Is it possible to spend a million dollars in one day in New York?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, America offers extravagant and expensive food items such as a thousand-dollar pizza, omelet, and chocolate sundae. There are also services like expensive matchmakers who cater exclusively to millionaires. However, these services may not always guarantee a perfect match, as one woman who paid a hefty fee ended up being an ax murderer. Overall, the conversation highlights the wealthy and their extravagant spending habits on unnecessary items and services.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Does America really need a thousand-dollar pizza?

Probably not, but we've got one anyway. Not to mention a thousand-dollar omelet. There's even a thousand-dollar chocolate sundae.

http://potw.news.yahoo.com/s/potw/45857/new-york-on-a-million-a-day

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
$1000 and it doesn't even come with a drink? Pffft. Talk about overpriced.

Okay, so it's really just unusual ways to serve expensive caviar?

Sevruga caviar is the 3rd best caviar, and what the hell is "dessert caviar"? No one is putting salted fish eggs on my chocolate sundae! :yuck:

Hmm, wealth redistribution from those with more cash than brains towards those with more moxie than scruples. The rest of us peons are just entertained spectators of this little play.

So we found a guide to this world of tasteless extremes:
I'd agree.

But then this is for the crowd who can piss away "$200,000 Ferraris, $450,000 yachts, $20 million apartments on Columbus Circle with floor-to-ceiling" -

oh but wait - there's more -
Janis Spindel will set you up with the person of your dreams. But it will cost you as much as $500,000.

Pretty sad.

Yeah, but I was trying to figure out how that works when the matchmaker's clientele are all men? Does she just set them up with her friends? Can I be added to the list? Not that I really want to be with someone who would toss away that much money to have someone else find him a girlfriend, but it might be enjoyable to date him for a while, and when I've amassed enough loot, hit the road again. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Yeah, but I was trying to figure out how that works when the matchmaker's clientele are all men? Does she just set them up with her friends? Can I be added to the list? Not that I really want to be with someone who would toss away that much money to have someone else find him a girlfriend, but it might be enjoyable to date him for a while, and when I've amassed enough loot, hit the road again. :biggrin:
I believe women register with matchmaker organizations. The organizations supposedly screen the women before matching them up with potential boyfriends/husbands.

Another example - http://www.valentiinternational.com/ - based in San Diego. It is one of several which advertise in airline magazines and probably business journals like Fortune. They cater to a wealthy clientele.

Astronuc said:
I'd agree.

But then this is for the crowd who can piss away "$200,000 Ferraris...

Excuse me, but one doesn't piss when it comes to Ferraris. :grumpy: One is simply helping the Italian people. :uhh:

Astronuc said:
I believe women register with matchmaker organizations. The organizations supposedly screen the women before matching them up with potential boyfriends/husbands.
Funny story relating to those exclusive matchmaking services for millionaires.

My best friend's (we'll call her Ann) fiance's ex-wife who was the ex-girlfriend of my then current boyfriend (we'll call her Bimbo) belonged to one of these services. The services supposedly verify things like education, employment history, do credit and arrest searches, etc... Anyway, when my ex-boyfriend (he was a millionaire, she was a golddigger) was dating her, a friend of his told him he'd seen her video at this exclusive matchmaking service for wealthy men. While I was dating him, he had to take out a restraining order on her for stalking him.

To make a long story short, she's currently in prison for killing her husband. I guess even for a $500,000 fee, you can't be sure your perfect "match" isn't an ax murderer. (ok, so she bludgeoned him to death with a 2x4 while he was asleep in bed, same result).

I think this explains why I don't date anyone near me anymore. Everyone knows, has dated, been married to, or killed someone within the same small circle of people. I've had much better luck meeting people on the internet.

Last edited:
Evo said:
My best friend's (we'll call her Ann) fiance's ex-wife who was the ex-girlfriend of my then current boyfriend (we'll call her Bimbo) belonged to one of these services. The services supposedly verify things like education, employment history, do credit and arrest searches, etc... Anyway, when my ex-boyfriend (he was a millionaire, she was a golddigger) was dating her, a friend of his told him he'd seen her video at this exclusive matchmaking service for wealthy men. While I was dating him, he had to take out a restraining order on her for stalking him.

To make a long story short, she's currently in prison for killing her husband. I guess even for a $500,000 fee, you can't be sure your perfect "match" isn't an ax murderer. (ok, so she bludgeoned him to death with a 2x4 while he was asleep in bed, same result).
Reality trumps fiction.

Evo said:

I guess you get what you pay for

I wonder if he said to himself during the process, "This is going to kill me to pay that much!"

Last edited:
Geez, and I thought paying $8.00 for a tray of pizza was a little on the pricey side:rolleyes:

Evo said:
Funny story relating to those exclusive matchmaking services for millionaires.

I think this explains why I don't date anyone near me anymore. Everyone knows, has dated, been married to, or killed someone within the same small circle of people. I've had much better luck meeting people on the internet.

That's whacked!

I guess it's true what they say. Money can't buy love, unless ofcourse that love is for the money.

Evo said:
I've had much better luck meeting people on the internet.

At least I can't kill you or you me (assuming we never physically meet).

wildman said:
At least I can't kill you or you me (assuming we never physically meet).
That's what I say every time I apply to a new dating site. For some reason they keep banning me. I can't figure out why.:uhh:

When you apply to a dating site, you should mention things like "haven't killed anybody", "never convicted of stalking", etc, so they know you're up-and-up.

Huckleberry said:
For some reason they keep banning me. I can't figure out why.:uhh:
-->

turbo-1 said:
When you apply to a dating site, you should mention things like "haven't killed anybody", "never convicted of stalking", etc, so they know you're up-and-up.

..and, for example, "Never killed my parents and stored them in my refrigerator.", "Never tortured cats and other animals in some of these different ways: a) ... , b) ..., c) ...", etc.

"Not a danger to self or others" is also good, especially if you can provide a signed evaluation with that statement.

mmm and i thought my 5pound pizza in edinburgh was expensive. Now it sounds might good for the price. To bad I am back in germany.

whitay said:
To bad I am back in germany.
What are you complaining about? Bier, schnitzel, bier, bratwurst, bier, sauerkraut, bier, . . . , und bier!

Math Is Hard said:
"Not a danger to self or others" is also good, especially if you can provide a signed evaluation with that statement.
Yeah, over the years I've come to realize that just because I am in close physical proximity to someone doesn't mean I have to kill them, or them me. My life is so much more sociable now. I've got 5 women tied up in the basement and we talk all night. It's ok, one of them is my psychiatrist. I showed her that evaluation form and she seemed quite eager to sign it for me. Life certainly looks like it's on the up and up, as turbo puts it.

I don't think I could eat a $1000 pizza. I'd probably try to shellac it and hang it on the wall above the fireplace. Someone would have to be crazy to eat a $1000 pizza.

Math Is Hard said:
Or "Mostly harmless".

Astronuc said:
Or "Mostly harmless".

Or "Harmless while sedated".

Astronuc said:
What are you complaining about? Bier, schnitzel, bier, bratwurst, bier, sauerkraut, bier, . . . , und bier!

Genau...

Though beer is great it does werid things to your body. I've adopted a taste for vodka now. But I will ofcourse have a beer along side my vodka (orange or cola mix). Schnitzel, mmm today is sunday and sunday is usually SCHNITZELTAG. mmmm bratwurst :))... sauerkraut that rocks, if its there I eat it.

radou said:
Or "Harmless while sedated".
Or maybe "never intentionally killed my date".

or "What 'use' do you have on a date with your 2x4?"

I guess I should mention what ended my relationship with the guy. He staged his own disappearance to see how I would react. He was really upset that I didn't come unglued and check his house, his business, canvass freinds and family, report him as missing, etc...

I figured he was well known enough and had close family in town, his company and clients, that if he was truly "missing" that one of them would have said something or reported him as missing. When no one did, I figured his behavior was bizarre since we were getting along great and he'd call me every day and talk for at least 2-3 hours at a time, even though we only lived 30 minutes away from each other and saw each other all of the time.

Again, another reason I prefer long distance relationships so the craziness can float to the top before I become too involved.

--no red flags before that?

rewebster said:
--no red flags before that?
A few blue and yellow, but no red. :biggrin:

He was a bit flambouyant, owned a number of antique cars as well as a couple of Porches and Jaguars. His garages were temperature and humidity controlled, for the cars, but my parent's neighbor that collected antique Rolls Royces previously owned by Majarasha's had a similar set up, so I grew up around this kind of thing. He had his own ticker tape machine in his house, which I guess also made sense for his stock trades

Last edited:
Evo said:
A few blue and yellow, but no red. :biggrin:

you're not color blind, are you?

1. Can I really spend a million dollars in one day in New York?

Yes, it is possible to spend a million dollars in one day in New York. However, it would require strategic planning and a significant amount of disposable income.

2. How can I possibly spend a million dollars in one day in New York?

There are several ways to spend a million dollars in one day in New York. Some options include purchasing luxury items such as designer clothing and jewelry, booking extravagant hotel suites, dining at high-end restaurants, and attending exclusive events.

3. Is it legal to spend a million dollars in one day in New York?

Yes, it is legal to spend a million dollars in one day in New York. However, it is important to follow all laws and regulations while making purchases and engaging in activities.

4. What are some examples of how to spend a million dollars in one day in New York?

Some examples of how to spend a million dollars in one day in New York could include purchasing a luxury car, chartering a private yacht, renting out a penthouse suite, and attending a Broadway show with VIP tickets.

5. Is it financially responsible to spend a million dollars in one day in New York?

Spending a million dollars in one day in New York may not be considered financially responsible for most people. It is important to have a solid financial plan in place and consider the long-term consequences before making such a large expenditure.