Over estimate of dark matter

1. wolram

wolram 3,770
    Gold Member

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0602519

Authors: H. Balasin, D. Grumiller
    Comments: 11 pages revtex4, 4 eps figures
    Report-no: LU-ITP 2006/002

Exact stationary axially symmetric solutions of the 4D Einstein equations with co-rotating pressureless perfect fluid sources are studied. This is of physical relevance for the dynamics of galaxies and questions concerning dark matter. A particular solution with approximately flat rotation curve is discussed in some detail. We find that simple Newtonian arguments over-estimate the amount of matter needed to explain these curves by more than 30%.

2. jcsd
  3. SpaceTiger

SpaceTiger 2,977
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's very interesting. Basically, they've done an analysis similar to that of Cooperstock and Tieu (the "GR accounting for dark matter" folks), but avoiding all of the "exotic matter" and "singular disk" problems. They find that GR effects can account for a small (~30 percent), but non-negligible, fraction of the dark matter. I must admit, it's still surprising to me that GR would be necessary at all in this limit, but I find this result to be much more plausible than the Cooperstock one.

4. Chronos

Chronos 10,053
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Agreed, ST. It is a plausible approach. However, I question how well it would work with large scale structures.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?