Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Outer differentiation?

1. Feb 19, 2004 #1
    "outer" differentiation?

Since I didn't get a response on the "Diff. Eqns." thread, I put it here.

Can someone give me a clear explaination of what is meant by "outer" differentiation.

As for example, when we differentiate the vector potential, dA/dx, in order to arrive at the magnetic field, B, why would this be called an 'outer' differentiation??

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2004 #2

Homework Helper

Re: "outer" differentiation?

Probably because d/dx is not exactly what you do. You take the cross product of the gradient operator with the vector potential to get the magnetic field. The cross product is sometimes called/related to the outer product, but that's tensor jargon with which I am unfamiliar.
  4. Feb 20, 2004 #3
    Re: Re: "outer" differentiation?

Thanks for the response, Turin;

and thanks for the correction. Oc course, you are accurate in saying it is the cross product of the gradient.
    I guess then if someone says "dA/dt is the outer differentiation" I should interpret that to mean they are simply referring to it as being a cross product.??

5. Feb 20, 2004 #4

Homework Helper

Re: Re: Re: "outer" differentiation?

I would ask them what they mean. I wouldn't know how to make sense of that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?