Calculating Overall Power in Nd/YAG Laser

In summary, to calculate the overall power of a Nd/YAG laser operating at a 10 Hz repetition rate in the third harmonic (355nm) with a pulse energy of 150mJ, we use the formula P=E/t. Using the given values, we can calculate that the power of the laser light is 1.5 J/s. However, there was a mistake in the attempt at a solution where E was used for both energy and power, and the correct unit for power is watts (W). Therefore, the correct formula is P=W/s.
nachos1

Homework Statement

In the units of watts (J/s) calculate the overall power of the laser light generated by Nd/YAG laser operating with a 10 Hz repetition rate in the third harmonic (355nm) at 150mJ per pulse

Homework Equations

I can't figure out how to do this problem see attempt below:

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the following:
Power= E/t=J/s=watt
E=hc/wavelength
E=(Hz)(6.626E-34 J/s)

Physics news on Phys.org
ok so I think i figured it out

f=10Hz
t=1/f
t=0.1 sec

E=150mJ/0.1 sec
E=1.5 J/s

is that correct?

I think so, but note that you used E for energy in the statement of the problem and now you're using E for power.

ah yes you are correct, it should of been P=W/s not E

nachos1 said:
ah yes you are correct, it should of been P=W/s not E

Yes, P for power. But now your units aren't correct if W is watts. 1W = 1 J/s. (or is W for "work"?)

Last edited:

1. What is the overall power of a Nd/YAG laser?

The overall power of a Nd/YAG laser refers to the total amount of energy output from the laser, measured in watts. This includes both the continuous wave (CW) power, which is the steady output of the laser, and the pulsed power, which is the energy released in short bursts.

2. How is the overall power of a Nd/YAG laser measured?

The overall power of a Nd/YAG laser is typically measured using a power meter, which measures the intensity of the laser beam at a specific point. The power meter can be calibrated to measure either continuous wave or pulsed power.

3. What factors affect the overall power of a Nd/YAG laser?

The overall power of a Nd/YAG laser can be affected by a number of factors, including the type of pumping source used (such as flashlamp or diode), the efficiency of the laser cavity, and the quality and alignment of the optical components. Environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact the overall power output.

4. What is the typical overall power range for a Nd/YAG laser?

The overall power of a Nd/YAG laser can vary greatly depending on the specific model and application. However, the typical range for CW power is between 1-100 watts, while pulsed power can range from a few watts up to several kilowatts.

5. How can the overall power of a Nd/YAG laser be optimized?

To optimize the overall power of a Nd/YAG laser, it is important to regularly maintain and calibrate the laser components, such as the pump source and optics. Proper alignment and cooling of the laser can also improve overall power output. Additionally, selecting the appropriate pulse duration and repetition rate can help maximize the laser's overall power.