Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Overall Charge of Universe

1. Aug 17, 2005 #1
    Is there any indication that the overall charge of universe is postitive, negative or neutral?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2005 #2

ohwilleke

Gold Member

There is no evidence of a charged universe of which I am aware. Mainstream astronomy assumes with considerably success that the only force acting at astronomical distances is gravity.

4. Aug 17, 2005 #3

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It would be virtually impossible to test whether the universe is exactly neutral, though I suppose the discovery of a reaction in which charge is not conserved would strongly suggest that it isn't. I'm pretty sure no such reaction has been observed.

5. Aug 17, 2005 #4
    So, this imply that the universe is neutral?

6. Aug 17, 2005 #5
    If the universe was multiply connected, it would be even harder to define the total charge.

Also General Relativity makes it hard to give a universal definition of positive or negative.

7. Aug 17, 2005 #6
    I thought I had heared that on (don't no the exact value for X, but it is very big) X particles there are created Y anti particles where Y<X and nobody knows where these anti particles are that should be there.

8. Aug 17, 2005 #7

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Violation of matter-antimatter symmetry doesn't necessarily imply violation of charge conservation, but yes, there is a question about why there's more matter in the universe than antimatter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?