Overcoming Depression: Tips & Advice to Improve Thinking & Focus

In summary, the author discusses how depression took a toll on his short term memory, reasoning skills, and flow. He also mentions how physical activity can be a cure for depression and improve brain functions. He also recommends learning a new language, playing chess, and eating healthy foods.
Telex1234
I had depression 3 years back and was prescribed anti-depressants which my doctor stopped me from taking one and half years back. I am completely cured now but other problems in thinking do persist. I just don't want to talk on why I got depression on first place ! Though I have good mood now, iam struggling with thinking

Before depression took on me, i had a very good short term memory. I was able to remember formulae and when proving a theorem, for example, I could remember the assumptions. With this good memory, i could could link the earlier assumptions with dervied outcome and grasp the proof linking both. But now after being cured, I am still not able to remember smaller assumptions like earlier before depression.

Also, my reasoning skills too decreased. I am not able to reason and can't get the out of box ideas which I got earlier. This limits my thinking on intricacies of working of math models.

I also got my flow reduced. Earlier before depression, I can have good focus and when something interesting is happening, time flies. Now, I don't get such experiences.

My discipline and work ethic too took a toll. I am mostly on my mobile phone. Since my thinking skills reduced i just read economics, history and politics which don't require much thinking .

But some things are improving like iam doing some walking for past one year ( like 5 or 10 minutes) each day. I did lose weight and it gives me confidence.

I feel I will get my earlier style of thinking back with smaller steps as I did with walking. Please do suggest me in how I can change.

Physics news on Phys.org
Telex1234 said:
I had depression 3 years back and was prescribed anti-depressants which my doctor stopped me from taking one and half years back. I am completely cured now but other problems in thinking do persist. I just don't want to talk on why I got depression on first place ! Though I have good mood now, iam struggling with thinking

Before depression took on me, i had a very good short term memory. I was able to remember formulae and when proving a theorem, for example, I could remember the assumptions. With this good memory, i could could link the earlier assumptions with dervied outcome and grasp the proof linking both. But now after being cured, I am still not able to remember smaller assumptions like earlier before depression.

Also, my reasoning skills too decreased. I am not able to reason and can't get the out of box ideas which I got earlier. This limits my thinking on intricacies of working of math models.

I also got my flow reduced. Earlier before depression, I can have good focus and when something interesting is happening, time flies. Now, I don't get such experiences.

My discipline and work ethic too took a toll. I am mostly on my mobile phone. Since my thinking skills reduced i just read economics, history and politics which don't require much thinking .

But some things are improving like iam doing some walking for past one year ( like 5 or 10 minutes) each day. I did lose weight and it gives me confidence.

I feel I will get my earlier style of thinking back with smaller steps as I did with walking. Please do suggest me in how I can change.

Well according to me, physical activity is the best cure for depression and improve your brain functions like thinking, reasoning etc.

Hence you should indulge in a outdoor sport, gym or any other activity that interested you. And its better to choose something challenging.

Other remedies include learning a new language. Learning a language will test your memory, reasoning which will help you regain your lost abilities. You can also try some cognitive activities that are on the internet, can play chess.

And lastly. Eat healthy food. It is the most important thing. Eat plenty of natural vitamins and minerals.

Likes CWatters
There are at least two things which lead to being focused: sheer interest in the topic or discipline. These two play together; but if you don't have the same level of interest you had before, then being focused consistently without discipline is impossible. You should reflect on how you approached the topics you studied previously and try to see if you really had that much discipline before. As for memory, it is fickle. To understand and work with complex ideas you have to be immersed in them consistently. I think you place an unreasonable expectation on yourself to come back to difficult topics and pick up where you left off.

Congratulations on your progress with your health. This is a great first step in building the person you would like to be.

Side comment: I can't help myself: any subject can be read and thought about uncritically, even mathematics. History, economics, and politics are astoundingly complex and have received the singular attention of many smart people.

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

OP has been advised to seek professional medical help. Thread will remain closed.

Last edited:

1. What is depression?

Depression is a mental health disorder characterized by persistent feelings of sadness, hopelessness, and loss of interest in activities that were once enjoyable. It can also manifest in physical symptoms such as changes in appetite and sleep patterns, fatigue, and difficulty concentrating.

2. What are some common symptoms of depression?

Some common symptoms of depression include feelings of sadness, emptiness, or hopelessness, loss of interest in activities, changes in appetite and sleep patterns, fatigue, difficulty concentrating, and thoughts of self-harm or suicide.

3. What are some tips for improving thinking and focus while dealing with depression?

Some tips for improving thinking and focus while dealing with depression include practicing mindfulness and relaxation techniques, setting achievable goals, staying physically active, maintaining a healthy diet, and seeking support from loved ones or a mental health professional.

4. Are there any natural remedies or supplements that can help with depression?

While there is no one-size-fits-all natural remedy for depression, some people have found relief from certain supplements such as omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D, and St. John's Wort. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before trying any natural remedies.

5. How can I support a loved one who is struggling with depression?

If someone you care about is struggling with depression, it is important to offer non-judgmental support and understanding. Encourage them to seek professional help and be there to listen and provide emotional support. You can also help by educating yourself about depression and being patient and compassionate towards your loved one.