Calculating Matrix Representation of 11><11 for 2 Qubits

• Thread starter Getterdog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qubits
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the matrix representation of 11><11 and clarifies the correct way to order basis vectors in order to do so. The matrix representation is dependent on the ordered basis and can be calculated using the formula provided in the conversation. The concept of linear operators and their relationship to matrices is also mentioned.
Getterdog
Forming the matrix representation of say 1><1 is no problem but how does one calculate the matrix representation of 11><11 ? Is it
0 0 0 0
0 1 0 1
0 0 0 0
0 1 0 1
Any help? thanks jack

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i suppose 1> is (1 0)t then 11 is (1 0 0 0)t and the matrix is 1 in the upper left corner and all the rest 0.

Clarification

I take that 11>. Is (0 1 0 1 ) and < 10. Refers to ( 0 1 1 0 ) . The outer product as a matrix has more than 1 non zero entry.,so I'm still stuck. Any clarification on the correct way to do this.? Thanks

Unless 11< refers to ( 0 0 0 1) and 10< refers to (0 1 0 0 ) ,01< to (0 0 1 0) Is this it??

The matrix elements depend on the order of the basis vectors, so you need to choose a way to order them, e.g. (|00>,|01>,|10>,|11>). The matrix of |11><11| with respect to this ordered basis is
\begin{pmatrix}0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix} This could be anticipated from the fact that |11><11| is a projection operator for a 1-dimensional subspace of the vector space, which is 4-dimensional.

The matrix of any operator T with respect to this ordered basis is
\begin{pmatrix}\langle 00|T|00\rangle & \langle 00|T|01\rangle &\dots & &\\ \langle 01|T|00\rangle & \langle 01|T|01\rangle & \dots \\ \vdots & \vdots & \ddots \\ \end{pmatrix}
For more information, see the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=694922 about the relationship between linear operators and matrices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
If my previous reply didn't register, thanks,my problem was that I didn't order the basis vectors correctly. Now I can proceed , although something bugs me about ordering of the basis, nature doesn't seem to care about humans need to order anything. Thanks

1. What is an outer product of 2 qubits?

An outer product of 2 qubits is a mathematical operation that combines two quantum states to create a new composite state. It is a tensor product of the two individual states, resulting in a higher-dimensional state space.

2. How is an outer product of 2 qubits represented mathematically?

The outer product of two qubits, |a⟩ and |b⟩, is represented as |a⟩⊗|b⟩. This is also known as the tensor product, which is denoted by ⊗ symbol. The resulting composite state has a dimension equal to the product of the dimensions of the individual states.

3. What is the significance of outer products in quantum computing?

Outer products play a crucial role in quantum computing as they allow for the combination of multiple quantum states, resulting in a larger state space. This enables the representation and manipulation of more complex quantum systems, making it an essential tool in quantum algorithms and simulations.

4. How are outer products used in quantum entanglement?

Outer products are used in quantum entanglement to create entangled states, where the states of two or more qubits are correlated and cannot be described independently. This is achieved by applying an outer product to two or more individual states, resulting in a composite state with entanglement.

5. Can outer products of 2 qubits be visualized?

Yes, outer products of 2 qubits can be visualized using a graphical representation known as a quantum state vector. This vector represents the composite state of the two qubits and can be used to visualize the correlations and entanglement between the individual quantum states.