How Do You Calculate Output Voltage in a Circuit Analysis Problem?

In summary, The problem involves finding the output voltage vo in a circuit with a current controlled voltage source. The first step is to solve for the current in the left circuit, which is then used to set the voltage of the voltage source in the right circuit. Finally, the voltage divider in the right circuit can be used to solve for the output voltage.
Studious_stud

Homework Statement

Find the output voltage vo in the following circuit
2lctrw7.jpg

Homework Equations

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok well I've been going over a couple more questions before my exam in introductory circuit analysis and here's another one I've never really seen before. This may sound stupid but the fact that it's like two different circuits is kind of confusing me.

Could someone at least point me in the right direction towards solving this problem? Really appreciate it everyone, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Studious_stud said:

Homework Statement

Find the output voltage vo in the following circuit
2lctrw7.jpg

Homework Equations

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok well I've been going over a couple more questions before my exam in introductory circuit analysis and here's another one I've never really seen before. This may sound stupid but the fact that it's like two different circuits is kind of confusing me.

Could someone at least point me in the right direction towards solving this problem? Really appreciate it everyone, thanks.

It's all one circuit, actually. The left part defines the current, which is then used in the right circuit's "current controlled voltage source". So solve for the current in the left circuit first, and then use that current to set the voltage of the voltage source, and then solve for the voltage divider in the right circuit to get the output voltage.

Makes sense?

Last edited:
berkeman said:
It's all one circuit, actually. The left part defines the current, which is then used in the right circuit's "current controlled voltage source". So solve for the current in the left circuit first, and then use that current to set the voltage of the voltage source, and then solve for the voltage divider in the right circuit to get the output voltage.

Makes sense?

Perfect sense, thanks!

EDIT: Just did the calculation and got the correct answer. Thanks for the help again

Last edited:

1. What is the output voltage of a circuit?

The output voltage of a circuit is the electrical potential difference between the positive and negative terminals of the circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and can vary depending on the components and design of the circuit.

2. How is the output voltage of a circuit calculated?

The output voltage of a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). This can be represented by the formula V = IR. Alternatively, output voltage can also be calculated by measuring the voltage drop across the load of the circuit.

3. What affects the output voltage of a circuit?

The output voltage of a circuit can be affected by several factors, including the input voltage, the type and arrangement of components in the circuit, and the load connected to the circuit. Changes in any of these factors can result in a change in the output voltage.

4. Can the output voltage of a circuit be increased?

Yes, the output voltage of a circuit can be increased by using a voltage amplifier or by connecting multiple power sources in series. It is important to note that increasing the output voltage may also affect other aspects of the circuit, such as current and resistance.

5. How is the output voltage of a circuit measured?

The output voltage of a circuit can be measured using a voltmeter, which is a device specifically designed for measuring voltage. The voltmeter should be connected in parallel to the load of the circuit, and the measurement should be taken when the circuit is active.