Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Overwhelming problem

1. Mar 15, 2005 #1
    This problem appeared while working on a neural networks practical.
    There are given 12 inequalities (x_0, x_1, x_2, x_3, x_4 unknown) of the form:

[tex]x_0 + ax_1 + bx_2 + cx_3 + dx_4 >= 0[/tex]

or,

[tex]x_0 + ax_1 + bx_2 + cx_3 + dx_4 < 0[/tex],

and that there exists a set of solutions that satisfy all 12 inequalities. I have to find one of those solutions but I don't know where I can start to attack this problem? I'm unable to apply trial and error, due to the high number of unknowns. I'm not finding a rigorous methodology either. Does anyone have any suggestion? Does any software package exist that aids me to do this?
    Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think there's an algorithm for this. Look for the Simplex method.

4. Mar 15, 2005 #3

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, linear optimization/programming methods will do it for you. For example Matlab has a nice set of tools ... at least if you have access to the optimization toolbox.

5. Mar 15, 2005 #4
    Maple can solve systems of linear inequalities, though its capabilities are somewhat limited. I'll give a similar problem a try later.

6. Mar 15, 2005 #5
    I think that this is an optimization method.

7. Mar 15, 2005 #6

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That it is ... but the idea still applies if you proceed solving as a minimization / maximization problem using the inequalities as constraint eqs ... then number of eqs wouldn't pose a problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?