1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Out of State Tuition- Undergrad

1. Feb 11, 2005 #1
    I live in Fort Lauderdale, FL. I am hoping to go into a Chemical Engineering program because I love Chemistry, but i'm not sure if I am looking to get a Ph.D. before I go to work (though I may), and it seems like a good program with fun and useful stuff.

That said, there are not schools for this in the Fort Lauderdale area, so if I wanted to stay in state I would have to move anyhow, and the best in the state are in Gainsville and Tallahassee (far and remote). So, I decided to apply to better ranked schools that are out of state. Is this a good move? I want to be involved in a program that is motivating, challenging, and where I am surrounded by the brightest students and the best research, get internships/co-ops, etc. But, I keep hearing not to bother paying out of state tuition and just go to a school in-state. My boyfriend is an IT Manager, works with networking & sys admin stuff and he will be moving with me, so a place where tech jobs are avail are also important.

FAFSA said my EFC is over 12000$ (I made near 40k last year.) If you enroll out of state do you pay out-of-state Tuition for the entire time in the school? Or, do you get a break after a few semesters when you establish residency? I don't want to be stupid and have a gazillion $ in loans, but I don't want to end up at a school where the education is not the greatest and the opportunities are few.

I applied to Berkeley, UCSD, UCLA, UT Austin, GA Tech, and Rose-Hullman. I was admitted to Rose-Hullman, but now it seems so cold, remote, and not to mention the extreme tuition they charge as a private school.

Please help me out with some advice and answers. I am not sure what I want to do with my Chem E. degree, maybe go into food science, or go to med school.. maybe get my graduate in Chem E or Chemistry if I so desire at that point.

Thanks for any help!!
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted