Oxidation effect on creep

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for help finding a paper or book on the effects of oxidation on creep in metals. Someone suggests a possible resource but it may not be exactly what the person is looking for.
darkelf
Hello,

I'm writing a paper on the effect oxidation has on creep in metals. I'm a bit lost as I've been able to find is papers on this topic for specific metals. Could anyone suggest a good paper or good book that could help light the way that talks on diffusion creep or better still the effects of oxidation on creep? Or help point me in the right direction. Anything would be quite helpful.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
for your question. Oxidation can have a significant impact on creep behavior in metals. When a metal is exposed to oxygen, it can react to form an oxide layer on its surface. This oxide layer can act as a barrier, limiting the movement of dislocations and reducing the rate of creep.

One important factor to consider is the type of oxide formed. Some oxides, such as aluminum oxide, can actually improve creep resistance by forming a protective layer that limits oxidation and reduces the rate of diffusion.

However, other oxides, such as iron oxide, can actually accelerate creep by increasing the rate of oxidation and causing microstructural changes that weaken the metal. This is especially true at high temperatures, where oxidation can occur more rapidly.

In terms of specific resources, I would recommend looking into papers or books that discuss the mechanisms of oxidation and creep in metals, as well as any studies that have been done on the effects of specific oxides on creep behavior. Additionally, researching the specific metal you are studying and its oxidation behavior can also provide valuable insights.

I hope this helps guide your research and provides some useful information for your paper. Best of luck!

1. What is oxidation and how does it affect creep?

Oxidation is a chemical process where a substance combines with oxygen to form a new compound. It can affect creep by creating a layer of oxide on the surface of a material, which can change its mechanical properties and lead to increased creep rates.

2. Can oxidation increase or decrease creep rates?

Oxidation can both increase and decrease creep rates, depending on the material and the conditions. In some cases, the oxide layer can provide a protective barrier against creep, while in others it can weaken the material and increase creep rates.

3. How does temperature affect the oxidation effect on creep?

Temperature plays a crucial role in the oxidation effect on creep. Higher temperatures can accelerate the oxidation process and lead to more significant changes in the material's mechanical properties, resulting in increased creep rates.

4. Is there a way to prevent or minimize the oxidation effect on creep?

Yes, there are several ways to prevent or minimize the oxidation effect on creep. These include using protective coatings or materials with higher resistance to oxidation, controlling the temperature and atmosphere, and reducing the stress levels on the material.

5. How does the duration of exposure to oxidation impact creep?

The longer a material is exposed to oxidation, the more significant the impact on creep will be. This is because the oxide layer will continue to grow and potentially weaken the material over time, leading to increased creep rates. However, the specific effect will depend on the material and the conditions.