Calculating Overlapping Charges: A Chemist's Query

In summary, the conversation is about a chemist trying to calculate the energy of the interaction between two charges spread over two overlapping Gaussians. However, there seems to be an issue with the equations being used and the understanding of the problem. The Gaussians represent regions where charge can be found and the chemist is trying to add a repulsive component to a Madelung energy calculation.
sphericalCat
Another daft chemist question:

I'm looking at two charges spread over two overlapping Gaussians. I want the energy of the interaction, so, I take qq'/r and integrate first over one Gaussian then over the other... except for it all goes up the spout, because the charges are overlapping, and there are a lot of r=0.

There's got to be a really easy way round this, which doesn't involve disrupting the continuity of the Gaussians. What is it??

Physics news on Phys.org
The equations you are using are probably for point charges, I'm not sure you can really speak of overlapping charges - overlapping fileds certainly.

sphericalCat said:
Another daft chemist question:

I'm looking at two charges spread over two overlapping Gaussians.
What do these Gaussians represent ? Are they the regions where charge can be found or are they charge distributions ? The former seems acceptable, the latter is quite unlikely. Anyhow, one cannot be talking about overlapping charges, so there must be something wrong in your understanding of the problem. Could you elaborate some more on the problem description, please ?

marlon

Sorry, sloppy language on my part. We are talking about regions where charge can be found.

What I basically am trying do is to add a repulsive component to a Madelung energy calculation, so I need something to represent ionic cores of finite size.

What is the purpose of calculating overlapping charges in chemistry?

The purpose of calculating overlapping charges is to determine the net charge of a molecule or compound. This information is important in understanding the chemical properties and reactivity of a substance.

How is the overlap of charges calculated?

The overlap of charges is calculated by subtracting the total positive charges from the total negative charges of a molecule or compound. This can be determined by considering the number of protons and electrons in each atom, as well as the overall structure of the molecule.

What is the significance of overlapping charges in organic chemistry?

In organic chemistry, overlapping charges play a crucial role in determining the reactivity and stability of molecules. Molecules with balanced or minimal overlapping charges tend to be more stable, while those with significant overlapping charges may be more reactive.

How does the concept of overlapping charges relate to molecular polarity?

Molecular polarity is heavily influenced by the distribution of charges within a molecule. If the charges are evenly distributed, the molecule will likely be nonpolar. However, if there is a significant overlap of charges, the molecule may exhibit polarity and have a dipole moment.

Are there any limitations to calculating overlapping charges?

Calculating overlapping charges is a simplified approach to understanding the electronic structure of molecules and may not always accurately represent the true distribution of charges. It is important to consider other factors, such as electronegativity and molecular geometry, in addition to overlapping charges for a more comprehensive understanding.