Find Reactions to Overhanging Beam

• Thread starter Ozkan Suna
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam
In summary, the conversation discusses finding all reactions for a problem and clarifies that the point of choice does not need to be zero. It also explains how to calculate torques and forces, and how to find the middle between two values. The conversation also emphasizes the importance of defining variables and avoiding confusion.
Ozkan Suna
upload_2017-2-20_11-27-50.png

The question is:

How do I find all the reactions? I haven't worked with a similar problem before, so I'm kinda confused. Hope someone will help!

Thanks from now.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Finding all forces should be easy from the sketch. To calculate their values: Both net force overall and torque around a point of your choice have to be zero in equilibrium.

'' Point of my choice has to be zero '' Does it mean I have to add a charnier? Sorry for the confusion

You don't have to add anything. Pick a random point. Calculate all torques around that point from all the forces. The sum has to be zero.

So if I want the moment ΣMz = 0; Dy * 6a - P*10a - p*5a*2,5a = 0
and then isolate Dy and substitute it in ΣFy = 0; By + Dy = 5ap + P??

If you introduce new variables, you should define them somewhere. An explanation what is what would be useful as well.
Ozkan Suna said:
P*10a
Why 10a?
Ozkan Suna said:
- p*5a*2,5a
","? And assuming you mean 2.5, why 2.5?
Ozkan Suna said:
and then isolate Dy and substitute it in ΣFy = 0; By + Dy = 5ap + P??
Sure.

1) We have a single force at the end of the beam. So I say the force multiplied with the total lenght.

2) From the left side of the beam to the half we have distributed load. So I want to find where the single force attacks, and that is on the half on the beam, right?

Sorry for my bad English!

Ozkan Suna said:
2) From the left side of the beam to the half we have distributed load. So I want to find where the single force attacks, and that is on the half on the beam, right?
What is the middle between "2a to the left" and "3a to the right"?

Oh, so we have to split it up to 2a/2 = a and 3a/2 = 1.5a?

You can split it in two pieces, but simply finding the middle works as well. The middle is not 2.5 a to the right of the support.

1.5 a right?

No.

Draw it on a piece of paper if that helps. Or use signs: Where is the middle between -2 and +3?

a?

Stop guessing please. How do you calculate the average between two values?

Not guessing, it's confusion.
The average of -2 and 3 is: -2 + 3 / 2 = 1/2

Right.

1. What is an overhanging beam?

An overhanging beam is a type of structural element used in construction that extends beyond its support points. It is commonly used to create cantilevered structures.

2. Why is it important to find reactions to overhanging beams?

Knowing the reactions to an overhanging beam is crucial for ensuring the structural integrity and stability of the beam. These reactions can help determine the appropriate size, materials, and placement of the beam.

3. How do you find the reactions to an overhanging beam?

To find the reactions to an overhanging beam, you will need to use the principles of statics and apply the equations of equilibrium. This involves calculating the sum of all forces and moments acting on the beam and setting them equal to zero.

4. What factors can affect the reactions to an overhanging beam?

The reactions to an overhanging beam can be affected by various factors such as the length and material of the beam, the type and placement of supports, and the applied loads. Any changes in these factors can alter the magnitude and direction of the reactions.

5. Can software programs be used to find reactions to overhanging beams?

Yes, there are various software programs available that can assist in finding reactions to overhanging beams. These programs use complex algorithms and equations to accurately determine the reactions, taking into account all the relevant factors and loadings.