1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

*over Here! Help Please*

DO U KNOW THE PROBLEM WITH MY MOTOR?

Poll closed Jun 6, 2005.
  1. BATTERY-9 VOLTS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. COIL-COPPER INSULATED

100.0%
  3. SOMETHING MISSING?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ACTUAL SETUP OF MOTOR

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jun 3, 2005 #1
    PREVIOUSLY I NEEDED HELP TO MAKE A SIMPLE ELECTRIC MOTOR. HOWEVER NOW I NEED HELP GETTING IT GOING!!!

I'M SURE I'VE DONE EVERYTHING RIGHT BUT THE COIL JUST DOESN'T BUDGE. IF UR WONDERING WHAT I DID ITS THIS:
    I PLACED MY COIL (MADE FROM COPPER WIRE) ON TWO PAPER CLIP SUPPORTS WITH LOOPS IN THE TOP FOR THE COIL END THINGYS TO GO THROUGH. (THE LOOPS I MEAN, LOOK LIKE THE BOTTOMS OF SAFETY PINS). I SUPPORTED THIS ON TWO RECTANGULAR STUBS OF WOOD. AND I TOOK OFF HALF THE INSULATION ON ONE SIDE OF THE COIL, LIKE I'M SUPPOSED TO AND ALL OF THE INSULATION OFF THE OTHER. I'VE ALSO GOT A REALLY REALLY STRONG MAGNET (I THINK ITS FROM A SPEAKER- I GOT IT OFF MY DAD) AND MY BATTERY WORKS JUST FINE(9 VOLTS). I'VE CONNECTED UP THE WIRES AND ALLIGATOR CLIPS TO THE PAPERCLIP SUPPORT AND THE BATTERY YET IT STILL DOESN'T WORK! :confused:

PLEASE IF YOU CAN HELP I'D BE SO GRATEFUL COZ RIGHT NOW I'M ABSOLUTELY CLUELESS! AND... ITS DUE ON THIS MONDAY!!!!! (THE 6TH) :bugeye:
    PLEASE BE QUICK HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!
    THANK YOU SO MUCH

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How does your motor armature connect to the battery?

In order to make the DC motor work, you have to reverse or cancel the magnetic field of the armature every half turn. To do this, the contacts between the battery and motor armature have to be be reversed every half turn or interrupted for half a turn every half turn.

AM

P.S. Don't use all capitals...it is considered as shouting in cyberspace.

4. Jun 4, 2005 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

My guess is that you are removing insulation from the wrong place. You need to strip the insulation off one-half of the wire that contacts the support loops. (Note that this is exactly the problem Andrew is warning you about.) For a cool link describing how to make a simple motor, check this: http://www.scitoys.com/scitoys/scitoys/electro/electro.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?