Outrageous Injustice: Saudi Woman Sentenced to Jail, Lashes

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: Morality is relative and varies from culture to culture. It's impossible to tolerate something so extreme to us. But if you look at our justice system through a magnifying lens, you will see it's no different.
mjsd said:
I've been reading all the posts. Although I agree with many on this board that such law/punishment is unjustifiable, uncivilised and disgusting, it is perhaps true that human rights itself is not universal. far from it!
Over time different cultures would change and evolve, some change faster than others, and some take on different directions. In our opinion, based on our own values/education, and at this particular time/era, we see that these laws are absurd, however, there is nothing universal about what/how we think. 500 years from now when people in the future look back to what we do now, I am sure that they will have more than a few things to say about our values, our so-called laws.

Give u a common example: 300-400 years ago, if you say anything that defies the church's teachings, you would be sent to the inquisition and burnt alive as a heretic. Barbaric by today standard? surely.
Now, society has changed, because the thinking of the common people has changed.
And until that has also happened in the Islamic states (ie. the ppl changes their own values/thinking), it is perhaps incorrect for us to impose our values on them and force them to change, even though we could try to persuade them, encourage them and educate them so that they could change or judge for themselves.

I don't know if things really change that much. It is what the leaders can get away with rather than some change in the society. It is all about power. One of the points of the Jesus quote I made above is that he was condeming exactly this kind of behavior 2000 years ago. Yet as you pointed out 1700 years later religious leaders were doing the exact thing he was condeming (in his name no less!). Strange no?

The problem is not in Saudi or Islamic culture. To imply that is really an insult to the (vast majority) of the good people in those states. The problem is the absolute power given to the religious leaders of those states. These leaders should not be allowed to hide behind their culture like some kind of shield. The religious leaders in Jesus' day knew what they were doing was wrong (that is why they strung him up), the Christian leaders knew it was wrong 300 years ago and the Islamic leaders know what they are doing is wrong today. There is no excuse for this kind of behavior. Period.

Long live separation of Church and State!

Physics news on Phys.org
mjsd said:
So, can we do anything? Well, we, as ppl from outside, could only do so much without interferring with the choices that others made, otherwise, we ourselves become the so-called "dictators" who tend to dictate what others should do. Strictly speaking, we don't have that right to impose/force others to be with us, with our values. All we could do is reach out with a heart and hope that they would realize that those continual suffering may not be the best way to go about things. If they don't listen, then they will have to learn the lesson the hard way. ie. continue to suffer, the culture and civilisation continue to linger in the "stone age"... and they will suffer the consequences, and perhaps self-destruct one day.
The prime directive doesn't really apply here (this is more at Dave's argument) because these people do not live in unaffected isolation. They travel outside the ME (many of them emigrate to other coutries); they trade with the rest of the world; they participate in sporting meets; they accept humanitarian aid from the outside world and they enjoy membership in global organizations like the UN. In other words, they have chosen to open themselves up to external pressures, whether they be in the form of trade limitations, denial of memberships, exclusion from participation in events or refusal of aid.

However, they have little to fear in the form of aggressive external pressure so long as they hold their trump card: oil.

Gokul43201 said:
The prime directive doesn't really apply here (this is more at Dave's argument) because these people do not live in unaffected isolation. They travel outside the ME (many of them emigrate to other coutries); they trade with the rest of the world; they participate in sporting meets; they accept humanitarian aid from the outside world and they enjoy membership in global organizations like the UN. In other words, they have chosen to open themselves up to external pressures, whether they be in the form of trade limitations, denial of memberships, exclusion from participation in events or refusal of aid.

However, they have little to fear in the form of aggressive external pressure so long as they hold their trump card: oil.

I must say that there is nothing seriously incorrect about what you have said here. The sticking point, however, has always been where to draw the line?

There is no doubt that if those countries, like u said, wish to enjoy the benefit of being part of the global family, they must play by the rules. If you want to get a slice of the cake, you must join the party first. :smile: I guess there are ppl/countries who gatecrash just because they have enough arms/oil.

So, ignoring the complex politics for the moment, the first question that come to my mind is who should set these rules? US? Europe? Asia? Islam? Christian Groups? Catholic Church? Buddists? Environmentalists? Immediately, one would have a problem. Because people from different background will inevitably have different values and ideals. And it is sometimes (or always) hard to say outright who is right and who is wrong.

Now, if you put in the elements of politics/veseted interests/religious fundamentalism/$$$, the "truth" would probably be further obscured. And we often have this misleading picture of "good guys" vs "bad guys".

There is no easy solution to the problem, I admit. In fact, a solution may not even exist. But one must ask the question: how much one should cross the line. Because if we allow ourselves to cross the line (based on our own values) by X amount, there is no reason why the other side cannot be allowed to cross the line (based on their values) by X amount towards our direction either; unless, we are somehow inherently better by default (mind you ppl may need to get an universal agreement on this first), and so we can over-rule others! A bit like a parent teaching a child, the child may always think s/he is right, while with a good heart (hopefully no politics here!) the parent is trying to help by over-ruling her/him. But hey, should we regard ourselves as the parent in this situation? More importantly, would they see us as the parent?

I think the best we could do is to play the role of an adviser. But surely, an adviser has no real powers and cannot force change effectively. Ok, basically, you can't have it both ways, you either get your hands dirty or you don't. And whether it is more correct to get your hands dirty to force something you believe is correct, it is just a matter of opinion. There is really nothing universal about it.

This is basically my point (hopefully clarified). And, surely, I hope that one day they would realize what might be better for themselves. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
I agree with the thread title - the flogging of the woman in question is an outrageous injustice. The infliction of bodily injury (corporal punishment) upon a person is retribution, not justice.

Justice is about meting out punishment to fit the crime, ostensibly to discourage one from repeating the crime and others from committing the crime. The woman violated a law (an unjust law IMO). But does the punishment of 200 lashes constitute justice? I declare NO - and to me that is self-evident.

A law is unjust if it is applied selectively and non-uniformly.

The government/society in Saudi Arabia is repressive. I believe the West must speak out against this current example of injustice and all injustices, as opposed to quietly (and tacitly) accepting/ignoring it. Injustice is wrong and needs to be eliminated.

At the same time, we in the west need to work for justice in our own communities and in our daily lives. This is an example of being consistent in order to be credible.

It was only 40-50 years ago that African-Americans had to pressure the US governments (federal/state/local) into guaranteeing certain basic human/civil rights. I certainly remember watching television news which broadcast the local government leaders and police (all white) attacking unarmed African-American demonstrators, and those who were trying to exercise their inalienable rights to vote or participate in democratic elections.

Looking back further - it was a capitable crime in one or more American colonies to be a heretic or hold beliefs contrary to the established church, which was, in some (possibly all) cases, the Church of England.

Saudi Arabia's Justice Ministry said a girl who it sentenced to jail time and flogging after being gang raped by seven men was an adulteress who invited the attack because at the time she was partially dressed in a parked car with her lover.

"The Saudi justice minister expressed his regret about the media reports over the role of the women in this case which put out false information and wrongly defended her"

It said the sentence of prison and lashes, handed down last week following an appeal, was legal and followed the "the book of God and the teachings of the Prophet Muhammad," noting that she had "confessed to doing what God has forbidden."

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gatdiDluEsGnwNSjGRpufAW_7flQD8T50G880

The danger of basing laws on religious texts. It shows just how sick and twisted they are by actually blaming her for "inviting" the attack.

"We reiterate that judicial rulings in this virtuous country ... are based on God's book and the traditions of his Prophet and that no ruling is issued without being based on evidence,

That is just so sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is another story along the same lines:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7112929.stm

"A British schoolteacher has been arrested in Sudan accused of insulting [Religious Icon], after she allowed her pupils to name a teddy bear [Name of Religious Icon].

Colleagues of Gillian Gibbons, 54, from Liverpool, said she made an "innocent mistake" by letting the six and seven-year-olds choose the name.

Ms Gibbons was arrested after several parents made complaints.

The BBC has learned the charge could lead to six months in jail, 40 lashes or a fine."

Why did you say "religious icon" instead of "Big Mo"?

J77 said:
Why did you say "religious icon" instead of "Big Mo"?

I though [Religious Icon] was more respectful and/or less confrontational.

She got 15 days in jail -- which won't be very nice for her :(

BBC have put together a nice article on what can't be called Mo -- apparently, it's also the 2nd most popular name for baby boys in the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7115821.stm
"Millions of Muslim children in Muslim nations give their dolls, pets and teddies Muslim names of the Prophet and his mother, daughters and wives."
This seems more a local, lack of awareness of the outside world thing than a religious one.

Having said that, she should have known the local customs having lived there.

Last edited:
"You're not supposed to give a religious name to any objects - it could be seen as idolatry."
from BBC article. I guess I have a problem with this - "it COULD be seen . . . ".

Children (people) give names to objects or pets out of 'affection' for those objects or pets. That is NOT idolatry. Those objects/pets are not worshipped, but simply a source of affection.

Geez, some people need to lighten up.

It's gotten worse, they've had to move the teacher due to calls for her execution. It seems the Islamic community in other coutries are speaking out against this.

KHARTOUM, Sudan - Thousands of Sudanese, many armed with clubs and knives, rallied Friday in a central square and demanded the execution of a British teacher convicted of insulting Islam for allowing her students to name a teddy bear "Muhammad.

In response to the demonstration, teacher Gillian Gibbons was moved from the women's prison near Khartoum to a secret location for her safety, her lawyer said.

The protesters streamed out of mosques after Friday sermons, as pickup trucks with loudspeakers blared messages against Gibbons, who was sentenced Thursday to 15 days in prison and deportation. She avoided the more serious punishment of 40 lashes.

They massed in central Martyrs Square outside the presidential palace, where hundreds of riot police were deployed. They did not try to stop the rally, which lasted about an hour.

"Shame, shame on the U.K.," protesters chanted.

They called for Gibbons' execution, saying, "No tolerance: Execution," and "Kill her, kill her by firing squad."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071130/ap_on_re_af/sudan_british_teacher

Who thought that the dark ages were over?

Does anyone else think the teacher in the Sudan is dumb for appealing her sentence? Doesn't she see the parallel with what happened to the woman in Saudia Arabia? They could always decide to up the sentence. And even after she goes free, she's going to need to leave because she's in serious danger of being lynched - so just take your 15 days of jail and then get the heck out of Dodge.

russ_watters said:
Does anyone else think the teacher in the Sudan is dumb for appealing her sentence? Doesn't she see the parallel with what happened to the woman in Saudia Arabia? They could always decide to up the sentence. And even after she goes free, she's going to need to leave because she's in serious danger of being lynched - so just take your 15 days of jail and then get the heck out of Dodge.
Definitely dumb! There are enough hard-liners screaming for blood that she is better off gone, and the sooner the better.

russ_watters said:
When did she appeal the sentence, I hadn't seen that?? Anyway, the article says that she is being held for 15 days to serve her jail sentence then being deported.

I heard that some people are screaming for her execution.

What is wrong with them?!? She was the victim yet she was punished... How inhuman!

According to the king, the judges made the right decision, but he pardoned her none the less.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22293189/"

jimmysnyder said:
According to the king, the judges made the right decision, but he pardoned her none the less.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22293189/"

"The case sparked international outcry, especially after the court more than doubled the sentence last month to 200 lashes and six months prison in response to her appeal.

U.S. President George W. Bush expressed anger at the sentence earlier this month, saying he wondered how he would react if it had been one of his daughters. But he said he had not made his views known directly to the Saudi king, a U.S. ally."

I wonder what bush would say if one of his daughters was 'waterboarded'?

theCandyman said:
The absolute worst. Cutural norms and religion are not anywhere near a good excuse for this kind of judgement. What happened to the men?

cultural norms and religion can be a good excuse. You can't apply your cultural norms and religion.
I'm not agreeing with the saudis but simply making a point that cultural norms and religion can justify anything depending on what the norms and religions entail.

russ_watters said:

SHe was mindless for going there in the first place. Had she known her geography it would have been a no-brainer.