Overall Charge of Universe

• Thread starter darkar
  • Start date
Is there any indication that the overall charge of universe is postitive, negative or neutral?

Answers and Replies

ohwilleke
Gold Member
There is no evidence of a charged universe of which I am aware. Mainstream astronomy assumes with considerably success that the only force acting at astronomical distances is gravity.

SpaceTiger
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
darkar said:
Is there any indication that the overall charge of universe is postitive, negative or neutral?
It would be virtually impossible to test whether the universe is exactly neutral, though I suppose the discovery of a reaction in which charge is not conserved would strongly suggest that it isn't. I'm pretty sure no such reaction has been observed.

So, this imply that the universe is neutral?

If the universe was multiply connected, it would be even harder to define the total charge.

Also General Relativity makes it hard to give a universal definition of positive or negative.

It would be virtually impossible to test whether the universe is exactly neutral, though I suppose the discovery of a reaction in which charge is not conserved would strongly suggest that it isn't. I'm pretty sure no such reaction has been observed.
I thought I had heared that on (don't no the exact value for X, but it is very big) X particles there are created Y anti particles where Y<X and nobody knows where these anti particles are that should be there.

SpaceTiger
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Kruger said:
I thought I had heared that on (don't no the exact value for X, but it is very big) X particles there are created Y anti particles where Y<X and nobody knows where these anti particles are that should be there.
Violation of matter-antimatter symmetry doesn't necessarily imply violation of charge conservation, but yes, there is a question about why there's more matter in the universe than antimatter.