Overdamping Condition of Nonlinear Equation

• I
  • Thread starter LagrangeEuler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Condition
In summary, the conversation discusses the characteristic equation and roots for a linear equation with coefficients ##\alpha##, ##\beta##, and ##\gamma##. If ## \beta^2<4\alpha \gamma##, the system is underdamped, and if ## \beta^2>4\alpha \gamma##, the system is overdamped. The conversation also mentions the case of a nonlinear equation, where the overdamped limit is important to determine when the term ##\beta y'(x)## dominates over ##\alpha y''(x)##. Finally, the conversation brings up the question of what happens when the equation is not purely linear and includes a constant term.
LagrangeEuler
In case of equation
[tex]\alpha y''(x)+\beta y'(x)+\gamma y(x)=0 [/tex]
where ##\alpha>0##, ##\beta>0##, ##\gamma>0##, characteristic equation is
[tex]\alpha r^2+\beta r+\gamma=0[/tex]
and characteristic roots are
[tex]r_{1,2}=\frac{-\beta \pm \sqrt{\beta^2-4\alpha \gamma}}{2 \alpha}[/tex]
If ## \beta^2<4\alpha \gamma## system is underdamped, and
if ## \beta^2>4\alpha \gamma## system is overdamped.
What in the case of equation
[tex]\alpha y''(x)+\beta y'(x)+\gamma \sin[y(x)]=0 [/tex]
when equation is nonlinear? How to find when system is overdamped? Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you define underdamping in such a situation? Is such an equation even solvable? And does it have periodic solutions (i.e. imaginary exponential parts in its solution)?

Overdamping is when characteristic roots are real and negative, I suppose. But I am not sure how to see that in case of nonlinear equations. I saw in literature that people discuss overdamped limit in case of nonlinear equations, but I am not sure how to do that. Because of that I asked here in the forum.

This limit is to my mind important to see when term ##\beta y'(x)## dominates over ##\alpha y''(x)##.

And just one more question, but very similar that the mentioned. What if we have equation
[tex]\alpha y''(x)+\beta y'(x) +\gamma y(x)=cz+d[/tex]
If ##c## and ##d## are not functions of ##x##? What's happening with condition in that case?

What is the overdamping condition of a nonlinear equation?

The overdamping condition of a nonlinear equation refers to a scenario in which the damping force is greater than the restoring force, resulting in the system being unable to oscillate and instead returning to equilibrium in a slow and smooth manner.

What causes the overdamping condition in nonlinear equations?

The overdamping condition is caused by a high amount of energy dissipation in the system, typically due to a strong damping force or a low amplitude of oscillation. This results in the system quickly losing its energy and returning to equilibrium without any oscillations.

How does the overdamping condition affect the behavior of a nonlinear system?

The overdamping condition causes the nonlinear system to behave more like a linear system, with no oscillations and a slow return to equilibrium. This can greatly reduce the complexity of the system and make it easier to analyze and predict its behavior.

Can a system exhibit both underdamping and overdamping conditions?

Yes, depending on the initial conditions and parameters of the system, it is possible for a system to exhibit both underdamping and overdamping conditions at different times. For example, a system may initially exhibit underdamping before changing parameters and entering the overdamping condition.

Is the overdamping condition desirable in all systems?

No, in some cases, the overdamping condition may not be desirable as it can slow down the system's response and make it less sensitive to changes. It is important to consider the specific goals and requirements of the system when determining the desired damping condition.