Overwhelmed by the exercises in Kleppner and Kolenkow

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding comprehensive problems in the textbook "An Introduction to Mechanics" and the speaker's search for a small set of problems to use. They mention an old MIT course that used Kleppner and Kolenkow, as well as two other courses centered around the same textbook. They also suggest searching for exam solutions or utilizing books like the Schaum's series for practice problems.
inthenickoftime
There are a great number of problems found in An Introduction to Mechanics and as some of you already know they can be very difficult. Due to time constraints I cannot tackle all of them nor do I wish to. Could someone please point me to a small set of comprehensive problems? Perhaps from a course outline?

I would select the problems myself but being new to mechanics I'm unable to decide which problems form a comprehensive set.

Much appreciated

Edit: I have found an old course at MIT that used Kleppner and Kolenkow. Here are the selected problems. Please note the outline below uses the first edition (numbered problems may differ) https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-012-physics-i-classical-mechanics-fall-2008/assignments/

Here are two other course centered on K&K (2nd edition) with selected problems.

http://www.brynmawr.edu/physics/courses/122/assignments122_2015.html

https://users.wpi.edu/~nab/PH2201.html

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you search e.g. "classical mechanics exam solutions" or similar, you get many links which are automatically appropriate since they have been part of a test or homework.

Likes inthenickoftime
Have you looked into the Schaum's series and other books that contain solved problems with explanations? The idea is to have a middle ground between theory and practice. I think Schaum's does a good job of it.

Last edited:

What is the purpose of the exercises in Kleppner and Kolenkow?

The exercises in Kleppner and Kolenkow are designed to reinforce the concepts and principles discussed in the textbook. They provide opportunities for students to apply their understanding of physics to solve problems and develop critical thinking skills.

Are the exercises in Kleppner and Kolenkow difficult?

The difficulty of the exercises in Kleppner and Kolenkow may vary depending on the individual's understanding and familiarity with the concepts. However, they are designed to challenge students and may require some effort and critical thinking to solve.

How should I approach the exercises in Kleppner and Kolenkow?

It is recommended to first read and understand the relevant sections in the textbook before attempting the exercises. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts and use problem-solving strategies such as drawing diagrams, writing down known and unknown quantities, and using equations.

What if I get stuck on an exercise in Kleppner and Kolenkow?

If you are having trouble with an exercise, it is recommended to first review the relevant concepts in the textbook. You can also seek help from your instructor or classmates. It is important to not get discouraged and keep practicing to improve your problem-solving skills.

Are the exercises in Kleppner and Kolenkow important for understanding physics?

Yes, practicing the exercises in Kleppner and Kolenkow is crucial for developing a strong understanding of physics. They help to reinforce the concepts and principles discussed in the textbook and allow students to apply their knowledge to solve problems, which is an essential skill in physics and other scientific fields.