Applying to Study Physics at Oxford: Interviews or Paper-based Decisions?

In summary: I (and 4 other people that day) had an interview just over a week ago. Haven't heard anything yet though. Maybe drop them an email to find out about your application (always good to make sure it hasn't got lost somewhere).In summary, the deadline for accepting offers for the physics group at the maths department at Oxford is 27 March. However, the majority of offers tend to be made quite "late" for UK/EU nationals.
h0dgey84bc
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has experience applying to study physics at the maths dept in oxford...do they generally do interviews before deciding admission? or is it like Imperial where quite often decisions are made solely on paper?

Physics news on Phys.org
I honestly don't know anything about math at Oxford or, indeed, anything about Oxford but why would you study physics at a maths dept of any college? Surely Oxford has a physics department?

HallsofIvy said:
I honestly don't know anything about math at Oxford or, indeed, anything about Oxford but why would you study physics at a maths dept of any college? Surely Oxford has a physics department?

Because theoretical physics is so mathematical, studying "physics" in a maths department is not that far fetched.

Although, h0dgey84bc, to answer your question, they'll ask you in for an interview.

Yeah, the research at the Maths Dept actually suits my interests better I believe...well I hope it will anyway.

Thanks for the reply jph12, I thought they would ask me in, it's just that the deadline for decisions for the "gathered field" I applied within is swiftly approaching (16 Jan!), and they haven't contacted me about interview yet, although theyve confirmed they have all my documents...weird... unless they don't even feel me worthy of interview, hehe

Everyone is still on holiday, so I'd be patient. But, if the question was whether they interview everyone prior to a decision--good or bad--I don't know. It seems that many decisions are made quite late, so I wouldn't take it to heart if your application is deferred. Good Luck!

You can't study Physics at the maths department can you?

I was under the impression you had to do the whole tripos, the Natural Sciences before you concentrated on your specialty.

Confused by exactly what you mean calvinuk, but perhaps you are thinking I mean undergrad physics as oppose to PhD? The group in the maths dept I am applying to is :http://www2.maths.ox.ac.uk/mpg/index.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
h0dgey84bc said:
Confused by exactly what you mean calvinuk, but perhaps you are thinking I mean undergrad physics as oppose to PhD? The group in the maths dept I am applying to is :http://www2.maths.ox.ac.uk/mpg/index.shtml

Totally am.

Didn't read the full thread :)

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone get an email or letter in the post yet (about interviews or offers or rejections) ? I'm getting worried...

yuin said:
anyone get an email or letter in the post yet (about interviews or offers or rejections) ? I'm getting worried...

I wouldn't worry about it just yet, since term hasn't started at Oxford.

This is a good site to check when grad admissions starts to roll out: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=math*

If you go to thegradcafe.com, you can check all grad admissions for all programs or narrow it down to physics, bio, etc.

Anyone from the UK accepted/interviewed for Oxford Math Phys yet? I'm guessing I'm on some kind of waitlist here, unless they interview really late or enjoy torturing me

h0dgey84bc said:
Anyone from the UK accepted/interviewed for Oxford Math Phys yet? I'm guessing I'm on some kind of waitlist here, unless they interview really late or enjoy torturing me

While the last closing deadline is 27 March, the bulk of offers tend to be quite "late" for UK/EU nationals. Since they acknowledge, "Candidates who have not gained an award may transfer their application to the route for unfunded places at any time before the end of July", I would surmise "late" is to be defined "after exams". I know someone who had an interview in December, but it wasn't for that group. I imagine your not getting axed at this point is probably a (relatively) good thing. I'd suggest that you call and inquire as to whether there will be an interview. It may ease your mind a bit. Best of Luck!

h0dgey84bc said:

I (and 4 other people that day) had an interview just over a week ago. Haven't heard anything yet though. Maybe drop them an email to find out about your application (always good to make sure it hasn't got lost somewhere).

bugger, admin told me at this stage there are just 18 people (who haven't been reviewed) all of which would only be considered for unfunded places :(. How can you do an unfunded PhD anyway?? alas

Last edited:

1. What is the application process for studying physics at Oxford?

The application process for studying physics at Oxford involves submitting an online application through UCAS, which includes predicted grades, personal statement, and reference. If shortlisted, applicants will then either be invited for an interview or have a paper-based decision.

2. How is the decision made between an interview or paper-based decision?

The decision between an interview or paper-based decision is based on the strength of the application and the availability of interview slots. However, all applicants are considered equally regardless of the decision format.

3. What happens during the interview for studying physics at Oxford?

The interview for studying physics at Oxford will typically last around 20-30 minutes and will involve questions related to the subject, problem-solving, and scientific thinking. The goal is to assess the applicant's aptitude and potential for studying physics at a high level.

4. What should I include in my personal statement for studying physics at Oxford?

In your personal statement, you should highlight your passion for physics, any relevant academic achievements, and extracurricular activities that demonstrate your interest and skills in the subject. You should also explain why you want to study physics at Oxford specifically and how it aligns with your future goals.

5. How can I prepare for the interview for studying physics at Oxford?

To prepare for the interview, you should review your personal statement and be familiar with your academic background and achievements. You should also practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as research current topics and developments in physics. It can also be helpful to participate in mock interviews to get a feel for the type of questions that may be asked.