Overwhelmed by Dust? Tips for Cleaning Up & Reducing Allergies

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dust
In summary, blowing out the dust with compressed air caused symptoms such as an itchy nose and loose stools. There is no surefire way to completely rid of the dust, but opening a window and using a fan are both recommended.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Ahhh so i used a can of compressed air to blow out allllll the dust in my computer case and it was just so much that it filled the air pretty well. I get up and all of a sudden it felt like my stomach detached itself and almost threw up... and of course while sitting right now I am getting that itchy-wanna-sneeze feeling. Is there any way to get rid of all the dust? Its kinda just sitting all over my desk now and i suppose its everywhere else too... how do i get rid of it all :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Try some cellophane or similar plastic. The electrostatic charge on stuff like that sucks dust up like a magnet. Just don't get it too close to any chips.

My desk must have a million electronic things on it unfortunately...

Pengwuino said:
My desk must have a million electronic things on it unfortunately...
The only other thing that I can think of is to use a lower-pressure air source such as an empty squirt bottle to 'herd' the dust into a place where you can safely use a vacuum cleaner or sweeper on it. Don't blow it yourself if any components are exposed, because the humidity in your breath can be harmful.

Just open a window! and dust your room! :rolleyes:

Monique said:
Just open a window! and dust your room! :rolleyes:

You people arent original :D

Pengwuino said:
I could certainly come up with something original, but you wouldn't like it.

Oh dear, dust... I work in a library and occasionally have to move shelves full of material that hasn't been touched for 40 or 50 years. Thats quite bad...
All I can reccomend is dust masks unfortunately :P

Pengwuino said:
Okay then, how about a BIG fan and an open window? :biggrin:

The dust will settle all by itself onto all the surfaces, then a cloth moistened with whatever cleaner is appropriate for the surfaces it landed on will do the job nicely. Oh, yeah, you have to rub that moistened cloth around those surfaces too. :rofl:

lol crazy people :D. All this electrical crap is ruining everything...

1. What are the common symptoms of dust allergies?

The most common symptoms of dust allergies include sneezing, runny nose, itchy and watery eyes, coughing, wheezing, and difficulty breathing. Some people may also experience skin irritation or rashes when exposed to dust.

2. How can I reduce dust in my home?

To reduce dust in your home, you can regularly vacuum and dust surfaces, wash bedding and curtains frequently, use allergen-proof covers on pillows and mattresses, and keep windows closed to prevent dust from entering. It is also helpful to declutter your home and minimize the use of carpets and fabric-covered furniture.

3. How often should I clean to reduce dust and allergies?

It is recommended to clean your home at least once a week to reduce dust and allergies. However, if you have severe allergies or live in a dusty area, you may need to clean more frequently.

4. Are there any natural remedies for dust allergies?

Yes, there are some natural remedies that can help alleviate dust allergies. These include using air purifiers, steam cleaning carpets and upholstery, using essential oils with anti-inflammatory properties, and regularly changing air filters.

5. How can I protect myself while cleaning to avoid aggravating my dust allergies?

To protect yourself while cleaning, you can wear a mask to prevent inhaling dust particles. It is also helpful to open windows for ventilation and take frequent breaks to avoid overexposure to dust. Using natural cleaning products can also be less irritating for those with allergies.