Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Output of electric motor

1. Aug 25, 2010 #1
    Hi all,

I bought a small gearhead motor for a uni project, however the shaft is a strange shape. Round for the most part with a flat section. Not sure how I'd connect it to something? I could use glue I guess but would prefer a cleaner solution. Is there washers/couplers for these type of shafts that are easily available? Been searching online for a good hour with no luck.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2010 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is a very common shaft for a motor. The flat spot is to be used with a set-screw to hold the coupling in place whicle in motion.

You can find a coupling that will work at http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/N2DRVSH?SISHNO=14263762&SISRCH=1&SIS0NO=1490332&SIT4NO=92383665".

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  4. Aug 25, 2010 #3
    Most of those components are more expensive than the motor...just to clarify, the motor's shaft is only ~2mm. Also, I didn't see any thing there that wasn't fully round.

[PLAIN]http://www.jaycar.com.au/products_uploaded/productLarge_7971.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Aug 25, 2010 #4

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Aug 25, 2010 #5
    Trying to attach it to a wooden axle. While I managed to get a D-ish shaped hole, the shaft grinded it round when the load got to heavy. Decided to just drill a flat screw through the axle onto the flat end of the shaft to keep it in place and it seems to be working well enough.

7. Aug 25, 2010 #6

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's working because that's how it's supposed to be used. Making a D-shaped hole is expensive and unnecessary.

8. Aug 25, 2010 #7
    Now I get what you were trying to say! So those small holes on the side of the couplers are for set (flat) screws?

Thanks for the help.

9. Aug 25, 2010 #8

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Excactly!

10. Aug 25, 2010 #9

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Flats on shafts can also be used in conjunction with 'Cotter Pins' like we used to have on all bicycle pedal cranks.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook