1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Output Voltage, AC Source

1. Nov 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The rms output voltage of an AC source is 180 V, and the operating frequency is 90 Hz. Write the equation giving the output voltage as a function of time t. (Use t as necessary.)

2. Relevant equations
    [tex](\Delta v) = (\Delta V_{max})sin\omega t[/tex]
    [tex]\Delta V_{max}= \sqrt{2}V_{max}[/tex]
    [tex]\omega = 2\pi f[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought it was a simple solve for the values of omega, Vmax, and plug those into the first equation, but I am apparently wrong according to the website. I don't think I have messed up. The only other thing I can think of is that they want it in cosine instead of sine. I got the following answer:

Voutput = 255sin(566t)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2008 #2
  4. Nov 14, 2008 #3

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Vrms = Vp/√2

Vt = Vp*sin(ωt) = √2*Vrms*sin(2*π*f*t) = 254.55*sin(565.48*t)

That's the way I figure it.

It's difficult to imagine that they would be picky about that small a rounding error.

5. Nov 14, 2008 #4
    I meant that with my one equation...I meant that Vmax = sqrt(2)Vrms. And...I know it must be right, they are just being picky about how it's typed in, yet, I get the same answer you get. It shouldn't be cosine (thought it could be, but would require a phase angle). It also shouldn't be negative as far as I can tell. And, as my answer is within 1% of your answer, it shouldn't be picky about that either. I will just try one other thing and then email my teacher about it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?