1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Oxidation numbers

1. Nov 7, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Identify the element oxidized and the element reduced, in this chemical equation:
    H3AsO4+H2S ---> H3AsO3+S+H2O

2. Relevant equations
    none

3. The attempt at a solution

So I have learned the rules for oxidation numbers:

1. The oxidation number of an element is always 0 regardless of its subscript. This is true as long as they are not part of compound.
    2. The oxidation number of a simple ion is the charge of the ion.
    3.The oxidation number of oxygen in compounds is -2.
    4. The oxidation number of hydrogen in compounds is +1.
    5.Group 1 and group 2 metals always have a +1, and +2 value, respectively, in compounds.
    6. All other oxidation numbers are assigned so that the net sum of the oxidation numbers equals the net charge of the molecule or complex ion.

So with what I know I can figure out the oxidation numbers for the oxygens and hydrogens in the chemical equation but how do I figure out the numbers for arsenic and sulfur?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2017 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

So let's start with H2S. It has no net charge, so you can apply rules 6 and 4.

4. Nov 7, 2017 #3
    H2 would be +1 but I'm not sure what S would be. Would it be -2 so that it equals +1 overall?

5. Nov 7, 2017 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No, H2 would be not +1. You have two H at +1 each, so it is +2 total for hydrogen. If so, what must be the charge on the sulfur atom so that the molecule is neutral?

6. Nov 7, 2017 #5
    Oh I understand. Thats why S is -2.

7. Nov 7, 2017 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

That's it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted