Overcurrent Protection: Prevent Malfunctioning Loads & High Efficiency

• Thread starter gnurf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Protection
In summary: Basically, you have two circuits: one that powers the load and one that detects an over-current. If an over-current is detected, the power to the load is shut off and the switch stays in that state until it's reset.
gnurf
I need to prevent a malfunctioning load from drawing too much current from a supply of around 3Vdc@2A(max). There is already a current sensor in series with the load which outputs a voltage, Vsense, proportional to the current drawn by the load.

I was thinking a PMOS switch with the gate tied to the output of a comparator that compares Vsense to a Vref, where Vref would represent the maximum allowed current draw for that load. When a over-current is detected the switch must shut down the load immediately and stay in that state until externally reset (by a microcontroller) or if the load resumes normal operation.

Some kind of hysteresis (or a flip-flop??) -- or something -- is missing from this picture, and I have a feeling there exists some standard way of doing this that I'm unaware of, so any ideas are welcomed. Thanks.EDIT1: Oh, and btw -- high efficiency is a priority.

EDIT2: I've already found what I need (e.g., MAX869), but if you know of a circuit with discrete components that does the same job, I'm still interested for educational purposes.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
gnurf said:
I need to prevent a malfunctioning load from drawing too much current from a supply of around 3Vdc@2A(max). There is already a current sensor in series with the load which outputs a voltage, Vsense, proportional to the current drawn by the load.

I was thinking a PMOS switch with the gate tied to the output of a comparator that compares Vsense to a Vref, where Vref would represent the maximum allowed current draw for that load. When a over-current is detected the switch must shut down the load immediately and stay in that state until externally reset (by a microcontroller) or if the load resumes normal operation.

Some kind of hysteresis (or a flip-flop??) -- or something -- is missing from this picture, and I have a feeling there exists some standard way of doing this that I'm unaware of, so any ideas are welcomed. Thanks.

EDIT1: Oh, and btw -- high efficiency is a priority.

EDIT2: I've already found what I need (e.g., MAX869), but if you know of a circuit with discrete components that does the same job, I'm still interested for educational purposes.

How about a circuit breaker or fuse?

CS

A circuit breaker or fuse as suggested are the simplest ways to go.

If you're looking to go fancy you can try something similar to a crowbar circuit.

1. What is overcurrent protection?

Overcurrent protection is a safety mechanism used in electrical systems to prevent excessive current flow, which can lead to equipment damage or malfunction. It is typically achieved through the use of fuses, circuit breakers, or other protective devices.

2. Why is overcurrent protection important?

Overcurrent protection is important because it helps protect electrical equipment and devices from damage due to excessive current. It also helps prevent electrical fires and ensures the safety of individuals working with or around the equipment.

3. How does overcurrent protection prevent malfunctioning loads?

Overcurrent protection prevents malfunctioning loads by interrupting the flow of current when it exceeds a certain level. This helps protect the load from damage and can also prevent damage to other components in the system.

4. How does overcurrent protection improve efficiency?

By preventing excessive current flow, overcurrent protection can improve efficiency in electrical systems. This is because it helps prevent energy waste and reduces the risk of equipment damage, ensuring that the system operates at its optimal level.

5. What are some common types of overcurrent protection devices?

Some common types of overcurrent protection devices include fuses, circuit breakers, and ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs). These devices can be found in both residential and commercial settings and play a crucial role in ensuring the safety and efficiency of electrical systems.

Back