Output of best betavoltaics per size?

In summary, the best current betavoltaics can produce power outputs ranging from microwatts to milliwatts per square centimeter, but they are not yet on par with traditional batteries in terms of size for size comparison. Alphavoltaics show more promise, but are still in early stages of development. Claims about antigravity on certain websites should be approached with caution.
jim_990
does anyone know what power output the best current betavoltaics can produce per size per volume/type/radioactivity of fuel? Are they capable of size for size equaling a normal battery? and if not what fraction of the way there? or are alphavoltaics more promising? I cannot find much of interest on t
his except on these 'crazy' 'antigravity' web sites, which i don't know whether to believe or not.

Engineering news on Phys.org
jim_990 said:
does anyone know what power output the best current betavoltaics can produce per size per volume/type/radioactivity of fuel? Are they capable of size for size equaling a normal battery? and if not what fraction of the way there? or are alphavoltaics more promising? I cannot find much of interest on t
his except on these 'crazy' 'antigravity' web sites, which i don't know whether to believe or not.

Looks like your researching ways to build an Electrical energy source from a Beta emitter.

I heard that Beta decay emissions can be accelerated by inducing a current into it, I don't know how true it is though.

another potential maybe be to look into a Beta emitting Dielectric material and build a Beta emitting Capacitor. The Dielectric could be a b- or an b-b-
and the charge plates could capture the emissions.

Can't wait for High K Dielectrics in a spray can. Hehe. :smile:

Hi there, from my research, the current best betavoltaics can produce power outputs ranging from a few microwatts to several milliwatts per square centimeter. However, this greatly depends on the type and amount of radioactive fuel used. Some betavoltaic cells have been able to achieve energy densities comparable to traditional batteries, but they are still not quite there in terms of size for size comparison. Alphavoltaics, on the other hand, have shown more promise in terms of power output and efficiency, but they are still in the early stages of development and not yet commercially available. As for the 'crazy' antigravity websites, I would take their claims with a grain of salt as they are not backed by scientific evidence. Hope this helps!

1. What is the maximum output of betavoltaics per size?

The maximum output of betavoltaics per size depends on various factors such as the type of radioactive material used, the efficiency of the betavoltaic device, and the size of the device. Generally, the maximum output is in the range of a few milliwatts to several watts per square centimeter.

2. How does the output of betavoltaics compare to other types of solar cells?

Betavoltaics have a higher energy density compared to traditional solar cells, meaning they can produce more power per unit area. However, the overall efficiency of betavoltaics is lower, making them more suitable for niche applications where size and weight are critical factors.

3. What are the major factors that affect the output of betavoltaics per size?

The output of betavoltaics is influenced by the thickness and composition of the semiconductor materials used, the type and energy of the beta particles emitted by the radioactive source, and the efficiency of the device in converting the beta particles into electricity.

4. Can the output of betavoltaics be increased by using multiple radioactive sources?

Yes, the output of betavoltaics can be increased by using multiple radioactive sources. This is known as a stack configuration, where several thin layers of radioactive materials are stacked together to increase the overall output. However, this also increases the size and weight of the device.

5. How can the output of betavoltaics be improved in the future?

Research is ongoing to improve the efficiency and output of betavoltaic devices. Some potential areas of improvement include using more efficient semiconductor materials, optimizing the design and configuration of the device, and using advanced techniques such as nanostructuring to enhance the conversion of beta particles into electricity.