Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Overrate & Underestimate

1. May 17, 2006 #1

Lisa!

Gold Member

which 1 is worse?
    As for me I think overrating is worse. At least when people underestimate your abilities, you have the chance to try hard to prove them wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2006 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

If something is overrated, it's not good.

4. May 17, 2006 #3
    People misoverrate me. :biggrin:

5. May 17, 2006 #4
    As opposed to when people "misunderestimated" Bush? :rofl:

6. May 17, 2006 #5
    Think I overestimating than worst underestimating.

7. May 17, 2006 #6
    overating is worse

8. May 17, 2006 #7
    If you underestimate how much something is overrated, your estimate is less than others. If you overrate how much something is underestimated, your estimate is also less than others. Therefore, the two commute.

What was the question again?

9. May 17, 2006 #8

Lisa!

Gold Member

Don't you feel uncomfortable when people overrate your abilities?:grumpy:

10. May 17, 2006 #9

turbo

Gold Member

Only when the measure of my abilities is subjective. I used to host open-mike blues jams at a local tavern, as well as play in some blues-rock bands. When someone would come in while we were setting up equipment and start gushing about how great their friend so-and-so said my version of Black Magic Woman, Brown-eyed Girl, etc, is, that sets the bar at a certain level. If they heard that I "nailed" Elmore James' "Can't Hold Out", that would take it out of the cover-band arena and more toward a blues purist. Either way, you don't know by what standards you will be measured. That kind of thing bothered me for a while, but after a few years, I figured "I'm playing and singing these songs for ME, and if other people like it, fine. If they don't, that's fine, too - I'm still getting paid. I'll do the songs the way I feel them."

Of course, it's a lot easier if the people come in with low expectations and you can keep them on the dance floor for hours (less beer breaks).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?