Is the Starbucks 9/11 Poster Controversy Valid? An Analysis by Snopes

In summary: Yeah, I think that's what this poster is making me think of.In summary, Starbucks recalled a promotional poster because some customers complained it was too reminiscent of the September 11 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center. Some people saw the poster and thought it was referencing 9/11, which is why Starbucks pulled the ad.
Gza
I was on snopes and came across this article:

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/cool.htm

Starbucks recalled a promotional poster because some customers complained it was too reminiscent of the September 11 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center.

This seems to me to be "digging" for symbolism, and unfair in general. I was just wondering what everyone else thought.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that any representation that includes two long rectangles standing vertically, in close proximity to a suspended, long cylinder with a flat cross member, should be banned forever! :biggrin:

Edit: Of course, if the imagery provokes thoughts of 911 then it probably wouldn't create a positive feeling about the advertised product. In that light I can see why they pulled the ad.

Last edited:
I should have thought the symbolism was obvious, if not outrageous. But its use does call into question the notion of advertisers using subtle (or subliminal) symbolism to promote products, as the symbolism here would certainly backfire, unless the posters were intended to promote sales in the Afghan mountains.

Gza said:
This seems to me to be "digging" for symbolism, and unfair in general. I was just wondering what everyone else thought.
Two cups of slushies sitting in the grass surrounded by butterflies. Yep, first thing I thought of was 9/11. Obviously the butterflies represent the airplanes! (I'm joking). Anyone seeing the World Trade Towers in this poster has a problem.

Thank you Evo. I'm glad at least some people can be sensible about this sort of thing. You can assign a meaning to anything (cfr. the succes of psychoanalysis). This doesn't mean you should.

Evo said:
Anyone seeing the World Trade Towers in this poster has a problem.

Really? What kind of problem?

the number 42 said:
Really? What kind of problem?
They're way too imaginative. I'm not talking about someone being told it represents 9/11 and them thinking, well there are two main items in the picture. I'm talking about someone seeing it without hearing about this. I showed this to several people and even prodded them asking if it reminds them of any particular event. No one made the connection.

It doesn't even make any sense. Why would a coffee shop think that making fun of the World Trade Towers event make people want to drink one of their new fruit drinks? The answer is, this had nothing to do with that event.

So, a poster of two children standing together mocks 9/11? A picture of two trees side by side? Two cups of fruit drinks?

Honestly, if you had seen that poster without knowing what some people thought they were seeing, would you have made any connection?

Last edited:
Evo said:
Honestly, if you had seen that poster without knowing what some people thought they were seeing, would you have made any connection?

Impossible to say, but I do have a good imagination.

I agree that any reference to the 9/11 tragedy must have been unintentional on the basis that Starbucks is a US business. Perhaps the ad was okayed before 9/11? Otherwise I am amazed that the advertising bods didn't see this complaint coming. After all, I have been led to believe that they use subtle symbolism in advertising as a matter of routine, something like an inkblot where most people will see pretty much the same thing there e.g a butterfly, although we all know its just an inkblot. The only reason that I can see that people wouldn't read more into the Starbucks poster is that its just too painful to acknowledge. In fact I feel like apologising for talking about it in what seems like a trivialising context. In fact I'd rather not discuss it further myself, out of respect.

Gza said:
There is no reference to 9/11 inherent in that poster. If someone had presented it to me saying they wanted it to allude to 9/11 I would have said they failed. It takes too much of a cerebral stretch to make any such connection: you have to intellectually abstract the elements to make any such connection work, and precious few people react to visual images that way.

Notice that at the top of the poster it says "Collapse Into Cool." That kind of struck me as odd. But still its rediculous someone would complain about something so stupid.

Or they could have said "Attack your thirst" it's just using marketing buzz words. I guess if they had one more flavor to advertise it wouldn't have been an issue? :wink:

I just think there are too many people with too much time on their hands looking for problems where there aren't any.

Uh oh. I just noticed I have a tall plastic cup and a tall container of powdered coffee creamer sitting near each other on my side table here. What should I do?

zoobyshoe said:
Uh oh. I just noticed I have a tall plastic cup and a tall container of powdered coffee creamer sitting near each other on my side table here. What should I do?
:surprise: Gadzooks man! What are you thinking? Quick, grab one of the containers and move it to another room, otherwise someone will report you for being insensitive!

This has really gotten me to thinking. How many restaurants have you been to that had salt & pepper shakers standing next to each other on a table? How dare they? Don't they know what that means??

Anyone sure this is actually a real Ad?

Yes, I checked and it's real.

Anyone sure this is actually a real Ad?

Snopes is a site meant to separate facts from fictional rumors. And plus, if Evo says it's real, your darn skippy it has to be real. :biggrin:

1. What causes over sensitivity at Starbucks?

Over sensitivity at Starbucks can be caused by a variety of factors such as loud noises, strong scents, and overwhelming visual stimuli. These factors can be particularly challenging for individuals with sensory processing disorders or mental health conditions.

2. How can I manage my over sensitivity at Starbucks?

One way to manage over sensitivity at Starbucks is to plan ahead and choose a quieter location or visit during off-peak hours. You can also try using noise-cancelling headphones, bringing a calming item like a stress ball, or communicating your needs to the barista.

3. Is over sensitivity at Starbucks a common issue?

While it may not be a common issue for the general population, over sensitivity at Starbucks is a very real and valid experience for many individuals. It is important for businesses to create inclusive environments and for individuals to be understanding and accommodating of others' needs.

4. Can over sensitivity at Starbucks be a symptom of a larger problem?

In some cases, over sensitivity at Starbucks may be a symptom of a larger problem such as sensory processing disorder, anxiety, or post-traumatic stress disorder. It is important to seek professional help if you frequently experience over sensitivity in various environments.

5. What can Starbucks do to accommodate individuals with over sensitivity?

Starbucks can make efforts to create more sensory-friendly environments by providing noise-cancelling headphones, offering quieter seating options, and using natural scents instead of artificial ones. They can also train their employees on how to best accommodate and communicate with individuals who may experience over sensitivity.