining in-state vs. out-of-state tuition, so it is important to contact the universities you are considering for clarification. Traditional PhD programs typically accept students with a BS and may offer the option to obtain a MS along the way. Establishing residency for in-state tuition is often not a difficult process for graduate students.
hunter151
Im a physics major in my junior year in a fairly small and unknown university. I plan to graduate at the end of winter 2009, and then its off to graduate school. My question is about paying for graduate school. As far as I understand, the majority of physics graduate students do not pay for their education out of pocket. Usually they are teaching or doing research, which pays enough to cover tuition, living and even some other minor expenses. First of all, is this true, or am I delusional to think I won't be knee deep in debt by the end of my education?

If the first part is true, then here is my second question. Being in michigan, my choice of in-state graduate schools is fairly limited - basically University of Michigan or Michigan State University. If I was accepted into a school out of state, are the tuition practices the same as for undergraduates? Do out of state graduate students get raped by having to pay 3x more than their in-state counter parts? If that's the case, I am assuming no TA or research position will cover these hefty tuition costs. And therefore, how do students go to schools not in their home state?

Any clarification here would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends. If you are only going for a masters degree then the most common scenario is that you will be paying for tuition etc (this isn't always true though). But if you are going for a PhD then your tuition fees etc. will most likely be waived and you will be given a stipend, on the condition that you are TAing or doing research.

In the school I'm looking at, tuition runs 600 dollars per credit hour out of state, but is like 150 in state. It is my understanding that receiving funding as a non phd is tough, and that generally you have to pay the full fees for at least a semester or two until you've "proven" yourself to a faculty member if you do not get a TA. As a physics major, applying for a phd looks pretty common though, so I wouldn't worry too much if you are committed to that path.

Ive heard of programs where you work towards a PhD straight after receiving the bachelor's degree. How common are these programs compared to the traditional course of receiving a masters and going towards a PhD afterwards?

Yes, the majority of physics grad students do not pay for their tuition out-of-pocket in the U.S.

I attend grad school at a public university in a different state than my legal residence, but because I'm living and working in that state, they consider my tuition in-state. Not that it matters to me, since I don't pay my own tuition. You should contact the out-of-state universities you're considering to double-check.

Edited to clarify: By "working" in that state, I mean that I have a graduate assistantship.

hunter151 said:
Ive heard of programs where you work towards a PhD straight after receiving the bachelor's degree. How common are these programs compared to the traditional course of receiving a masters and going towards a PhD afterwards?

The traditional PhD program is not as you describe. The traditional PhD program accepts students with a BS. After one or two years, one can pick up a MS if one really wants to. Many don't.

As far as in-state vs. out-of-state tuition, if there is any distinction, the university pays it if one gets a fellowship. Considering that grad students are adults who move to the state where the university is - and pay taxes there - establishing residency (if it even matters) is trivial.

What is out of state graduate education?

Out of state graduate education refers to pursuing a higher education degree at a university or college located in a state other than the one in which the student resides. This can include both master's and doctoral programs.

What are the benefits of attending an out of state graduate program?

Some potential benefits of attending an out of state graduate program include expanding your academic network, gaining exposure to different perspectives and research opportunities, and potentially higher quality programs in your field of study.

Are out of state graduate programs more expensive?

In most cases, out of state graduate programs are more expensive than in-state programs. This is because out of state students do not receive the same subsidies and discounts as in-state students. However, there may be scholarships and financial aid options available to help offset the cost.

Do out of state graduate programs have different admission requirements?

Admission requirements for out of state graduate programs may differ from in-state programs, but this varies by institution. It is important to research the specific requirements for each program you are interested in and make sure you meet them before applying.

How can I determine if an out of state graduate program is right for me?

When considering an out of state graduate program, it is important to weigh the potential benefits and drawbacks, as well as your personal goals and circumstances. You may also want to reach out to current students or alumni of the program to gain insight into their experiences.