Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Overexposed pictures

1. Jul 20, 2006 #1
    I went around campus last week to take some pictures, and I remember the sun was really bright that day. When I saw them at full size I noticed most of them were overexposed. When I took some from in shadows, I expected the white balance of the surroundings to be off because of the light difference, but even ones taken in equal lighting were this way. Here are some examples:

Overexposed in shadow:

Overexposed in equal light:

Ideal exposure:

I use a Kodak Point & Shoot 4.0 megapixel camera, which I know isn't supposed to give me the best shots; however, I'm wondering if anyone knows any tips or special ways of editing that can correct this type of problem.

(Sorry that the pictures are large-- you can save them for viewing and have them appear at screen size in Windows Picture Viewer.)
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2006 #2

Gold Member

Actually, I think that the last one looks great just the way it is.
    I've found that overexposure is very difficult to correct, even in Photoshop 6. Conversely, I've had some that were so dark you couldn't see anything, and they came out almost perfect.
    Anyhow, just go into your 'brightness' and 'contrast' settings in PS and start tweaking. Always make sure to save the changes under a different file name so you can return to the original if you don't like the results.
  4. Jul 20, 2006 #3

Science Advisor

Does your camera have an AE lock? They can be helpful in these setings
  5. Jul 20, 2006 #4

Staff: Mentor

The first one looks ok to me if you're just looking at the tree. The second one has the building exposed properly, which makes the sidewalk overexposed. Unless you have manual exposure settings (a +/- setting) or more advanced manual controls, that can be tough to correct.

For the first one, I'm not sure if you are close enough to the tree for it, but using a flash outside during the day can eliminate shadows and drop the exposure, reducing the overexposure in the background.
  6. Jul 20, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Model number/name?

pic#3 is very good.
  7. Jul 20, 2006 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nice idea - might just work.
  8. Jul 20, 2006 #7
    Thanks everyone.

Thanks to the both of you. I really like how this one turned out and that's the balance of exposure that I want in all of my pictures. It's the other two that disappointed me.

I have control over exposure compensation, that ranges from +2 to -2 that goes in increments of .5. I'm going to check the manual about that setting, and I guess it's a good idea to go out and experiment with it on objects.

It's a Kodak EasyShare LS743
  9. Jul 20, 2006 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, memories. :approve:
  10. Jul 20, 2006 #9

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From playing around years ago I would say the building shot needed a UV filter. Cameras don't "see" the same spectral range that you do and UV is often a problem in outdoor shots.

The filter might have helped with the tree as well, but this kind of shot is difficult at best. Always a trade off between subject too dark and background to bright.
    An extreme example would be a silhouette.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?