Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Overwhelmed by dust!

1. Jun 10, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ahhh so i used a can of compressed air to blow out allllll the dust in my computer case and it was just so much that it filled the air pretty well. I get up and all of a sudden it felt like my stomach detached itself and almost threw up.... and of course while sitting right now im getting that itchy-wanna-sneeze feeling. Is there any way to get rid of all the dust? Its kinda just sitting all over my desk now and i suppose its everywhere else too... how do i get rid of it all :D

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Try some cellophane or similar plastic. The electrostatic charge on stuff like that sucks dust up like a magnet. Just don't get it too close to any chips.

4. Jun 11, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

My desk must have a million electronic things on it unfortunately....

5. Jun 11, 2005 #4

Danger

Gold Member

The only other thing that I can think of is to use a lower-pressure air source such as an empty squirt bottle to 'herd' the dust into a place where you can safely use a vacuum cleaner or sweeper on it. Don't blow it yourself if any components are exposed, because the humidity in your breath can be harmful.

6. Jun 11, 2005 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just open a window! and dust your room! :rolleyes:

7. Jun 11, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You people arent original :D

8. Jun 11, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

I could certainly come up with something original, but you wouldn't like it.

9. Jun 11, 2005 #8

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Oh dear, dust... I work in a library and occasionally have to move shelves full of material that hasn't been touched for 40 or 50 years. Thats quite bad...
    All I can reccomend is dust masks unfortunately :P

10. Jun 11, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay then, how about a BIG fan and an open window? :biggrin:

The dust will settle all by itself onto all the surfaces, then a cloth moistened with whatever cleaner is appropriate for the surfaces it landed on will do the job nicely. Oh, yeah, you have to rub that moistened cloth around those surfaces too. :rofl:

11. Jun 11, 2005 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

lol crazy people :D. All this electrical crap is ruining everything...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?