Outside the Universe

Since I also use the terminology of the “meaningless question” I’ll give my interpenetration.

A question has to have a viable premise. It has to be answerable or arguable or even an unanswerable, but yet still maintains the criteria of a question.

I look at my watch right now, it is 2:30pm. I can then ask; If it is 2:30 pm here what time is it in the middle of the closest black.
Not only is it unanswerable, the question is meaningless.

Another point, good questions are as important as good answers.

I think at times when people get into a very philosophical area they should carefully think about how to word a question rather than just ‘hip shot’ it.

I think the response would perhaps be more positive.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
I look at my watch right now, it is 2:30pm. I can then ask; If it is 2:30 pm here what time is it in the middle of the closest black.
Not only is it unanswerable, the question is meaningless.
Of course it is, but you have picked an obvious one (In fact, why did you invent an example that is obvious? Is it perhaps because the one under discussion wasn't obviously non-sensical, yes?).

The asker does not necessarily know what about the question does not make sense; if they did, they probably wouldn't have asked it.

Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Since our universe is that which can be observed, to be outside our universe would to be unobservable. In other words if we can observe it it is in our universe.

Note that since we have rules about what can be discussed on these forums, such a question brings up more then a few problems. We restrict our discussions to known and accepted physics, and specifically prohibit religion. It is my humble opinion that things that lie outside our universe fall into the realm of metaphysics and religion, therefore this topic falls into forbidden territory.

How can we discuss the unobservable while staying within the realm of known physics?

In fact, why did you invent an example that is obvious? Is it perhaps because the one under discussion wasn't obviously non-sensical, yes?
I was certainly not going to present an example that was ambitious. There would have been no point in it. So, of courses I kept it obvious.

The asker does not necessarily know what about the question does not make sense; if they did, they probably wouldn't have asked it.
Yes, I can absolutely appreciate your point here and agree.

However, I will still imply this thread can go on indefinitely and still be no farther ahead than when it started.

It is possible that what we call "Universe" is a just a brane in a highly dimensional world called "Multiverse".
In that sense question can be valid and the answer is "Multiverse".

Anyone who asks "what is outside of the universe" knows nothing about... the universe. It is an entirely meaningless question. Just like asking "what happened 'before' the universe'". Meaningless garbage. The universe is all there is. No outside of it.

If we are talking about inflationary multiverses, we can define "outside" differently, but that is a different matter.

If you want to believe the universe is expanding, fine, but it's just expanding. Not expanding into something. It's expanding in the sense that things are getting further apart. Period.
This almost sounds like a quasi-religious stance to me heh! It's almost a stubborn refusal to question. Maybe there's fear lurking in such staunch conservatism, like a fear of the unknown or something?

Jack21222 makes valid points. Inside an event horizon of a black hole, you would be completely disengaged from the "outside universe", but that doesn't mean "nothing" exists "out there" somewhere!

Besides, Dmitry67 correctly points out our universe may be a subset of a larger multiverse. Defining "universe" as an "all-encompassing EVERYTHING" can be deceptive and is really nothing more than word-games!

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
This almost sounds like a quasi-religious stance to me heh! It's almost a stubborn refusal to question. Maybe there's fear lurking in such staunch conservatism, like a fear of the unknown or something?
Such statements have nothing to do with Cosmology, and thus this thread is done.