1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Overwhelming problem

1. Mar 15, 2005 #1
    This problem appeared while working on a neural networks practical.
    There are given 12 inequalities (x_0, x_1, x_2, x_3, x_4 unknown) of the form:

[tex]x_0 + ax_1 + bx_2 + cx_3 + dx_4 >= 0[/tex]

or,

[tex]x_0 + ax_1 + bx_2 + cx_3 + dx_4 < 0[/tex],

and that there exists a set of solutions that satisfy all 12 inequalities. I have to find one of those solutions but I don't know where I can start to attack this problem? I'm unable to apply trial and error, due to the high number of unknowns. I'm not finding a rigorous methodology either. Does anyone have any suggestion? Does any software package exist that aids me to do this?
    Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think there's an algorithm for this. Look for the Simplex method.

4. Mar 15, 2005 #3

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, linear optimization/programming methods will do it for you. For example Matlab has a nice set of tools ... at least if you have access to the optimization toolbox.

5. Mar 15, 2005 #4
    Maple can solve systems of linear inequalities, though its capabilities are somewhat limited. I'll give a similar problem a try later.

6. Mar 15, 2005 #5
    I think that this is an optimization method.

7. Mar 15, 2005 #6

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That it is ... but the idea still applies if you proceed solving as a minimization / maximization problem using the inequalities as constraint eqs ... then number of eqs wouldn't pose a problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook